BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

47 minutes ago, punerover said:

Does anyone else think Harry Kane is the next Wayne Rooney? Scored bag full of goals for the country but not during crucial games. They both had to drop back to collect the ball and were extremely poor in the final third.

A striker who scores loads of goals for his Country is deemed extremely poor in the final third.

I need to think about that one. Probably have to sit down, maybe lie down.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

A striker who scores loads of goals for his Country is deemed extremely poor in the final third.

I don't watch the Prem much any more so I haven't seen a lot of Harry Kane. I thought he started the competition well enough but the longer it went on the worse he got. From what I saw he's nowhere near a World class player. He's just not dynamic enough. I think his success in the Prem says a lot about the standard of football in the Prem.  Having said that he didn't get much service from the rest of the team. I also thought he was a strange choice as team captain. I suppose the thinking was he was the one certain starter in the team at the beginning of the tournament. That says a lot about the rest of the team.

18 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Goal scorers aren’t valued any more.

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't watch the Prem much any more so I haven't seen a lot of Harry Kane. I thought he started the competition well enough but the longer it went on the worse he got. From what I saw he's nowhere near a World class player. He's just not dynamic enough. I think his success in the Prem says a lot about the standard of football in the Prem.  Having said that he didn't get much service from the rest of the team. I also thought he was a strange choice as team captain. I suppose the thinking was he was the one certain starter in the team at the beginning of the tournament. That says a lot about the rest of the team.

Watched Spurs quite a bit. Kane always a danger with his quick control/ quick shot routine. Spurs play to get the ball to Kane and they have Erickson and Ali, in a Spurs shirt, to create plus the likes of Song.

In a proper passing football team like Spurs then Kane shines.

England lack the passing creativity of say Spurs and have been forced to try to find him with far too many high punts, not his strength.

In and also within 10 yards of the opposition penalty area is where you see his best work.

I expect he finds it frustrsting playing the main striker role for England but his going back in search of the ball is a waste of time and gets the lightweights like Ali off the hook.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Watched Spurs quite a bit. Kane always a danger with his quick control/ quick shot routine. Spurs play to get the ball to Kane and they have Erickson and Ali, in a Spurs shirt, to create plus the likes if Song.

In a proper passing football team like Spurs then Kane shines.

England lack the passing creativity of say Spurs and have been forced to try to find him with far too many high punts, not his strength.

In and also within 10 yards of the opposition penalty area is where you see his best work.

I can see the sense in what you're saying. As far as I saw he didn't really get a running chance. He was playing with his back to goal most of the time.

Just now, Stuart said:

Goal scorers aren’t valued any more.

On another MB I read Kane being lauded for his work ethic in going into midfield to search the ball, actually held up as an example for Rhodes to follow, lol, but ignoring the fact that due to this our main striker had just one shot on target in all the knockout phase games and that a penalty v Colombia.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can see the sense in what you're saying. As far as I saw he didn't really get a running chance. He was playing with his back to goal most of the time.

Which he rarely does at his club where he feeds of through balls, crosses and set pieces but has great movement across the line to join in with moves and the strikers gift of finding space and time. Litlle of that is apparent in an England shirt.

I don't think he's Captain material either and also think he and Sterling are on different playing wavelengths.

20 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

On another MB I read Kane being lauded for his work ethic in going into midfield to search the ball, actually held up as an example for Rhodes to follow, lol, but ignoring the fact that due to this our main striker had just one shot on target in all the knockout phase games and that a penalty v Colombia.

Yep. Exactly where I want my best goal threat to be. In the centre circle collecting the ball.

Armchair experts with their pithy ‘running the channels’ and ‘all round game’ are all well and good, but goals win football matches. I prefer midfielders to do the leg work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, punerover said:

Does anyone else think Harry Kane is the next Wayne Rooney? Scored bag full of goals for the country but not during crucial games. They both had to drop back to collect the ball and were extremely poor in the final third.

He's better than Welbeck, so . . . . .  .well, that kind of says it all about the state of English strikers. . . that there really isn't much to chose from.

