BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

What, even if we'd been facing Japan?

Uruguay were tipped weeks ago to do well by one of the South American correspondents on Talk Sport and I've been meaning to back them for ages and not done it but managed to get a tenner on them at 16/1 in play when they were 1 up which I thought was very good value considering.

They are a big dark horse, alot may depend on Cavani's injury as if hes out its arguably the best strikeforce of the tournament ripped apart. 

As mentioned, add to that in my opinion the best centre back in the world and his club team mate who is also terrific. Then 7 players perfectly drilled to press and defend as a team, that may be not of the same quality as the main 4, but play for the likes of Juventus, Inter Milan and Torreira who Arsenal are signing and youve got an outside chance.

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What, even if we'd been facing Japan?

Uruguay were tipped weeks ago to do well by one of the South American correspondents on Talk Sport and I've been meaning to back them for ages and not done it but managed to get a tenner on them at 16/1 in play when they were 1 up which I thought was very good value considering.

Yep. We’re going to have to play at 100% against ANYONE to go through.

I got them at 28/1, feeling pretty confident they could do it.

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe theres no shame of going out to Colombia, a very good team, but of course how far we go should be a barometer for success.

The group we got put in was incredibly weak in that Tunisia and in particular Panama are far inferior. Progression from that whilst of course being positive to see should have always been fairly elementary and so it proved.

The route we have is also favourable, if we go out to Colombia in the last 16, its hardly a minnow and they might feel the same about it, but it would not be a successful tournament if we go out on Tuesday night.

I think you are underestimating the quality in the England team too, Kane, Alli and Trippier are all key for Tottenham, Lingard and Young for Man United, Stones, Walker and Sterling for City and Henderson for Liverpool, thats the majority of our team playing key roles for the Premier League top 4, we are short of the likes of Brazil, Spain and France but we arent of the quality (or lack of) that renders last 16 elimination as a success.

Today’s games have put the frighteners right up me.

We’re a stubbed toe away from Gary Cahill playing in a game like that last one.

Would be a cricket score unless we can play with that kind of intensity and quality. 

Hope we can.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe theres no shame of going out to Colombia, a very good team, but of course how far we go should be a barometer for success.

The group we got put in was incredibly weak in that Tunisia and in particular Panama are far inferior. Progression from that whilst of course being positive to see should have always been fairly elementary and so it proved.

The route we have is also favourable, if we go out to Colombia in the last 16, its hardly a minnow and they might feel the same about it, but it would not be a successful tournament if we go out on Tuesday night.

I think you are underestimating the quality in the England team too, Kane, Alli and Trippier are all key for Tottenham, Lingard and Young for Man United, Stones, Walker and Sterling for City and Henderson for Liverpool, thats the majority of our team playing key roles for the Premier League top 4, we are short of the likes of Brazil, Spain and France but we arent of the quality (or lack of) that renders last 16 elimination as a success.

I think that's all fair. We are miles off the standard of players that  Brazil, Spain, France and Belgium have, and lack the kind of individual quality of Croatia or Uruguay, but we're competitive against anyone else who got through.

The target remains the quarter finals. That's a good tournament. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think that's all fair. We are miles off the standard of players that  Brazil, Spain, France and Belgium have, and lack the kind of individual quality of Croatia or Uruguay, but we're competitive against anyone else who got through.

The target remains the quarter finals. That's a good tournament. 

The thing is, either potential quarter final on paper is v a weaker side than Colombia, so if we went out at that stage, obviously they are useful sides themselves, but it would still be met with disappointment.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yup them and Croatia really shoe that being a small nation doesn't need to be a hindrance.

Wonder how many world cups Yugoslavia would have won if they had stayed together. Think of a mix of the Serbian and Croatian teams with some of the best players from Switzerland (assuming their families had stayed) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Wonder how many world cups Yugoslavia would have won if they had stayed together. Think of a mix of the Serbian and Croatian teams with some of the best players from Switzerland (assuming their families had stayed) 

I think those Swiss players like xhaka and Shakiri are Albanian, so would not actually have been from the former yugoslavia area.

Anyhow agree both Croatia and Serbia are good teams, plus you would have Dzeko from Bosnia in there too. But its not a new thing - yugoslavian national football team was a big beast of international football. Made two European championship finals, finished third and fourth at the world cup, and won gold and three silvers at the Olympics. Great pedigree.

Edited by joey_big_nose

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Really enjoyed both game today and I haven't watch much of the world cup as I been working or with family. Watched every game that England have been involved in. 

