BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

There's not enough end product with Lingard and Alli for me, Lingard especially is too easily shrugged off the ball in my opinion. He's used to playing in the Premier League were every little push is a free kick. In this World Cup pretty strong challenges have been allowed and he's not up to the challenge.

Young looks what he his, a winger being asked to play full back. It's a bit like us playing Conway there. Having to keep coming back onto his right foot is slowing us down. That second or two it takes to change feet is the difference between Kane being marked or not being marked. If you can't land a corner accurately you shouldn't be taking them. That's a given for me.

Stirling looks like he could go the rest of his career for England and not score a goal. He doesn't even look like scoring. Look at the golden chances he's had this tournament. He's fluffed the lot and badly fluffed them at that. He's the sort of player that can do the instinctive things well but give him time to think and he invariably takes the wrong option.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's not enough end product with Lingard and Alli for me, Lingard especially is too easily shrugged off the ball in my opinion. He's used to playing in the Premier League were every little push is a free kick. In this World Cup pretty strong challenges have been allowed and he's not up to the challenge.

Young looks what he his, a winger being asked to play full back. It's a bit like us playing Conway there. Having to keep coming back onto his right foot is slowing us down. That second or two it takes to change feet is the difference between Kane being marked or not being marked. If you can't land a corner accurately you shouldn't be taking them. That's a given for me.

Stirling looks like he could go the rest of his career for England and not score a goal. He doesn't even look like scoring. Look at the golden chances he's had this tournament. He's fluffed the lot and badly fluffed them at that. He's the sort of player that can do the instinctive things well but give him time to think and he invariably takes the wrong option.

Well all I can say is Alli, Young and Lingard hardly put a foot wrong yesterday. Player for player it was a weak Sweden team but they put Italy and Netherlands out and ran Germany very close.

I think the only reasonable question is do we have better players to swap them out for, and I would say definitely not for Lingard and Alli. Maybe for Young and Sterling.

Will France or Belgium have a better midfield than us if we reach the final? Absolutely. Enormously better. But since we don't actually have any superior players to put in ahead of Alli and Lingard then I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Think we have what it takes to beat Croatia. Imagine getting to a final? 

Luck, easy draw, major teams not performing - could not care less, a final is a final and that is all that will be remembered.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Luck, easy draw, major teams not performing - could not care less, a final is a final and that is all that will be remembered.

That's about right. Like Tyrone I'm not convinced by Southgate and in devil's advocate mode we arguably haven't beaten anyone decent yet but that doesn't matter now. 

It was a pretty good performance yesterday and all that matters now is winning the next two games by hook or by crook regardless of performance.

These players Don't want to be remembered as the team that blew the best chance ever of winning the trophy by going out to Croatia in the semi final or the guys that lost our first World Cup Final for 52 years.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well all I can say is Alli, Young and Lingard hardly put a foot wrong yesterday. Player for player it was a weak Sweden team but they put Italy and Netherlands out and ran Germany very close.

I think the only reasonable question is do we have better players to swap them out for, and I would say definitely not for Lingard and Alli. Maybe for Young and Sterling.

Will France or Belgium have a better midfield than us if we reach the final? Absolutely. Enormously better. But since we don't actually have any superior players to put in ahead of Alli and Lingard then I wouldn't fret too much about it.

I would have said oxlade chamberlain would have been a good alternative if he had been available..the exciting thing is there still some really good youngsters ready to break through..hopefully people like nathan redmond fullfill their potential

Edited by roverandout

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

You mustn't have been watching the same game as me then. All I can remember of Alli in the first half is a succession of miss placed passes. Second half he got involved more but he's a show pony for me. As you say who would we replace him with ? There's no answer to that one.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I thought England were solid. No one a bad game. Some had iffy moments but overall it was a good performance. Sterling is still getting pelters. He's not finishing but his contribution yesterday was very good. He never stops moving. 

I'd rather play Croatia than Russia. 

Same team again for the next game. No injuries, no suspensions, and no extra time fatigue.

Come on England.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, roverandout said:

An another topic i think some of the credit has to go to big sam....for being a greedy get..if it wasnt for him i highly doubt we would be in the semi final of a world cup

Absolutely spot on.

I hope he's full off regret the greedy swine, he still believes he did nothing wrong.....

What a ****.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think if everyone is fit we'll start with the same 11 that started yesterday but I remain to be convinced regarding several players. Lingard, Alli, Stirling, Young to name a few names

I agree with that. I'd probably add Walker to that list not because of poor performance but I just don't have the same confidence in him as I would the other centre backs. I backed Southgate and glad to see him doing well. I did however stress butland had to be number one and Pickford would at some point cost us big time. How wrong could I have been with that one. The guys been sensational. Maguire has been imcredible also and can see a united or Liverpool moving for him after the tournament. I never understood the Jordan Henderson fans either up until around February where he has looked a different class. I also backed Sterling to be the difference for England and still maybe more hope now than believe he can have a significant impact against croatia. I'd hope to see loftus cheek start in place of alli despite the goal also and Rose has to play at left back

Edited by Oldgregg86

Thought Sterling was much more of a threat yesterday. Looks a completely different player running at people or playing on the shoulder looking for a ball over the top.

He's no natural goalscorer, and often makes the wrong decision, but he's still a threat.

I'd be surprised if Southgate changes anything, thought the performance yesterday was pretty good given the nerves etc.

Croatia are pretty much big physical lads at the back, and not quick, must be able to make some chances vs that.

