BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No but by that same token many of the team dont play in the same formation as they do for their clubs.

The tattoo is to do with his dad I believe being shot when he was little. It has a meaning to him and to be quite frank has nothing to do with anyone else and is no reason to give him any stick. The laughing gas wasnt a recent thing was it?

Did he play any worse than Alli and Lingard? I dont believe so but theres no strong continued argument about their inclusion.

Hes an incredibly talented player whose posted some really impressive numbers in terms of goals and assists for City this year. I dont understand the constant hounding he gets. Take your point about him being a professional but to be fair I do think he needs a goal badly to boost his confidence.

I think Raheem sterling occupies the opposition and he played well in the first half against Columbia. Regarding his  tattoo - it is his own business to a point. Footballers/people in the spot light need to be good role models , with current issues surrounding guns I think it fair to say it may have been unwise. 

I take it the tattoo is new ? If not why has he only just had it done now.

was the gun used an Ak 47? 

Why have the tatoo in such such a prominent place ?

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

I think Raheem sterling occupies the opposition and he played well in the first half against Columbia. Regarding his  tattoo - it is his own business to a point. Footballers/people in the spot light need to be good role models , with current issues surrounding guns I think it fair to say it may have been unwise. 

Because he shoots with his right foot, I believe. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44285455

Edited by K-Hod

Maradona and Colombia are crying about the recent game calling it a 'robbery' and the ref was biased. Typical Latin American behaviour-cheat, foul and play with cynicism then act like branded pigs when it doesn't go their way. Seen it with Colombia, Argentina, Panama.....

It's on the BBC sport website, just not sure how to link it on this tablet.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr
  • Like 1

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Maradona and Colombia are crying about the recent game calling it a 'robbery' and the ref was biased. Typical Latin American behaviour-cheat, foul and play with cynicism then act like branded pigs when it doesn't go their way. Seen it with Colombia, Argentina, Panama.....

https://news.sky.com/story/monumental-robbery-maradona-lashes-out-after-england-v-colombia-game-11426216

Colombia have been moaning ever since the defeat but how anyone can call us cheats after their antics is beyond me. No metion of the double headbut by anyone from their side, the scuffing of the penalty spot and the constant abuse of the official. And to say Kane dived is laughable.

The irony of Maradona calling England cheats too!

Would a certain Colombian product and links to those that sell it be why Maradona is so keen to side with them?

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, AshleyClifford said:

So it can be seen?

Why just before the WC? - guaranteed publicity imo.

For someone supposedly deeply private about his father I find the tatoo an odd choice. Read up about the shooting if you have not already.

The tatoo is alledgedly unfinished so after public opinion and marketing strategies have been analysed no doubt it will be.

For the record I don't care why he has had it done or when.

I hope he scores for England and makes assists......like soon,  now!

Lots of very interesting stats in today's  " Guardian " , I'll just quote a few - Shot's outside the area in open play, we're joint last of all the teams with Australia, just one shot ! Alli and Sterling have both had one shot at goal, Lingard has had two. Since France 1998 only two teams out of fourteen that won a penalty shootout have gone on to win their next game. England have scored one goal ( a pen ) in their last four hours of World Cup football.

Food for thought there.

The Swedes are confident - Hakan Mild a former top player has this to say about us " They are spoilt kids who earn a lot of money. They don't have the desperation ( hunger ) needed. It couldn't be a better draw ( for Sweden ). They think they are so good but they are not ".

I would have agreed with that in the past, things may have changed now.

Well we'll see on Saturday afternoon.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

So it can be seen?

Why just before the WC? - guaranteed publicity imo.

For someone supposedly deeply private about his father I find the tatoo an odd choice. Read up about the shooting if you have not already.

The tatoo is alledgedly unfinished so after public opinion and marketing strategies have been analysed no doubt it will be.

For the record I don't care why he has had it done or when.

I hope he scores for England and makes assists......like soon,  now!

I have little interest either, a tattoo is a tattoo and people can pretty much do what they like. Kids play with toy guns in the street idolising Stallone and Arnie or on their computer games - so the glamorizing of guns goes far deeper than that of a tattoo that a footballer has decided to get.

I do not buy the link to his father part of it though and think he just stupidly made a connection of 'shooting' with my right foot only thinking it was clever. A more private tattoo somewhere else would have been more appropriate such as his dads face or a message to him. Ill-advised at best but it has been blown a bit over the top tbh - just wish he would be a bit more lethal with his gun-firing right foot to be honest.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lots of very interesting stats in today's  " Guardian " , I'll just quote a few - Shot's outside the area in open play, we're joint last of all the teams with Australia, just one shot ! Alli and Sterling have both had one shot at goal, Lingard has had two. Since France 1998 only two teams out of fourteen that won a penalty shootout have gone on to win their next game. England have scored one goal ( a pen ) in their last four hours of World Cup football.

Food for thought there.

The Swedes are confident - Hakan Mild a former top player has this to say about us " They are spoilt kids who earn a lot of money. They don't have the desperation ( hunger ) needed. It couldn't be a better draw ( for Sweden ). They think they are so good but they are not ".