Vardy is probably finished now (where England are concerned) so . . . .well . . . . the future doesn't look as bright as people are making out.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

All World Cup Finals 1930 - 2010

Nice way to fill in the time unto kick-off today

Cheers for that. Finding it hard to get enthused about a FRA-CRO final so it has helped to get us in the mood for no other reason than a reminder of the history of the competition.

The soundtrack however is wildly inappropriate thanks to lots of sweary rap music!

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Cheers for that. Finding it hard to get enthused about a FRA-CRO final so it has helped to get us in the mood for no other reason than a reminder of the history of the competition.

The soundtrack however is wildly inappropriate thanks to lots of sweary rap music!

I turned the sound off as soon as I heard rap!

Just finished watching on Youtube the 50 mins 2006 documentary on our '66 win. The first time I've seen it. First class player interviews too.

I had forgotten how Ramsey was so private yet intense and controversial and how he tinkered with systems and personnel as the tournament progressed to get to the Final team.

I do recall being disappointed that Jimmy Greaves was not playing in the Final and that the big lump Hurst was still in. The rest is history, lol.

I turned the sound off as soon as I heard rap!

Just finished watching on Youtube the 50 mins 2006 documentary on our '66 win. The first time I've seen it. First class player interviews too.

I had forgotten how Ramsey was so private yet intense and controversial and how he tinkered with systems and personnel as the tournament progressed to get to the Final team.

I do recall being disappointed that Jimmy Greaves was not playing in the Final and that the big lump Hurst was still in. The rest is history, lol.

If the Gods had smiled on them both Keith Newton and Fred Pickering could have been in that 1966 squad. Keith just missed out, he was in the group of 26 ( I think it was ) that trained for the finals but just missed the cut to the last 22 players. He got a bit of a chasing by the great Jimmy Johnstone ( not on his own there ) in the Scotland v England  a few weeks earlier and Sir Alf opted for the more experienced Gerry Byrne from Liverpool. A decent full back but not nearly in the same class as Keith Newton.

Fred in his prime was a better centre forward than Hurst in my opinion but he sustained a bad knee injury earlier in the season. Who knows it could have been Fred getting that hat trick !

If the World Cup had been held in 1964 and not 1966 Bryan Douglas would have walked into the team.

• Like 1

Hope todays conclusion to the World Cup (probably the best in my lifetime) is fitting to what has been a thoroughly enjoyable month.

Think it might be quite cagey, the 2 finalists are definitely the most efficient you would say, both full of experience, both know how to win games, fancy France just to being a bit fresher and a bit more of a cutting edge.

The tournaments had basically everything, its fair share of brilliant games (Spain 3-3 Portugal, Croatia 3-0 Argentina, France 4-3 Argentina, Belgium 3-2 Japan, Germany 0-1 Mexico, Belgium 2-1 Brazil, Uruguay 2-1 Portugal) and a healthy dosage of shocks (Argentina being humiliated, Germany out in the group stages, Russia dumping out Spain

There have been plenty of breakout stars, Pickford, Golovin, Lozano, Rebic, Trippier etc all impressing more than you could expect.

Everything seems to have run smoothly in Russia and the 2 potential things that could have spoilt it were England crashing out early, yes theres regret that we couldnt take advantage of a favourable draw but the nations involvement with the team has been great, and also VAR, which I still dont agree with but more often than not it worked well.

Sadly, this might be the last brilliant World Cup, with those in power intent on ruining it by moving the next one to winter, making it more of an inconvenience, and then changing it to 48 teams.

Our announcer said Griezman dived, I wish they had a 2nd look at it ... Free Kick, France scored, 10 minutes later, Croatia draws it up.

There is something to learn from Croatia, they are setting up attacks all the bloody time in this match. Something that England and others can take note of....

Just now, Audax said:

Our announcer said Griezman dived, I wish they had a 2nd look at it ... Free Kick, France scored, 10 minutes later, Croatia draws it up.

There is something to learn from Croatia, they are setting up attacks all the bloody time in this match. Something that England and others can take note of....

He did dive, was blatantly obvious too. Ref shouldn't have missed it.

• Like 1