BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Gary Lineker introduces BBC coverage of this game by saying 'good news, Mo Salah starts for Egypt'.

I don't see why it is 'good news' that the best player in a rival team is fit to start. At this stage it is more of an irrelevance to England what Egypt do but I wouldn't describe it as 'good news' any more than I would consider the absence of Messi, Griezmann or Ronaldo to be beneficial to our chances of being successful.

The BBC seem utterly obsessed with pushing the Premier League product by giving massively disproportionate amounts of coverage to players who are regulars in England, presumably because they think the majority of those watching are only interested in Premier League players or only understand it if there is reference to 'famous names'

Personally one of the things that makes the World Cup worth watching is daily exposure to different players and countries to the same old faces from the Premier League, I'm certainly not getting excited that Salah is fit to play for Egypt so we can all pay homage to him and his goalscoring last season for Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Gary Lineker introduces BBC coverage of this game by saying 'good news, Mo Salah starts for Egypt'.

I don't see why it is 'good news' that the best player in a rival team is fit to start. At this stage it is more of an irrelevance to England what Egypt do but I wouldn't describe it as 'good news' any more than I would consider the absence of Messi, Griezmann or Ronaldo to be beneficial to our chances of being successful.

The BBC seem utterly obsessed with pushing the Premier League product by giving massively disproportionate amounts of coverage to players who are regulars in England, presumably because they think the majority of those watching are only interested in Premier League players or only understand it if there is reference to 'famous names'

Personally one of the things that makes the World Cup worth watching is daily exposure to different players and countries to the same old faces from the Premier League, I'm certainly not getting excited that Salah is fit to play for Egypt so we can all pay homage to him and his goalscoring last season for Liverpool.

It’s because good footballers are exciting to watch mate. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He’s one of the best players in the world at the moment, the beauty of the World Cup, it puts club football aside. For me at least.

Ofcourse it’s good news for any neutral to watch a game with the best players. On reflection, he’s not made much difference first half though, but both teams have had poor final ball or cross.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

It’s because good footballers are exciting to watch mate. 

This isn't exciting to watch, its been garbage and I can't imagine it could have been much worse without him and all the hype.

11 hours ago, Hasta said:

There wasn't an absence of VAR. It was reviewed by the officials in Moscow and decided it wasn't a penalty. It clearly was. 

VAR will stamp out the contentious decisions. Like hell it will.

Throw in the Argentina penalty not given as I said before and you've got blatant decisions not being given.

Once upon a time you would say the referee can't see everything and doesn't have 50 angles like the TV viewer. They've taken that excuse away now so they simply have to get the decisions correct. When they don't it's actually worse than it was before.

But it will expose bias.

The officials last night conspired to cheat.

Almost certainly because it was England.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Leave off. Salah playing is good for him after his bad injury and good for the tournament.

England won't win it or probably even get to the last 8 and are perfectly capable of cocking it up through sheer ineptitude - with or without Salah playing

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Leave off. Salah playing is good for him after his bad injury and good for the tournament.

England won't win it or probably even get to the last 8 and are perfectly capable of cocking it up through sheer ineptitude - with or without Salah playing

Every tournament we get the same thing, and I find it very boring. Hysteria over certain players and making all the focus about Premier League stars.

Anyway, Russia winning so I'm happy with that.

Just now, JHRover said:

Every tournament we get the same thing, and I find it very boring. Hysteria over certain players and making all the focus about Premier League stars.

Anyway, Russia winning so I'm happy with that.

Focusing on a key player and relating him to England's non-chances is equally boring

• Backroom

Amazing how a Russian team who couldn't play worth a damn before the tournament are suddenly apparently one of the best teams in the competition. Granted they've played two horrendous teams, but it's funny how both have basically rolled over for the hosts.

Just now, DE. said:

Amazing how a Russian team who couldn't play worth a damn before the tournament are suddenly apparently one of the best teams in the competition. Granted they've played two horrendous teams, but it's funny how both have basically rolled over for the hosts.

A couple of men dressed in bio hazard suits  had a word with both opposition teams  at half time :)