Southgate should pin Mild's quote on the dressing room wall.

Sweden will commit petty fouls throughout the game, dive for fun and time waste. They are not an easy team to play as they break up play so often. An early England goal would help us immensely.

If Sterling, Lingard and Ali are up for it we have too much pace for the Swedish defence.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Food for thought there.

Well sweden a poop

I keep hearing tales of Sweden being England’s bogey team. While I agree we don't seem to have beaten them too often recently, the record looks pretty even to me??
Last 10 results (friendlies included)

Sweden 4-2 England (2012 friendly)
Sweden 2-3 England (Euro 2012)
England 1-0 Sweden (2011 friendly)
Sweden 2-2 England (World Cup 2006)
Sweden 1-0 England (2004 friendly)
England 1-1 Sweden (World Cup 2002)
England 1-1 Sweden (2001 friendly)
England 0-0 Sweden (Euro 2000 qualifier)
Sweden 2-1 England (Euro 2000 qualifier)
England 3-3 Sweden (1995 friendly)

A single-goal victory or penalties beckons, I think, and it can go either way .

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Maradona, the drugged up fat dwarf quite a few shillngs short of a pound, prostituting himself on TV ....... how unusual.

Meanwhile his mates can get back to satisfying his daily needs.

• Like 3

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I keep hearing tales of Sweden being England’s bogey team. While I agree we don't seem to have beaten them too often recently, the record looks pretty even to me??
Last 10 results (friendlies included)

Sweden 4-2 England (2012 friendly)
Sweden 2-3 England (Euro 2012)
England 1-0 Sweden (2011 friendly)
Sweden 2-2 England (World Cup 2006)
Sweden 1-0 England (2004 friendly)
England 1-1 Sweden (World Cup 2002)
England 1-1 Sweden (2001 friendly)
England 0-0 Sweden (Euro 2000 qualifier)
Sweden 2-1 England (Euro 2000 qualifier)
England 3-3 Sweden (1995 friendly)

A single-goal victory or penalties beckons, I think, and it can go either way .

Think it's comes from what Southgate was saying the other day, a team we've consistently under estimated. We've often seen them as a side we expect to beat, and more often than not it's ended up as a draw. Interesting to see how it pans out now that it's a knockout game and not a group match.

I know it's not panned out this way so far, but I think if we get the first goal then I'd back us to win this fairly comfortably. Watched Sweden against the Swiss, and whilst they were clearly very well drilled, there was a serious lack of quality and pace when going forward. I don't think they have the players to really take the game to us if we get in front, just a case of making sure we can crack them first!

Just now, roverandout said:

I would say slightly more in england's favour as we have better players

Agreed. We have more pace, skill and flair if all are up for it.

This will be a game of attrition and Sweden have players who can and will put the foot in, Berg and Delaney being examples.

It may come down to who wants it most.

• Like 1

Think the Sweden team are pretty much like one of their famous companies, once you figure out their instructions there is always a piece of the puzzle missing, once you work around it ,  a swift turn of a Alli(n)(sic) key  and a short time later the whole lot comes crashing down.

Fingers crossed it's football's and not meatballs coming home !!! 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Has anyone else  noticed how much trashtalk other teams engage in recently?

I'm sure a few other teams' associates have done it over last few years. I guess it's  all pathetic attempts to have some sort of effect on our team and unsettle them. 

Doesn't seem to work as far as I can tell. Empty vessels make the most noise and all that. 

It's another reason I like the current England set up. They don't react or retaliate to any of it. Just stick their heads down and get on with their jobs.

I see it as very similar as Rover's domestic campaign. Paul Cook gobbing off like some deranged lunatic, and our lot just ignoring him. 

I'm pretty proud of both setups at the minute. And it's a long, long time since I last said that. Long may it continue.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Agreed. We have more pace, skill and flair if all are up for it.

This will be a game of attrition and Sweden have players who can and will put the foot in, Berg and Delaney being examples.

It may come down to who wants it most.

Agreed but i think delaney plays for denmark

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Alli, Sterling and Lingard numbers are appalling, didn't realise it was that bad! Needs to be addressed desperately.

The one goal in four hours one is a bit daft. In the three hours before we scored eight! That's just cherry picking.

Edit - I just checked the official stats. Lingard has actually had eight shots. Just only two on target. Which is somewhat a different message. Sterling has had 5. Alli has had a pathetic 3 in total!

And Kane has only had 9. But he scored 6 of them! And three of them penalities.

Shots on goal by out forward players does seem a significant issue even if not quite as bad as you made it sound!

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Agreed but i think delaney plays for denmark

He does. To be honest though, Thomas Delaney- strong Danish name.....

• Like 1

• Backroom

I'm amazed Sweden netted three against Mexico. Not sure what happened there. They've only managed to score one goal in all of their other matches so scoring a couple should in theory see us through.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I think saturday sterling will turn up..got a feeling its all going to come into place

I have the same feeling. We need that lad in the team, watch what the opposition do whenever he gets the ball (retreat), and despite being low in confidence he never hides and always shows for the ball. 

Can't believe some of the stick he gets - blimey we even need a scapegoat when things are going quite well!?

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3