BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

46 minutes ago, AdamRochina said:

No I'm a realist .. I'm proud of us today but I'm being real ..the way we have performed at times this world cup and the teams we have faced I would fear for us against a full Belgium side or France.  That's if we are not knocked out against a good tactical side like Croatia but that's 50/50

We’ve not even won it yet and the ‘tin pot world cup’ brigade have sent one in!

Have a word with yourself. Enjoy the result. Have a great early Summer evening in the sunshine and worry about the opposition later.

This is now the equal most successful World Cup in my lifetime. I’m normally the miserable (realistic) bugger and I’m delighted.

❤️ ? ? ? 

• Like 7

Maybe Sweden's early morning hotel fire-alarm call upset their schedule..... glad it was a false alarm and that all ok, including any English fans in the hotel.............

I was critical of Pickford when it became clear he was No. 1 - I take it back, he has been outstanding and today made 3 great saves.

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

No one remembers that German team either. People only remember that Brazil side that was miles ahead of everyone else in that tournament. Well that and the rather suspect refereeing for the Koreans.

What have the so called "elite" teams done in this tournament though?

Italy and Holland couldn't even qualify.

Germany lost to South Korea and Mexico, and were only able to scrape past a Sweden team we just dominated with a 95th minute winner. 

Argentina were horrendous throughout the tournament, getting battered by Croatia, drawing with Iceland and then getting brushed aside by France (the 4-3 scoreline massively flattered them). 

Brazil drew with Switzerland in their group (who Sweden beat to face us) and were then dispatched by Belgium who have great players but aren't elite level. 

Spain and Portugal both struggled in a group with Iran and Morocco. Spain were then dumped out by Russia whilst Portugal were beaten by Uruguay, who are good but hardly elite level either.

Meanwhile we were in a group with one of the tournament's best teams in Belgium, and the highest ranked African team in Tunisia.  We beat a Colombian team who smashed Poland and beat a decent Senegal team. We have now comfortably gotten past a Swedish team who got out of a group including Germany and Mexico, and beat a good team in Switzerland to get to the quarter finals. Our semi will either be against the host nation (never an easy game) or a Croatian side who have looked very dangerous up until now.

It's simple to call our route "easy" but bigger teams at this tournament have come up short against supposedly "easy" teams and the teams we have faced thus far and will face in the semis have had generally excellent tournaments. If we get to the final it'll be fully deserved and worthy of praise. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We’ve not even won it yet and the ‘tin pot world cup’ brigade have sent one in!

Have a word with yourself. Enjoy the result. Have a great early Summer evening in the sunshine and worry about the opposition later.

This is now the equal most successful World Cup in my lifetime. I’m normally the miserable (realistic) bugger and I’m delighted.

❤️ ? ? ? 

What AR is missing is that in recent years Greece, Italy and Portugal have won major tournaments with steady sides. You don't have to be amazing to win tournaments, just out-do what's in front of you.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

What have the so called "elite" teams done in this tournament though?

Italy and Holland couldn't even qualify.

Germany lost to South Korea and Mexico, and were only able to scrape past a Sweden team we just dominated with a 95th minute winner. 

Argentina were horrendous throughout the tournament, getting battered by Croatia, drawing with Iceland and then getting brushed aside by France (the 4-3 scoreline massively flattered them). 

Brazil drew with Switzerland in their group (who Sweden beat to face us) and were then dispatched by Belgium who have great players but aren't elite level. 

Spain and Portugal both struggled in a group with Iran and Morocco. Spain were then dumped out by Russia whilst Portugal were beaten by Uruguay, who are good but hardly elite level either.

Meanwhile we were in a group with one of the tournament's best teams in Belgium, and the highest ranked African team in Tunisia.  We beat a Colombian team who smashed Poland and beat a decent Senegal team. We have now comfortably gotten past a Swedish team who got out of a group including Germany and Mexico, and beat a good team in Switzerland to get to the quarter finals. Our semi will either be against the host nation (never an easy game) or a Croatian side who have looked very dangerous up until now.

It's simple to call our route "easy" but bigger teams at this tournament have come up short against supposedly "easy" teams and the teams we have faced thus far and will face in the semis have had generally excellent tournaments. If we get to the final it'll be fully deserved and worthy of praise. 

Not sure what any of that has got to do with what you quoted me saying. But you say it's simple to call our route easy that's because it has been the easy route are you seriously telling me that you would have rather played the likes of France, Belgium, Brazil & Uruguay than Sweden & Colombia? There's nothing wrong with getting the easy route but lets not delude ourselves into thinking England are world beaters just yet. Also other than Germany going out in the group stage I'm not sure any of the other major nations have gone out to 'easy' teams maybe you could include Spain but I would say they were knocked out by their own FA as their chances were doomed from the minute they sacked their manager one day before the tournament.

13 hours ago, philipl said:

Uruguay without Cavani allowed France to play a few meters furher up the field than they would have done otherwise producing a routine win..

Brazil v Belgium was magnificent.

A mix of Belgium really are this good (fabulous defensive effort and what a player Hazard is) and Brazil really aren't as good as they had been hyped. Sticking with that as the game which decided the eventual winners although France v Belgium will be immense.

Croatia should have far too much for Russia to be able to handle and man for man England are stronger than Sweden in at least five positions, no worse in five other positions and decisively better in Kane. Yes Sweden can win, but if you played tonight's game ten times, England would win six, three would be draws and Sweden would win once.

