BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Wouldn't be shocked if Russia beat Croatia. They're the hosts so will get a better deal from the officials. Hosts tend to raise their game too. Us vs Russia semi final, we'd better be uber disciplined or we'll be seeing a red card, no doubt. England vs Croatia? It may seem arrogant, but I think they'll be more scared of us than we are of them, ala Colombia. Just need to get past Sweden. Fingers crossed we don't fuck it up.

13 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

England beat Sweden , Croatia beat Russia, France beat Belgium, Croatia beat England , France win the world cup. You heard it here first. Feel free to quote me next Sunday ?

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. I think for us semi final is progress. I would be disappointed if we went out tomorrow. This England team will be the ones to beat come the next European Championships. 

Hopefully I’m wrong and “ It’s coming home “

• Like 1

This young side has already out-performed realistic expectations.

I just hope a fortunate side of the draw and several ‘big’ teams going out doesn’t raise expectations above where they should be.

Given where we have got to (best 8 in the world) I hope that elimination tomorrow doesn’t take away from what Southgate and his charges have achieved.

Tomorrow we should be under no pressure, looking to enjoy the occasion, and gain some valuable experience. But that’s not how Engerland fans whipped up by the English media works. “It’s only Sweden - how many PL players do they have?”

If we win the tournament, it’ll be a miracle. One which will soon be ‘taken away’ from us after a few weeks when the British media decides we got lucky by not playing any of the top sides.

Belgium are the strongest side left and it’ll take a bad decision by a player or official for them to win. Still think Russia in Russia are the dark horse.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not me, if you look back nearly ever time he had the ball in the second half he lost it. Why do you think he got subbed ?

if you're defending a lead against Brazil and you're going to take one of your front 3 off, you're probably not going to take Hazard or De Bruyne off. 

Thought he was outstanding tonight

2 minutes ago, wolfie said:

if you're defending a lead against Brazil and you're going to take one of your front 3 off, you're probably not going to take Hazard or De Bruyne off. 

Thought he was outstanding tonight

First half he did well, second half he was a liability. I don't take much notice of what Danny Murphy says, I go off what my eyes are telling me. He'd have been a penalty taker in the event of a shoot out so you'd keep him on normally.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

First half he did well, second half he was a liability. I don't take much notice of what Danny Murphy says, I go off what my eyes are telling me. He'd have been a penalty taker in the event of a shoot out so you'd keep him on normally.

Not sure if anyone takes any notice of what Danny Murphy says. He's stealing a living off the license payers as much as he was at Ewood.

Thankfully I watched the game with the sound down

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This young side has already out-performed realistic expectations.

I just hope a fortunate side of the draw and several ‘big’ teams going out doesn’t raise expectations above where they should be.

Given where we have got to (best 8 in the world) I hope that elimination tomorrow doesn’t take away from what Southgate and his charges have achieved.

Tomorrow we should be under no pressure, looking to enjoy the occasion, and gain some valuable experience. But that’s not how Engerland fans whipped up by the English media works. “It’s only Sweden - how many PL players do they have?”

If we win the tournament, it’ll be a miracle. One which will soon be ‘taken away’ from us after a few weeks when the British media decides we got lucky by not playing any of the top sides.

Belgium are the strongest side left and it’ll take a bad decision by a player or official for them to win. Still think Russia in Russia are the dark horse.

Think youre being very harsh here and are writing off this tournament too easily. Totally get the need to also look at further tournaments but expectations DO change dependant on the draw, in this instance, a very favourable one, no matter how you dress it up, and it is a chance to get far, albeit winning it will be unlikely. I expected quarter finals based on the draw, but things do change, I expected Brazil/Germany in the quarter finals, not Sweden.

If we go out tomorrow to Sweden, people will be understandably very frustrated because we are rightfully the favourites tomorrow. Not ashamed like they have been in the past, but looking at the opposition and the chance it represents of realistically getting to a semi final, it would be a kick in the teeth. Swedens front 2 is Ola Toivonen, a far from prolific 32 year old playing in France, and Marcus Berg, a 31 year old playing in the UAE. Their star player is Emil Forsberg who is a big danger, but alongside him, other team mates include Seb Larsson who recently played for Hull. No matter how you downplay it, the calibre and ability in our team far exceeds theirs ON PAPER, I am well aware that it doesnt work like that, and it wont be easy, they are no mugs, but its not ignorance or arrogance to see tomorrows winnable, albeit far from easy match, as alot more than a chance to gain some experience. 

The paragraph in bold is not right either, if we won the World Cup theres not a chance it would be anything but wildly celebrated.

