BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I do think they play good football though ... ahlnd are fit as butchers dogs despite being oldish and from a small country. I like their red polka better than widow weed black. I want them to beat France but doubt it.

Same sentiments there. Do hope we see history in the making. This is their first final

ok - very bang average. We got to the semi because of the route we got in, let's be honest. 

I wanted us to win and thought we would, we were not as good as Croatia an oldish team from a small country. 

The amount of hoofball we played was a disgrace.

Nonsense.

Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, even Netherlands, Italy etc. got nowhere because they were shite.  

I'm gutted. We didn't seize the chance. It was great to love the national side again though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wolfie said:

tho

Thought England looking stronger so far in extra time 

Sorry mate,  we were outmuscled lots of times in the second half and extra time. Our lads are used to Premier League  refereeing were it's getting to be almost a non contact sport. Every little touch is a free kick. In this comp referees have been letting lots go and to win the ball you've got to put a foot in.

• Backroom

That bump back to Earth hurt.

But that team has absolutely embarrassed our so-called Golden Generation.

Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, Cole, Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, Owen. All individually better than any of the current crop and crap for England.

Some of these lads upped their game for England. Very proud England fan.

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

And we have found a real gem of a keeper. Still so young and not afraid of giving lip to those in front of him with every shot

I was one who was critical of Pickford pre tournament but I was so wrong. Him and Maguire have had a great WC. Trippier too, up to but not after half time today when his game fell apart.

I have enjoyed our run.

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

Nonsense.

Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Portugal, even Netherlands, Italy etc. got nowhere because they were shite.  

I'm gutted. We didn't seize the chance. It was great to love the national side again though.

I am pleased we did not have to play any of the teams you mention.

• Like 1

I was one who was critical of Pickford pre tournament but I was so wrong. Him and Maguire have had a great WC. Trippier too, up to but not after half time today when his game fell apart.

I have enjoyed our run.

Yeah Trippier was poor after half time, I can only assume the injury that drove him off was already starting to affect him.

For those old enough to remember tonight's game put me in the mind of the England v West Germany quarter final in 1970.

• Backroom
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Playing those 4 gives you no balance in midfield. When you play against high quality opposition like Modric and Rakitic they will expose it.

Pretty much. The four of them play very high up, which does imbalance the midfield. That might be okay if we could counter attack effectively, but we always have such a gap between defence and attack that it's difficult to make that link and get up the pitch quickly. 

The other issue is that when we come forward normally the front four are quite rigid and static. Lingard/Alli/Sterling all stick to their defenders with their backs to goal, making through balls very difficult. When they do move it unsettles defences, but too often there's a lack of movement which renders our attacks sterile. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah Trippier was poor after half time, I can only assume the injury that drove him off was already starting to affect him.

For those old enough to remember tonight's game put me in the mind of the England v West Germany quarter final in 1970.

Good point re Trippier injury.

That was a damm good England side, still think about that game.......

Edited by AllRoverAsia

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

ok - very bang average. We got to the semi because of the route we got in, let's be honest. 

I wanted us to win and thought we would, we were not as good as Croatia an oldish team from a small country. 

The amount of hoofball we played was a disgrace.

We never really looked like scoring from open play in any game other than Panama. Our tactics seemed to be win a corner or free kick close to goal, push the centre backs up and lump the ball into the area. Dire to watch.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nothing worse than that debacle. We were 2-0 up. Still not got over it, 48 years on. 

Croatia were very good. Country of 8m people has produced  a very fine team and a clever manager who outwitted Southgate. 

England had an easy path to the final and they couldn't take it. 

52 years on from a final, 28 years since the last WC semi. We're supposed to be a big football country. It's pathetic really

• Like 1

• Backroom

The problem we've got is that we'll never beat a good team with our current tactics. Relying on set pieces will only get you so far, especially when we have a habit of conceding at least one goal a game. We only kept one clean sheet in this tournament and we weren't playing great teams. We need to work out how to be more creative in that final third. We have the players  but the system isn't quite right yet. 

Honestly I think France would have beaten us by two or three goals in the final. You never know but we would have gone in as major underdogs. This tournament was good in that it showed where our strengths and our weaknesses lie. It's up to Southgate to work out how to improve us before the next tournament. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Nothing worse than that debacle. We were 2-0 up. Still not got over it, 48 years on. 

Croatia were very good. Country of 8m people has produced  a very fine team and a clever manager who outwitted Southgate. 

England had an easy path to the final and they couldn't take it. 

52 years on from a final, 28 years since the last WC semi. We're supposed to be a big football country. It's pathetic really

Yes ok...we have had a fine world cup..a young squad..a lot of players who have enhanced their reputation..we just came up short today because we allowed a world class midfielder too much room. Had we had a player like scholes, gazza or hoddle in there we would have won the game. Had stones header not been cleared off the line, we would have won. Fine margins. Croatia were the better side after half time by which time we should have already been out of sight..inexperience cost us the game. A more experienced side would have taken control after the break.  It just wasnt meant to be and at least we are officially in the top 4 teams in the world

Edited by roverandout