BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

• Backroom

I was actually shocked when I remembered Rooney was only 24 at WC 2010. I think because he started his international career so early it's easy to forget he's still only 32. Yet whilst Rooney is now seen as old and past it, 33 year old Ronaldo continues to be Portugal's star man. 

I do think if Allardyce had remained as manager Rooney would be in our squad for this tournament, though. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

I do think if Allardyce had remained as manager Rooney would be in our squad for this tournament, though. 

I think their relationship cooled a bit towards the end of the end of the season, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/08/sam-allardyce-wayne-rooney-struggles-against-best-opposition/

More likely Sam would taken Andy Carroll instead

Morocco are out. They are a hard working side with no cutting edge. They outplayed Portugal, but couldn't finish their chances.  

It's being reported that Dele Alli won't be fit for Panama so Ruben Loftus-Cheek will be given the nod.

• Like 1

Perhaps these teams are looking to avoid being embarrassed, we can't help but see a better looking Saudi team. They've gotten blown out in the WC by Germany previously, maybe even Spain too.  I say Saudis lose but keep it down to a goal or two deficit.  It's not like Uruguay was offensively overwhelming.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Hanks said:

I think their relationship cooled a bit towards the end of the end of the season, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/08/sam-allardyce-wayne-rooney-struggles-against-best-opposition/

More likely Sam would taken Andy Carroll instead

He wouldn't have been Everton manager if he was still England manager, though, so I'm not sure he would have had the same insight. 

19 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Morocco are out. They are a hard working side with no cutting edge. They outplayed Portugal, but couldn't finish their chances.  

It's being reported that Dele Alli won't be fit for Panama so Ruben Loftus-Cheek will be given the nod.

He was clearly injured early on in the Tunisia match and he should have come off then. Either the medical staff, Southgate or even Alli himself should have been insistent about this. There is some speculation he could miss the next two games.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/dele-alli-could-miss-last-two-england-world-cup-group-matches-after-minor-injury-strain-a3867636.html

How can a team with two world class fowards be so average? Any proper teams coming up against them will have a field day..i think uruguay are one of the most overrated sides at the world cup.two top class fowards and two class defenders..rest of the team mediocre at best

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 3

I would not be as harsh to call Uruguay mediocre but at this juncture on what we've seen from teams so far in the group stage, I'd call them "2nd tier." Not among the 3 or 4 best.  I guess, it's one's standards that decides this. They certainly don't look like a contender.  That doesn't mean that they could still sneak into the semi-finals.

Edited by Audax

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Have they stopped booking dives now? A few matches have had blatant dives that were not punished.

Think they've been told not to bother. Moses did 3 or 4 dives in Nigeria's first game without being booked.

Same goes for waving imaginary cards and doing the VAR sign to the ref.

39 minutes ago, roverandout said:

How can a team with two world class fowards be so average? Any proper teams coming up against them will have a field day..i think uruguay are one of the most overrated sides at the world cup.two top class fowards and two class defenders..rest of the team mediocre at best

They haven't been at their best and look lacking in the creativity department in midfield.But they are very hard to break down and have 2 superb fowards.They will be better when they play a team who comes at them.What are you basing your opinion on?Did you watch any of their games in the qualifiers?I did we havent seen Uruguay at their best at all yet

36 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It's the size of the country that is their problem.  Population wise they are minnows,two million less than Scotland. They have quite often produced good players but have never enough strength in depth.

• Like 1

Just now, Hanks said:

It's the size of the country that is their problem.  Population wise they are minnows,two million less than Scotland. They have quite often produced good players but have never enough strength in depth.

They haven't conceded a goal and have 6 points from 2 games and they haven't been anywhere near their best yet.

They will be better when they come up against bigger teams who take the game to them.

Best central defensive partnership in the competition and 2 world class fowards.

Calling them average is nonsense in my opinion

I did see a headline this morning where some Egyptian fan was saying the Egyptian president should throw the team into jail.

Anyway, if group A plays group B in the round of 16, next round, it seems to me, Russia and Uruguay will likely play Spain and Portugal, so take your pick on that. I guess, Spain is more ferocious at that though the 2 did draw.

And still, Uruguay won it in 1930 and 1954....they might have refused to go in 1934...and 1954, the sport was grown up enough for that to be very impressive. I believe they also went on a dry spell where they have missed quite a few World Cups in even being there.

Kiss of death but Iran doing well against Spain so far...

In other World Cup news, did anyone see Alan Sugar’s tweet before the Senegal game?

What an absolute prick.

29F8607F-EA80-4D05-BE91-17B10E90A53B.jpeg

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Backroom

I've been impressed with Iran so far. A lot of energy, defending like their lives depend on it, but have also managed a few counter attacks and looked dangerous on the break. Spain really struggling to break them down. 

8 hours ago, Husky said:

Today looks like it could be the most sobering day in the World Cup so far.

Would anyone here bet against Uruguay, Portugal or Spain?

I'd bet against Portugal. They haven't impressed me at all. They didn't impress me in the euros but I can't see them repeating that with Brazil and co in the tournament