BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Sweden bottled that for sure. Their bearded substitute was a walking free-kick and if you keep giving the Germans chances they will score. You have to have grudging admiration for the Germans but it would have been nice to see them going out.

Just now, arbitro said:

Sweden bottled that for sure. Their bearded substitute was a walking free-kick and if you keep giving the Germans chances they will score. You have to have grudging admiration for the Germans but it would have been nice to see them going out.

No admiration just contempt..luck always on their side

Just now, roverandout said:

Afraid it was..sweden could have had 2 or 3 before they scored..maybe thats not luck but the final goal..any other team it would have gone wide

They hit the post, the Swedish keeper was arguably man of the match with several top saves. The game was pretty much played in the Swedish half. Not luck at all. The winning goal was top drawer. 

• Like 4

Just now, arbitro said:

They hit the post, the Swedish keeper was arguably man of the match with several top saves. The game was pretty much played in the Swedish half. Not luck at all. The winning goal was top drawer. 

Sweden could have had a hatful first half..nothing to do with germany second half..sweden went into their shell because they are a limited side who were terrified of the germans

• Backroom

I don't know if I'd call it luck. Sweden were giving Germany every possible chance to equalise. They were giving away silly, dangerous fouls, constantly losing possession, screwing up counter attacks... it was like watching a team of amateurs try to play professionally. They couldn't even do simple things like run a ball into the corner and run down the clock. I was a bit embarrassed for them. They somehow got even worse when Germany went down to ten. If England had given that second half performance they would be crucified, and rightly so. 

• Like 2

Sweden could have had a hatful first half..nothing to do with germany second half..sweden went into their shell because they are a limited side who were terrified of the germans

Terrified of the Germans but could have had a hatful in the first half? 

Just now, arbitro said:

Terrified of the Germans but could have had a hatful in the first half? 

I meant after half time..they sat back..then germany equalised then the swedes panicked..gave the ball away..didnt get out of their own half..do keep up!!

I meant after half time..they sat back..then germany equalised then the swedes panicked..gave the ball away..didnt get out of their own half..do keep up!!

The Germans changed their shape and got the ball forward a lot quicker when they brought Gomez on at halftime. They pressed a lot more and got in between the two banks of four.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

No admiration just contempt..luck always on their side

Yeah I guess when they thrashed Brazil in the Maracana of all places it was just "luck" because Brazil had a bit of an off night (understatement).

They won a free kick (which Sweden gave away but who was in their territory in first place?) which was correct, dominated the 2nd half and scored one of the best goals of the tournament. Sweden played like cowards after the sending off you could see the fear all over them. Perhaps if they had tried to push forward more they would have been crushed but they should have been a bit more urgent going forward rather than hanging on. They could have done with a win as well it's a 3 game group stage for crying out loud.

Edited by Vinjay17

6 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

German lad just got a proper (accidental) kick in the mush. Blood streaming out of his nose. Full credit to him as he just lay there waiting for treatment. 99.99 % of footballers would have rolled over several times, faces etched in agony. 

I know that you know this pal but when a player is really injured they don’t move very much at all. 

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

It wasn't luck that won them the game tonight. 

Agreed, Germany showed why they are the world champions,  they never stopped until the final whistle. Total professionalism determination and efficiency but isn’t that the German philosophy anyway?

• Like 1

Portugal - Spain was a classic, the Germany game ran it close. Intense from beginning to end. Sweden should have had a penalty, and with better decision making could have had another. But the Germans win for a reason. Kroos has won it all at every level. that mentality keeps them moving.

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

The Germans changed their shape and got the ball forward a lot quicker when they brought Gomez on at halftime. They pressed a lot more and got in between the two banks of four.

I was surprised that Gomez wasn't their starting striker. He will be after today. Werner is good but he doesn't fit into the modern German team. Gomez is the latest big man post Klinnsmann. They've had; 20+ years of them; Bierhoff, Jancker, Klose., Gomez.

If my memory serves me Klose didn't start the first game in 2014. As soon as he did they started winning.

Come on England.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/germany-world-cup-scenarios-tiebreakers-how-the-defending-champs-rest-of-group-f-can-advance/

Germany's group F scenarios, yes, it does seem like it's all over but there is one more game to play.

Reading this article, actually, even Mexico can't completely lay their guard down, if somehow Sweden defeated Mexico, Germany defeats South Korea....there is a scenario where Mexico could be held back.   Even South Korea have an outside chance, nobody expects them to defeat Germany, we know.

I can't believe they don't let head to head resolve this. It looks like goal differential is mainly what decides ties in the standings.

Edited by Audax