• Like 1

Interesting article here:

Eden Hazard made these World Cup predictions and lots have come true

<snipped>

In the round of 16 he correctly predicted that England would beat Colombia, Brazil would overcome Meixco and Uruguay’s victory over Portugal.

Then in the quarter-finals he said Belgium would get the better of Brazil, which they did, and that France would prove too strong for Uruguay.

See more at: https://sports.yahoo.com/eden-hazard-made-world-cup-predictions-lots-come-true-085517903.html

A few misses but overall, very good.

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

An another topic i think some of the credit has to go to big sam....for being a greedy get..if it wasnt for him i highly doubt we would be in the semi final of a world cup

You think Southgate is a better manager than Allardyce?

I thought Sterling was very fortunate to start the tournament ahead of Rashford and even more fortunate to retain his place in the side on the back of some dire performances prior to yesterday. However, whilst he still didn't look like providing a goal threat, his overall play was much better yesterday.

Delle Ali for me is a class act who if he is anywhere near at his best is always likely to pop up with an important goal when it really matters which is exactly what he did yesterday. I Wouldn't change anyone on the back of a solid performance. We made a load of changes for the Belgium game and arguably lost all the momentum generated by the Panama game.

Expect 4 or 5 changes then. ☺️

d0e6fd4080b04f21aaab2d46d7e1eee3.jpg

https://themoscowtimes.com/photogalleries/russian-football-out-of-the-spotlight-62104

Young Russians playing in one of their cities over there, note,  #10 on the left behind the fence is wearing a 3 Lions shirt.

Did the Russians dope? Maybe.  Per the Olympics, they sure did and were barred and had medals taken away in the Olympics.

Reading Hazard's predictions, I remember how Uruguay dominated Portugal and that Uruguay did not have Cavani the other day. I definitely disagree with anyone saying Uruguay played that gamesmanship, diving style the other day, the way some teams do.  Rough World Cup for the Latin American teams.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We made a load of changes for the Belgium game and arguably lost all the momentum generated by the Panama game.

Why are you still papping on about this when it’s been shown to be untrue? Southgate made a big call and it’s paid off, whether we get knocked out on Wednesday or not.

How depressing to see some of the idiot England fans smashing up an Ikea store, jumping up and down on cars and generally causing drunken havoc in towns up and down the country. Why can’t they just celebrate like normal people do instead of tarnishing the image English football fans? Probably the same types who invade pitches at the end of a season.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Giant said:

How depressing to see some of the idiot England fans smashing up an Ikea store, jumping up and down on cars and generally causing drunken havoc in towns up and down the country. Why can’t they just celebrate like normal people do instead of tarnishing the image English football fans? Probably the same types who invade pitches at the end of a season.

...and what damage did that do exactly? OK it was certainly ignorant but besides that what else? Did anybody seriously think it was gonna disrupt the whole promotion presentation/speeches, etc? I've seen some of those Rovers fans complaining guilty of far more ignorant things with long term/sour taste after effect. United fans don't normally run on the pitch (beneath them no doubt ?) but are still the worst and most ignorant fans in the country.

Yeah off topic but you're the one taking a baseless swipe. As for that type of drunken stupidity it's hardly solely football related either. More like the same idiots who were involved in those 2011 riots. Even that was an overreaction with some media treating it as civil war than something that would settle down after a few days. Most probably didn't even give a toss about what "instigated" it.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

Honestly think we will beat croatia but i hope southgate doesnt accomodate modric by using henderson to man mark him.  Henderson has shown a different side to his game this world cup..creativity..some of his passing had been pirlo-esque.  Let them worry about us. We have something they lack. Pace. They will be terrified of our quick, mobile attacking players. This is the sort of game sterling could thrive in. A lot of their players are in their 30s now and having 2 extra time games will have taken a lot out of them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Honestly think we will beat croatia but i hope southgate doesnt accomodate modric by using henderson to man mark him.  Henderson has shown a different side to his game this world cup..creativity..some of his passing had been pirlo-esque.  Let them worry about us. We have something they lack. Pace. They will be terrified of our quick, mobile attacking players. This is the sort of game sterling could thrive in. A lot of their players are in their 30s now and having 2 extra time games will have taken a lot out of them.

I agree with you.

I don't think that Southgate will change much at all. He'll spend the next few days working on refining set pieces, and getting their minds right.

Modric is class. He is someone to watch, but they don't have 11 of him..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Baz said:

Thought Sterling was much more of a threat yesterday. Looks a completely different player running at people or playing on the shoulder looking for a ball over the top.

He's no natural goalscorer, and often makes the wrong decision, but he's still a threat.

I'd be surprised if Southgate changes anything, thought the performance yesterday was pretty good given the nerves etc.

Croatia are pretty much big physical lads at the back, and not quick, must be able to make some chances vs that.

We saw the best and worst of Sterling against Sweden. He'd run at players, show great movement, but then mess about on the ball and not see a pass, or shoot with the aggression of Nicholas Parsons offering you a cup of tea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Absolutely spot on.

I hope he's full off regret the greedy swine, he still believes he did nothing wrong.....

What a ****.

I suppose he highlighted how crap the ownership rules are, and the FA don't like to have their cosy arrangements exposed. Still, it worked out for the best as we'd be long gone after watching potato head puff about the pitch wasting a place in the team along with Cahill, Jones, Baines etc. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Why are you still papping on about this when it’s been shown to be untrue? Southgate made a big call and it’s paid off, whether we get knocked out on Wednesday or not.

Do you want numerous changes for Wednesday then?

If not you're just being argumentative for the sake of it.