• Like 5

This is the best chance we will ever have of going all the way. It would be heartbreaking, no disrespect to sweden, to go out to a team like them. We are the favourites because we have far better players.  Alot of their players dont even play regular first team football. They arent like their neighbours denmark who have an outstanding player like erikkson.  They have no talisman in their team.  The days of zlatan or brolin or dahlin are long gone.  If we take the game to them from kick off we should be able to open them up with pace.  Im going for 2-0

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Think youre being very harsh here and are writing off this tournament too easily. Totally get the need to also look at further tournaments but expectations DO change dependant on the draw, in this instance, a very favourable one, no matter how you dress it up, and it is a chance to get far, albeit winning it will be unlikely. I expected quarter finals based on the draw, but things do change, I expected Brazil/Germany in the quarter finals, not Sweden.

If we go out tomorrow to Sweden, people will be understandably very frustrated because we are rightfully the favourites tomorrow. Not ashamed like they have been in the past, but looking at the opposition and the chance it represents of realistically getting to a semi final, it would be a kick in the teeth. Swedens front 2 is Ola Toivonen, a far from prolific 32 year old playing in France, and Marcus Berg, a 31 year old playing in the UAE. Their star player is Emil Forsberg who is a big danger, but alongside him, other team mates include Seb Larsson who recently played for Hull. No matter how you downplay it, the calibre and ability in our team far exceeds theirs ON PAPER, I am well aware that it doesnt work like that, and it wont be easy, they are no mugs, but its not ignorance or arrogance to see tomorrows winnable, albeit far from easy match, as alot more than a chance to gain some experience. 

The paragraph in bold is not right either, if we won the World Cup theres not a chance it would be anything but wildly celebrated.

Immediately it will but then the question marks will come. “Tin pot World Cup” will be the gibe. Nice problem to have mind.

I don’t feel like favourites tomorrow by any stretch. What you see as old and below par is experienced beyond England years.

Sweden knocked Germany out. Let’s not big ourselves up beyond what we thought at the start of the tournament.

If we get through tomorrow then we will rightly get excited but it’s not a given. I just don’t want what has been a great WC for us suddenly be seen as a failure.

Just now, Stuart said:

Immediately it will but then the question marks will come. “Tin pot World Cup” will be the gibe. Nice problem to have mind.

I don’t feel like favourites tomorrow by any stretch. What you see as old and below par is experienced beyond England years.

Sweden knocked Germany out. Let’s not big ourselves up beyond what we thought at the start of the tournament.

If we get through tomorrow then we will rightly get excited but it’s not a given. I just don’t want what has been a great WC for us suddenly be seen as a failure.

Sweden didnt knock germany out..south korea did

• Like 1

I think most at the start of the WC, with the draws - most of us would have expected a minimum of getting out of the group. Reaching the QF is now somewhat better than most would have expected. Sure, we have a chance to go further than we have done in a very long time and who knows, even make a final and have a chance at winning it - but wahtever happens tomorrow, the kids have done better than the minimum that was expected in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Neymar is so easy to dislike. Diving cheat who was really poor tonight. The best Brazil player by far this tournament has been Coutinho.

I think Marcello distinguished himself. I didn't realise what a great player he is until Russia.

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

England beat Sweden , Croatia beat Russia, France beat Belgium, Croatia beat England , France win the world cup. You heard it here first. Feel free to quote me next Sunday ?

Sweden beat England and then lose to Croatia who, in turn, lose to this year's World Cup winners, Belgium. How's that?

16 minutes ago, bazza said:
2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Sweden beat England and then lose to Croatia who, in turn, lose to this year's World Cup winners, Belgium. How's that?

I think that is the only possible outcome other than mine but I still think I'm right. ?

Sweden was last in the World Cup in 2006. This time in 2018. they defeated Mexico, 3-0, that one with Germany could have gone either way, really.  If England win, it won't be easy. It's a challenge.  I think the game looks very drawish. I just hate the shootouts though. I'm not sure if I can take another one of those. Sweden's made some of these recent Euros I believe; but did not have outstanding performances. They might be hungry.

And I do think Belgium CAN defeat France and yes, they appear to be the best side out there.

Can't say enough about Belgium, yes, Brazil certainly missed chances. I'm happy for Belgium, a bit sad for a proud footballing nation like Brazil. I'll leave it at that. Red Devils may well be the best side out there.

Where I'm playing the prediction game,  most people are picking England and Croatia. That Croatia/Russia match stumps me as well. It's hard to count Russia out. Croatia pretty good.

Edited by Audax