BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

Just now, Tom said:

Best World Cup I can remember - but I couldn’t tell you who I would give player of the tournament to

MBappe will win it.

It has been a brilliant World Cup But the final has taken the gloss off. Yes, plenty of goals but this has been awarded to France by default.

Croatia had to push up and allow France to play on the break - against some serious pace.

Well done VAR and this utterly incompetent referee. They have orchestrated the result of a WC final. I won’t lose sleep over Croatia especially after Modric talking down to England but that match was a farce.

Just now, Audax said:

'94 was considered a good World Cup with a mediocre final, maybe some of the best football is during the early stages, stating the obvious really.....

I'd put this tied for 3rd as the best World Cup that I have seen, with my first being in 1962. 1970 is the best for me the standard was incredible there were probably 6 teams in that tournament that would have won this World Cup. 1974 would be my second favourite just for that Dutch team, they were a joy to watch just a shame they didn't win it. And I'd put 1986 on a par with this there wasn't an outstanding team but very exciting games and Argentina won it thanks to an outstanding player in Maradona & in this World Cup there hasn't been an outstanding team but some very exciting games with a very well organised French team winning it.

• Like 1

You'd better believe, at the least,  Germany and Spain will have something to say about the next Euro...and really, England and Portugal should and if Italy can ever get another Pirlo or Baggio, they can be in it too. And of course, Croatia.

Edited by Audax

• Backroom

Modric mouthing off after they'd won a match - why not grow a pair and say something the days before - their manager popping off for no reason, and Lovren self proclaiming himself the best defender in the World.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Cracking result, congrats to France. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

An enjoyable World Cup, similar to Italia 1990

Well done to Russia.

1970 still the best for the quality of the football, even though it was agony for England. 

I doubt that we will every see a World Cup of the standard of 1970 ever again. That was a special tournament so many great sides and in my opinion the best England team to play in a World Cup. 

• Like 3

One of those World Cups, '90 or '86 had a lot of draws because of the way the rules were, I think '86 but once the knockout rounds came, then, the quality picked up.  FIFA had to finetune it to get fewer draws I think. '90 had some. '86 had that kickaround I think that bored viewers.

Edited by Audax

So France have now won two World Cups, and been in the final 3 times. They have also won the Euros twice. England have won the WC once, and never made it to another final. 

For most of my life, France was always regarded as a bit of a joke as football nation, yet their record proves they are so much better than us

Germany and Italy have also won the WC and Euros multiple times.

We're supposed to be big football country but it just highlights how pathetic England are - and that includes in this tournament.

• Like 2

Just now, Silas said:

Modric mouthing off after they'd won a match - why not grow a pair and say something the days before - their manager popping off for no reason, and Lovren self proclaiming himself the best defender in the World.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Cracking result, congrats to France. 

So you're not upset with whatever Modric said? Lol.

If all he said was that England were guilty underestimating Croatia he was probably spot on.

When we beat Sweden the general mood within the Country was that we were as good as in the final and it was "coming home".

There was also a feeling we'd be a lot fresher than them after they'd played two lots of extra and in fact the exact opposite happened. We were the ones who looked knackered.

• Like 1

They have every right to it but France's success has to be seen as largely being with players from former colonies, France had great teams in the '80s and otherwise with Platini and many other fine players.

The Croats were truly Europeans, make whatever one wants to out of that.

France "could" have a conveyor belt of great players coming up but I don't think they will.  They will do well but they'll continue to have a lot of opposition.

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

So you're not upset with whatever Modric said? Lol.

If all he said was that England were guilty underestimating Croatia he was probably spot on.

When we beat Sweden the general mood within the Country was that we were as good as in the final and it was "coming home".

There was also a feeling we'd be a lot fresher than them after they'd played two lots of extra and in fact the exact opposite happened. We were the ones who looked knackered.

No I'm not upset with what Modric said, I just have no respect for WHEN he said it.

Do you struggle reading? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

I don't find this France side that good though.. they have had some very good fortune to Thier way .. yes in patches they have looked phenomenal but not unbeatable at all 

Its an international tournament, that they won their group in, and efficiently won every knockout game in 90 minutes. You need a bit of fortune, but their team is brilliantly balanced, defensively solid in the main, quality in midfield, and has 2 star players working around a target man. Im not sure what else you can ask for.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Former Rover on the pitch in the World Cup final......................a player some "fans" on here were glad to say goodbye to. 

Probably because he downed tools, which is unforgivable.

Im guessing from the "fans" aspect of your post that you are on a wind up, as you dont lose your right to become a fan by not rating someone.

• Like 1