BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Just now, Tom said:

Controversy - VAR penalty for handball, for me it’s a penalty but others will disagree I’m sure 

50/50 for me. Seen them given and not given .. I don't think it was on purpose but it's the face France get all these decisions no matter what lol really flukey side at times but can't take away from the fact they look phenomenal at other times 

Robbery. Just makes it worse that it’s France that have benefited.

Deliberate handball? Not in a million years.

’Clear and obvious error’? How can’t it be clear and obvious if it divides opinion?

Edited by Stuart

I was a VAR sceptic before the tournament but I was very much warming to it however that decision in a World Cup final has made me more against it than I have ever been. Not sure why this ref was given the final he has been one of the worst refs in a tournament that has had a very good standard of referring.  

And having seen the freeze frame, Pogba IS offside for the first France goal. He jumps for the ball and Mandzukic just manages to nick it of his head - into his own net.

Why didn't VAR look at that, but does overturn a not very "clear and.obvious" handball.

One was a matter of fact not.given. Then the opinion is given.

Edited by Hasta

• Backroom

The ref gave the penalty ultimately not VAR, I think it is one of those that goes either way, probably not obvious enough to overrule if he saw it first time mind. 

The difficulty with the tech is you can watch something multiple times and still disagree.

Just now, Tom said:

The ref gave the penalty ultimately not VAR, I think it is one of those that goes either way, probably not obvious enough to overrule if he saw it first time mind. 

The difficulty with the tech is you can watch something multiple times and still disagree.

But VAR must have thought it was a penalty as he told the ref to go and look at it. And the fact that you can watch something multiple times and still disagree and the fact the ref spent 3 minutes looking at it suggest that it was clearly not a 'clear and obvious error.'

Just now, Tom said:

But the ref got it right first time round before he was instructed  to look at it again. It's not even a debatable one for me.

it will make a complete mockery of the whole competition if its decided on that.

• Backroom

If it’s on the goal line and the same thing happens then a penalty is given 99% of the time. Ball has come all the way from the corner so it’s not like it’s been hit at him from a couple of feet.

Doesn’t stop it being harsh mind you.

Croatias goal was an absolute belter, hope there’s more in this.

Edit - or did Umtiti touch it?

Edited by Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Controversy - VAR penalty for handball, for me it’s a penalty but others will disagree I’m sure 

I know you have been very pro-VAR all tournament but surely that isnt an obvious error? At best, its debatable. The ref spent ages watching it so it was clear even he wasnt sure. 

Hands by his side, no intention at all to handball it. Has to be an obvious error, it certainly is not.

VAR is the talking point of the World Cup final so far, never should be the case. Could rob Croatia of winning the World Cup.

In terms of the actual football, which has been secondary, Croatia massively on top, Mbappe hasnt shown up yet, Perisic's goal was brilliantly worked and Croatia have controlled the midfield.

Just now, Tom said:

If it’s on the goal line and the same thing happens then a penalty is given 99% of the time. Ball has come all the way from the corner so it’s not like it’s been hit at him from a couple of feet.

It doesn't come all the way from the corner Matuidi flicks it on.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I know you have been very pro-VAR all tournament but surely that isnt an obvious error? At best, its debatable. The ref spent ages watching it so it was clear even he wasnt sure. 

Hands by his side, no intention at all to handball it. Has to be an obvious error, it certainly is not.

VAR is the talking point of the World Cup final so far, never should be the case. Could rob Croatia of winning the World Cup.

In terms of the actual football, which has been secondary, Croatia massively on top, Mbappe hasnt shown up yet, Perisic's goal was brilliantly worked and Croatia have controlled the midfield.

There’s been a few stinking VAR decisions, many good ones, this one I think it’s both probably a penalty but also potentially a debatable use of VAR and a departure from its initial intention due to the clear and obvious thing 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

It doesn't come all the way from the corner Matuidi flicks it on.

I don’t think he touches it but not seen it back since the multiple views at the time 

Just now, Tom said:

The French player in front of the Croatian went to head it, but ended up missing it and ducking underneath the ball then it hit the Croatian a split second later.

There's No way whatsoever he could have reacted or adjusted in time.

Just now, Tom said:

No way Tom. If you can’t take my word for it just listen to all the ex footballers on the TV panel.

It was to be deliberate.

Like Linekar just said they need to change the rule so that am contact with the hand is handball because the current rule just allows a decision to be made which favours one team or another.

The ref didn’t think it was a penalty. Then he had doubt put in his mind because of the VAR team. He has then decided he made a ‘clear and obvious error’.

Not a chance. VAR is a brilliant tool for match fixing.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

There’s been a few stinking VAR decisions, many good ones, this one I think it’s both probably a penalty but also potentially a debatable use of VAR and a departure from its initial intention due to the clear and obvious thing 

I don’t think he touches it but not seen it back since the multiple views at the time 

I understand your point in regards to its the application of VAR rather than VAR itself, but could you not argue that it is better in theory than it is in practice?

The time it takes and other minor points may be ironed out but even with VAR, these sort of issues will always exist in terms of how the human referee uses it, or how the human team in the room judge whether the referee should use it or not.

The fact that VAR is the main talking point in the first World Cup Final that it has been in use in suggests that surely its not usable.