BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Listening to some of the Man Yoo/Liverpool 'fans' in the office, going absolutely potty about England - much more than I've ever heard them when it comes to 'their' club, just shows how unattached to these megaclubs they really are.

Made me feel quite smug that I really support a proper/local football club with its accompanying highs and lows, that feeling of being really part of something,  they only get a taste of our lives for a few weeks every other summer...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Backroom

I still think we will at least get to the final, may be the usual getting carried on a wave feeling but this time it’s different there isn’t a Brazil or Germany to get past in a quarter final!

We’ve had our chunk of good fortune with the way it’s panned out now it’s down to us to make the most of it, feels a once in a lifetime chance.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Listening to some of the Man Yoo/Liverpool 'fans' in the office, going absolutely potty about England - much more than I've ever heard them when it comes to 'their' club, just shows how unattached to these megaclubs they really are.

Made me feel quite smug that I really support a proper/local football club with its accompanying highs and lows, that feeling of being really part of something,  they only get a taste of our lives for a few weeks every other summer...

I can’t imagine supporting a club where unmitigated success is just the expectation, how can you truly appreciate it then?

• Like 3

• Backroom

A lot of the proper Man Utd supporters genuinely despise the England national team. They never got over the whole "stand up if you hate Man U" chants and the Beckham vilification from the late 90's. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Whilst I am definitely Rovers before I'm England, I still very much enjoy any success of the England National Football Team in the same way I enjoy Rovers!

• Like 2

The amount of people who have said I don't watch England there shite etc etc all through qualification usually armchair united and Liverpool fans have come out in force since the Colombia result. The same ones that where out in force for the champions league final and fa cup but didn't bother with the earlier rounds. I think there is more than one way to support a club and they get there enjoyment out football differently to us. They use it as a social thing to have a pint without investing into the club. Rovers to me is like a family member. Will always be there through good and bad and love it. Couldn't be with out it. They can't understand traveling to Ipswich on a Tuesday night and going straight work. They think I'm mental.they don't understand it and I don't understand how you can scream at the tv with such passion in a final and then not bother watching your team against Brighton the week after. Suppose it would be boring if we where all the same.

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

It's great to see England win, I just wish we were playing with a little bit more control in midfield. We're good enough to beat Sweden although I'm not taking anything for granted. After that we could struggle. At least our side of the draw is much easier. I know it suits us but if I was a Belgian I'd be calling for the last 8 to be drawn out of the hat like the FA Cup.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

They use it as a social thing to have a pint without investing into the club. Rovers to me is like a family member. Will always be there through good and bad and love it. Couldn't be with out it. They can't understand traveling to Ipswich on a Tuesday night and going straight work. They think I'm mental.they don't understand it and I don't understand how you can scream at the tv with such passion in a final and then not bother watching your team against Brighton the week after. 

Nailed it.

And I'm happy with my choice!

Im not overly convinved by three at the back and two wing backs. We finished against colombia with 5 defenders two defensive midfielders and then a huge gap to lingard Vardy and Kane. 

I dont think a game agaist Sweeden requires a 5 at the back formation, although its likly they wont want to change the system mid way through a tournament. Its always important to have back up options though. I think Rashford needs a chance from the start (in a game we actually want to win) and Rose gives us much more width than Young. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst I am definitely Rovers before I'm England, I still very much enjoy any success of the England National Football Team in the same way I enjoy Rovers!

There was a period in the  mid-00's when I went off the national team. I found it difficult to support the likes of Terry, Ashley Cole, Rooney, etc. Supporting England is much easier now that those types of characters are gone. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, DE. said:

There was a period in the  mid-00's when I went off the national team. I found it difficult to support the likes of Terry, Ashley Cole, Rooney, etc. Supporting England is much easier now that those types of characters are gone. 

I think this is why it feels so different this time. We're supporting a team again instead of a bunch of egos.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, benhben said:

Im not overly convinved by three at the back and two wing backs. We finished against colombia with 5 defenders two defensive midfielders and then a huge gap to lingard Vardy and Kane. 

I dont think a game agaist Sweeden requires a 5 at the back formation, although its likly they wont want to change the system mid way through a tournament. Its always important to have back up options though. I think Rashford needs a chance from the start (in a game we actually want to win) and Rose gives us much more width than Young. 