The whole tournament has been really enjoyable to watch. Cant beat the World Cup, shame the authorities with a winter world cup and expanding it to 48 teams seem intent on ruining it.

“Ethnic Albanian” but from Kosovo I thought?

They make the team. 

I agree it would have been a fantastic squad, and they would be punching far above their weight still.

Maybe a little tension in the dressing room though.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The whole tournament has been really enjoyable to watch. Cant beat the World Cup, shame the authorities with a winter world cup and expanding it to 48 teams seem intent on ruining it.

I ain't that interest in international football these days and the next world cup being a winter world cup is such a mess

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Been football of the highest quality, as you saw with France v Argentina. Agreed on the next World Cup.

some poor countries involved in world cup and made games very one sided. 

From what Ive seen today matches were the best ones so far. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

some poor countries involved in world cup and made games very one sided. 

From what Ive seen today matches were the best ones so far. 

How do you know they were one sided if you didnt see them? Haha.

South Korea and Mexico both beating Germany, Spain held by Morocco and only just beat Iran who also drew with Portugal. Switzerland drew with Brazil who also didnt score v Costa Rica until injury time. France just beat Australia. Iceland drew with Argentina who also toiled v Nigeria. Uruguay just beat Saudi Arabia.

Barring the odd exception (Panama) the smaller countries held their own, creating a lot of interesting games. Part of the beauty of the World Cup group stages are David v Goliath ties and now we are at the serious stage, and already Germany, Portugal and Argentina are out. Been fascinating.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know they were one sided if you didnt see them? Haha.

South Korea and Mexico both beating Germany, Spain held by Morocco and only just beat Iran who also drew with Portugal. Switzerland drew with Brazil who also didnt score v Costa Rica until injury time. France just beat Australia. Iceland drew with Argentina who also toiled v Nigeria. Uruguay just beat Saudi Arabia.

Barring the odd exception (Panama) the smaller countries held their own, creating a lot of interesting games. Part of the beauty of the World Cup group stages are David v Goliath ties and now we are at the serious stage, and already Germany, Portugal and Argentina are out. Been fascinating.

Ive seen the games Ive wanted too live if allow to. Plus watched highlights of lots of games. 

Most of the games you mention werent good quality and very boring apart from South Korea and Mexico both beating Germany, Spain Portugal game plus a couple of others

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Been football of the highest quality, as you saw with France v Argentina. Agreed on the next World Cup.

Thought id struggle to have much interest with neither Ireland or Italy  involved but it has still been pretty good.

Dipping in and out of games but France v Argentina was immense and thought Uruguay very impressive. 

Spain v Russia brings together two countries which are being found out- Russia badly exposed by Uruguay and Spain as far less than their constituent parts. If Spain click like the French did yesterday, this could be a humiliation for the home nation. Got a feeling that Sergio Ramos or Pique will see red in this one.

Croatia v Denmark looks equally imbalanced. Cannot see past a Croatia win but the Danes will hang in there. Modric to further enhance his stellar reputation- always been a player I have loved to watch.  

There were four teams playing yesterday that were all at least a goal better than England. The work rate of the Uruguay team was amazing, you could have wrung their shirts out in the sink after the game. That's what playing for the shirt means to me. When did our lot last play with that level of intensity ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ive seen the games Ive wanted too live if allow to. Plus watched highlights of lots of games. 

Most of the games you mention werent good quality and very boring apart from South Korea and Mexico both beating Germany, Spain Portugal game plus a couple of others

You really can’t make statements like that after not watching any of the non-England games.

This World Cup has been a brilliant spectacle. There has only been a single 0-0 and that’s because both sides conspired to make it so.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its been one of the best World Cups I have seen so how you can come up with an opinion like this without even watching hardly any of it is stupid. How can you expect others to respect your opinion on anything when you trot out crap like this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't half chat some rubbish Chaddy. The world cup has been superb. Having not watched the games you're in no position to formulate this opinion

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Husky said:

No VAR controversies in the knock-out phases so far. Perhaps it's all building up for Tuesday. . .

There was a clear shirt pull on Griezman that should have resulted in a penalty. Amazingly VAR didn't see it as a clear and obvious error so it wasn't referred.

The outstanding feature of the WC so far has been the quality of the goals. 

It's probably the most open WC I can remember and the real quality players have been allowed to express themselves. It must be a record to have so few red cards at this stage.

• Like 1