BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

45 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very reasonable response. The difference with resting players before a Cup Final though is that the opposition is fixed and doesn't become more difficult as a result of resting players for the other game.

I'm surprised more posters Don't consider there to be a huge gulf in quality between Colombia and Japan.

It’s not about getting to the quarter finals though, it’s about winning it. Do you think in 4 years time anyone will care whether we reached the last 16 or quarters? I don’t. Yes Colombia is a much tougher game than Japan, but you have to look further than that.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ironically one of the changes I would have made he didn't. I would definitely have given the back up keeper 90 minutes or even both of them 45 mins each. We Don't want another 1970 Banks/Bonetti type situation if anything happens to Pickford.

Surely Pope is better than Pickford?

• Moderation Lead

If Kane played in the last game, which was a dead rubber anyway and gets injured, Southgate gets terrorised even more, the lad can’t win! 

It would have been nice to win, but this is England! We always make hard work of it. What if we win the group then get the ‘easier’ draw and lose anyway? If you want to win tournaments, you have to beat the best regardless. As it happens, Colombia might just be without James Rodriguez, which is a big blow for them. 

If we play at our best, we are more than capable of beating Colombia. The way some on here are going on, you’d think we’d drawn Spain. 

Relax yourselves.

Edited by K-Hod

It is quite ironic that the good work in terms of winning the first 2 games actually forced Southgate into a lose lose situation and I do feel like the reaction on here and in general is massively over the top.

The way that the draw has opened up means that for me, and its a ridiculous thing to say considering our recent tournament history, but id be very disappointed in anything less than the semi finals. If we lose to Colombia, who are a good team, and far superior to Japan but a team we are slight favourites over, then Southgate deserves criticism for only getting us to the last 16, it is an underachievement and he would deserve criticism for that, but not based on his team selection for the game before, its irrelevant now.

Southgate certainly doesnt deserve credit for "engineering" a favourable route either, lets be clear, but I don't for one second think he tried to lose v Belgium, his priority was to keep our best players intact, one I agree was critical to us going far. This also gave the chance to give our squad players some game time as we will need a couple of them going forward, sadly they didnt take the opportunity to push for a start.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Very reasonable response. The difference with resting players before a Cup Final though is that the opposition is fixed and doesn't become more difficult as a result of resting players for the other game.

I'm surprised more posters Don't consider there to be a huge gulf in quality between Colombia and Japan.

Yes, the two should play head to head.

• Like 1

Ok. Stand up people. Put both your arms in the air and then lean over to your right. Now, look at where your hands are . . . If you needed to catch or stop a ball that was going past your right side which hand would you be best to use?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

It’s not about getting to the quarter finals though, it’s about winning it. Do you think in 4 years time anyone will care whether we reached the last 16 or quarters? I don’t. Yes Colombia is a much tougher game than Japan, but you have to look further than that.

Well it's 28years since we made the semis and we don't shut up about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Husky said:

Ok. Stand up people. Put both your arms in the air and then lean over to your right. Now, look at where your hands are . . . If you needed to catch or stop a ball that was going past your right side which hand would you be best to use?

Depends on the shot, but in this case, the one that can go higher.

The left.

(just realised I think you agree?)

Edited by S8 & Blue

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It is quite ironic that the good work in terms of winning the first 2 games actually forced Southgate into a lose lose situation and I do feel like the reaction on here and in general is massively over the top.

The way that the draw has opened up means that for me, and its a ridiculous thing to say considering our recent tournament history, but id be very disappointed in anything less than the semi finals. If we lose to Colombia, who are a good team, and far superior to Japan but a team we are slight favourites over, then Southgate deserves criticism for only getting us to the last 16, it is an underachievement and he would deserve criticism for that, but not based on his team selection for the game before, its irrelevant now.

Southgate certainly doesnt deserve credit for "engineering" a favourable route either, lets be clear, but I don't for one second think he tried to lose v Belgium, his priority was to keep our best players intact, one I agree was critical to us going far. This also gave the chance to give our squad players some game time as we will need a couple of them going forward, sadly they didnt take the opportunity to push for a start.

The press need something to batter England for, this is the latest overblown reaction. It's ridiculous. It's also par for the course on here that people moan and groan. Southgate did what he saw best for the team. As has been said, if he played Kane and then Kane picked up an injury it would have been a much worse outcome. 

Professional athletes want to win. Those lads playing on Thursday want more game time so wanted to impress. There has been endless debate on Rashford v. Sterling. I don't think that Rashford did enough to warrant a start. It would have been in his best interest to run rings around Belgium and have scored 2 giving Southgate a real headache. As it was he ran up a lot of blind alleys and missed an absolute sitter.

England were through after 2 games therefore Southgate was preparing for the next round. I doubt that he thought "ooh, I'll lose this one so we may get an easier quarter final opponent."  He will take it 1 game at a time. I think that England are the only team to use all 20 outfield players. That experience is invaluable.

The only things Southgate has done wrong is choosing Pickford over Pope, and not taking a young fast Wildcard (like Sessegnon). Especially as we're still crying out for some pace on the left.... coupled with the fact  that taking players like Welbeck is just a joke and waste of a squad place.

France generally has a very sound defence, they did have a lapse earlier but to me, that's a trademark of French teams along with some players almost seeming able to catch passes with their foot.... speaking of which, another pen maybe, no free kick.... really took him down near the box, oh, my....nothing on the Free Kick

Edited by Audax

43 minutes ago, Husky said:

Ah, I remember this one from my eleven plus. Now, let’s think, what did I put? Hmm, left! No...right! Damn, I can’t remember. I’ll come back to it.

• Like 1

Umtiti, the French defender, currently on for ‘baby of the match’ trophy. The Argie’s hand just caught him in the face and he went down like he had been shot, face etched in pain.

A great little clip on social media a few days ago highlighting the difference between men’s and women’s football. Ronaldo, challenged by someone (who didn’t actually make contact) went down, holding his face, rolled over a couple of times, in apparent agony. The next bit of the clip showed a lass, blood pouring from her nose, obviously having been properly whacked in the face. She just carried on running and spat out a load of blood. 

These ‘men’ should be hauled before the cameras after the game and made to explain their actions.

• Like 2