I agree, you can find the three centre backs marking one striker at times yet they still never bring the ball out from the back. I thought that was why we had John Stones in the team.

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think this is why it feels so different this time. We're supporting a team again instead of a bunch of egos.

Indeed. Some of these players have egos, granted, but all sportspeoole do. You don't become a champion without a bit of an ego. It's not the same as it was with some of the cretins who wore the England shirt 10-12 years ago. 

Having an English manager helps too. I've always thought it was wrong and embarrassing for a country of our footballing pedigree and development to be using foreign managers for the national team. Just another factor that made it hard to connect with England teams recently. Admittedly I was equally opposed to Roy but that's mainly because I felt he was the wrong man for the job in every possible way, and so it turned out to be. 

• Backroom

I’m never overly invested through the qualifying stages admittedly then get fully on board at tournament time. Although I have to admit that it’s so much easier now we don’t have the likes of Rooney, Terry and Gerrard in there.

It doesn’t help that qualifiers disrupt the flow of the normal football season.

Absolutely loving all the ‘it’s coming home’ memes 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

I’m never overly invested through the qualifying stages admittedly then get fully on board at tournament time. Although I have to admit that it’s so much easier now we don’t have the likes of Rooney, Terry and Gerrard in there.

It doesn’t help that qualifiers disrupt the flow of the normal football season.

Qualifiers used to have a bit of peril in them, certainly not a given we'd get to the tournament. Think of Terry Butcher covered in blood, the draw in Rome that got us to France '98, Beckham versus Greece at Old Trafford etc.

Now we are always top seeds and due to many more European countries post USSR and Yugoslavia, plus all the micro nations, we almost always get a group with a Slovakia/Slovenia, a Lithuania/Estonia, a San Marino/Andorra, so we functionally qualify with no excitement whatsoever. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Qualifiers used to have a bit of peril in them, certainly not a given we'd get to the tournament. Think of Terry Butcher covered in blood, the draw in Rome that got us to France '98, Beckham versus Greece at Old Trafford etc.

Now we are always top seeds and due to many more European countries post USSR and Yugoslavia, plus all the micro nations, we almost always get a group with a Slovakia/Slovenia, a Lithuania/Estonia, a San Marino/Andorra, so we functionally qualify with no excitement whatsoever. 

Don't FIFA intend to double the number of teams in the World Cup finals in the near future? 64 teams!!---qualifying should be a breeze and the groups will be so lop-sided, much more than now.

Good old FIFA-------milk it for all its worth.

In place for the 2026 World Cup.

They know that it will be a well attended World Cup in North America and they'll be able to charge top dollar. So just imagine the brass they will rake in with twice the teams!

Edited by Mattyblue

I've put a fiver on Sterling tomorrow as anytime goalscorer. Think he is bringing a lot to the team that is going unnoticed and that others can't provide. Deserves a goal to stick it to The S*n.

But I really think Alli needs to step up. When he's on it he is immeasurably better than Loftus-Cheek.

Niggle or not, he seems to be playing within himself and with a fear that doesn't seem to affect Lingard, Kane et al. -  reminiscent of the "Golden Generation" and freezing on the big stage.

Don't trust Rose at the back, but he probably should play vs. Sweden, after that no changes for me.

If the team all play well we should win.

Play with the same heart, determination and "fight" as the last round then I'm pretty happy either way.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-06 at 11.21.57.jpeg

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Think our biggest threat tomorrow could be the fatigue/knocks from Tuesday night.

Would bring in Rose for Young and maybe Loftus-Cheek and Rashford for Alli and Sterling, although id be worried that the quality is dropping with them 2 changes.

Sweden are possibly as limited a team as you could get in the quarter final of a World Cup, so we are favourites, Berg and Toivonen have very little quality but they could be a threat from set pieces with the likes of Granqvist, and also Forsberg is a good player coming in from the left.

Think we need to be a lot braver and a lot more progressive in attack tomorrow, didnt feel we were that threatening v Colombia so we need to step it up.

Talking of arrogance..its not coming from england..its coming from those second rate ex sweden players plus mr quarter-final himself erricson.  Hope we hump the jumped up no-marks (and no thats not arrogance)

Edited by roverandout