Great set of lungs, squealed like a bitch every time he was touched.  Wish he would stop embellishing.

• Backroom
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Not sure what any of that has got to do with what you quoted me saying. But you say it's simple to call our route easy that's because it has been the easy route are you seriously telling me that you would have rather played the likes of France, Belgium, Brazil & Uruguay than Sweden & Colombia? There's nothing wrong with getting the easy route but lets not delude ourselves into thinking England are world beaters just yet. Also other than Germany going out in the group stage I'm not sure any of the other major nations have gone out to 'easy' teams maybe you could include Spain but I would say they were knocked out by their own FA as their chances were doomed from the minute they sacked their manager one day before the tournament.

What I'm saying is you can only judge teams in the tournament on how they've performed, and I can't see any reason to bring up us having an "easy" ride when supposedly better teams have fallen short against opponents we have been able to overcome. 

Just now, DE. said:

What I'm saying is you can only judge teams in the tournament on how they've performed, and I can't see any reason to bring up us having an "easy" ride when supposedly better teams have fallen short against opponents we have been able to overcome. 

So I'll ask you again would you rather play the likes of France, Brazil, Belgium & Uruguay than Colombia and Sweden? Personally I would much rather play Sweden & Colombia.

And who are these better teams that have fallen short against opponents we have overcome? Yes Germany went out in Sweden's group but they still beat Sweden with 10 men. So who are the other teams?

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What AR is missing is that in recent years Greece, Italy and Portugal have won major tournaments with steady sides. You don't have to be amazing to win tournaments, just out-do what's in front of you.

That Italy team was superb! Buffon, Cannavaro, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti, Del Piero etc......correct on the other two however! 

22 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Not sure I'd  say that Italy team was a steady team I'd say it was a very good team, far better than anything I have seen in this tournament. As for Greece and Portugal that was in the European Championship which unlike the World Cup has occasionally produced surprise winners you could also add Denmark in 92 to that list. 

Chuffed to bits.  All this talk of lucky draw tickles me.  IF we played......(insert name of GOLIATH football team, any one of those sat home watching) we would lose is clutching at straws.  Scraping the barrel for a reason to moan.  Have we played well? Not really, what is the age old adage abiut winning when not at your best?  

Thing is all these GOLIATHS, have in one way or another been put out by the teams left.  Football is not played on paper that's why we all love this game.  Naysayers, stop turning over stones to justify your negativity, to prove yourself right.  Just sit back in your armchair and enjoy the ride, best showing in 28 years.

Sterling is a dilemma, first touch poor, finishing poor, pass selection poor, crossing poor.  That said however he does have pace he does have skill and he definitely occupies the thoughts of the defenders.  Why on earth did he not pass to Englands best finisher?   The opposition do have to respect him for that reason alone I'd leave him in.  Alli and Lingard combined beautifully for the second so perhaps that will prove a timely boost to their confidence and we can see more of what they are capable of.  Maguire, I did not watch hardly any Prem football last season so I was like who?, has impressed me some.  

Sweden being crap?  well if not for a couple of great stops by Pickford I would not be watching videos of England fans singing coming home.

Truly fun stuff to be this far in the World Cup AND still have a REAL interest I'm just going to enjoy it.  My gut feel though is we are just one mighty clanger or fat envelope VAR decision from going home.

Who do we want? Croatia worries me because of their ability to put together a special moment but I am more concerned about the spectre of facing the home nation with our history of going out to "suspect" refereeing.

That said, if we can bank on a level playing field with the officiating then I think Russia is the one I would rather face. 

• Like 2

Fact is, Brazil failed, Germany failed, Spain failed, Portugal failed, Uruguay failed, Mexico failed...................England have not yet. So who gives a sweaty minge about how well team X or Y are compared to England, or how Ronaldo or Pussy Neymar are so much better than Lingard. They are at home now watching it on TV. If you want to circle jerk the top players wait until the Champions League starts and buy yourself a Real Madrid shirt. You think Portugal care that they were crap during 95% of Euro 2016? Or Greece in 2004?

• Like 2

Just now, Doaksie said:

What would be better than a Russian victory for England? A Russian victory after extra time. 

Another 30 minutes for either side tonight is just another little element going England's way.

I think I'd rather play Croatia. Nothing to fear from either team but Croatia strike me as a side very mentally fragile side, because lets be honest with the players they have they should be capable of beating Russia & Denmark comfortably yet against Denmark they were second best against & were no better than Russia tonight.

This competition is a total joke. There is going to be some sort of inquest 1 month after the comp finishes with drug testing of all participants. The Whistle blower from Russia (now in hiding) of the Olympic Athletes has stated the Russians will be full of banned substances as it is state sponsored. How on gods earth can they run so many more miles more than the opposition? FIFA should have banned them at same time as IOC and moved the tournament.

Just now, ossyian said:

This competition is a total joke. There is going to be some sort of inquest 1 month after the comp finishes with drug testing of all participants. The Whistle blower from Russia (now in hiding) of the Olympic Athletes has stated the Russians will be full of banned substances as it is state sponsored. How on gods earth can they run so many more miles more than the opposition? FIFA should have banned them at same time as IOC and moved the tournament.

Fake News. Which one the The Times, The Guardian, BBC, Sky or The Mail do you work for?

Edited by Ewood Ace