BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

So much for my predictive powers. Japan well on top of the Colombia ten.

Best team in the AFC for me , despite what the Fifa rankings say.

Sounds like the party has started at the overseas student share house down the road :)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I read the other day - Daily Telegraph I think - that Southgate sees Rose as his starting left back but was worried about his fitness in the heat so was giving Young a chance to impress.

If true thats stupid! If you think your main left back is lacking fitness then surely you keep giving them game time and sub them off when theyre tired, evenutally building to 90 mins. 

58 minutes ago, benhben said:

If true thats stupid! If you think your main left back is lacking fitness then surely you keep giving them game time and sub them off when theyre tired, evenutally building to 90 mins. 

It was the Telegraph; Rose and Young to battle it out

From the article;

Manager Gareth Southgate could choose 32-year-old Young ahead of Rose because the Manchester United man is considered less of a fitness risk in the heat of Volgograd.

But it is understood Southgate sees Rose potentially replacing Young in the tournament and becoming a key man for his England side on the left.

If Rose is fit he should play.

7 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

So apparently both of Kane's penalty appeals were viewed by VAR and deemed fair challenges. I blame Theresa May for pi##ing Putin off. 

How could they be fair challenges. Kane was wrestled over and thrown onto the ground ! I'm glad he got his own back in the best way possible at the end of the game.

• Like 1

I think with the VAR, it seems in that match last night, there comes a point where it looks like they will just be trading penalty kicks. France was given a PK  at the 58 minute vs. Australia, 62 minute, Australia received a PK.  The refs may be hesitant to do that, not wanting to decide the match.

Also, often,  when new rules are implemented, cheaters find a way around them. I don't know if that could happen in this kind of matter though.

Edited by Audax

Those not in favour of VAR, might remember, over the course of a season, the breaks should even out. In a tournament, there's more riding on faulty decisions. That said, yes, there were poor decisions yesterday and probably other matches. I hope FIFA, who seems to be trying to keep a tight rein on things, are advised and likewise, advise on this to keep things fair.

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Good to start with a win but I thought that other than Saudi Arabia Tunisia are as poor team as I have seen, they offered nothing going forward and were all over the place at the back. Rashford has to start ahead of Sterling in the next game Sterling is a fine player for Man City but for England he offers nothing. I don't rate Lingard and don't see what he brings to any team, I would start Loftus-Cheek ahead of him as he offered the team more in 10 minutes las night than Lingard did in 90. And how on earth does Jordan Henderson captain Liverpool and start for England he offers nothing for me he is a rich man's Jason Lowe every pass side ways or backwards and always slows attacks down, I would much rather see Dier play in his place.

Find your comments on Henderson totally baffling. Always seems to be an easy target but he was probably our best player, made quite a few penetrative passes forward, obviously within that role there will be some sideways passes, even from the best in that position, but in the main he looks forward and has a good range of passing.

Not only that, you choose Dier as the man to hopefully eradicate too much passing backwards and sideways! Dier really is crap. 

Overall, thought we were excellent in the first half. Full of energy, pressing, forward momentum, only problem is we need to be far more ruthless. Second half we ran out of ideas.

Sterling is not the same player in an England shirt as you mention, but id play him v Panama as youll never get a better chance to boost your confidence and get off the mark.

Trippier was superb down the right, Maguire was very good too. Lingard was as guilty as anyone in front of goal but he gives us so much energy, and he can score as hes shown for United. An important player, again Southgate needs to say, same again on Sunday, but have more to show from it.

Would bring in Rose for Young to give us some balance, if theres any risk with Alli then Loftus-Cheek can come in, otherwise id leave it as it was.

• Like 2

2 upsets Japan and assuming Senegal win this, really throws this group into a whirl with Colombia and Poland starting with a loss.

Poland with Boruc, played Germany better in 2006, when Poland lost at Germany but only 1-0 with a goal at the death for Germany. That was a fine match.