BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

As the draw has been made for the World Cup in Russia next summer I'll start a separate thread for it.

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Not a bad draw for England. Belgium are a good side but a lot of their players play in England so they'll know all about them.

England have had a pretty decent run of drawing/playing crap sides now particularly in the qualifiers. 

But I’m not sure it’s necessarily the best thing for England as when we eventually come across a top side even Iceland, as we’ve been used to beating lemons we struggle to make the step up. With the friendlies vs Germany, Brazil, Italy and Holland at least it seems we are preparing more suitably than Ecuador and Honduras before 2014 if memory serves. 

I think England does well; Southgate tampers down expectations.

Finally, an England team that really has nothing to do with the past, with Sven, Fabio, etc. etc.

I say Argentina and Croatia to advance out of group D, not Iceland or Nigeria. Pretty tough group really.

Final 8 at least for England, Quarterfinals, I think the much maligned Southgate has the perfect attitude.

It also really looks like Germany will win again, 2nd pick is Spain.  Belgium is good if they can get over their inexperience on the big stage.

Edited by Audax

I would of loved a group with Argentina, Iceland and Australia. Always nice to beat the Aussies, revenge against iceland and guaranteed to be fired up and a good test against a beatable Argentina, another team I love beating for all the obvious reasons . Still happy with the draw and we should progress. 

• Like 1

We'll lose to Belgium, and narrowly beat Tunisia, and scrape through vs Panama in the tax-evasion derby.

Then lose to an average side in the first knock ot game on penalties.

I see even Southgate is playing down our chances, should have stuck with Sam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klc_2012 said:

Shouldn't Croatia and Iceland have been kept apart?? Bizarre situation that they could lose out in the group stage to a team that they outqualified...

England - if Hart is first choice then something is very wrong.

I hadn't thought about that. The only stipulation was only 2 European teams in each group. They must not think that it's needed.

I think Moyes has done England a favour. He dropped Hart yesterday. Adrian kept a clean sheet. Hopefully Hart doesn't get back in and Southgate leaves him at home.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

This is the first World Cup in my life that I couldn't give a toss about. 

Shit place, we've got a shit team with a shit manager.  Dull dull dull

You just wouldn't bother going would You?

No. I will not stay awake for any late, Asia time, kickoffs, either.

If England, miraculously, do well I will go all plastic.

Wouldn't fancy any of Russia atm. We flew up over China and Mongolia then across North Russia en route to Frankfurt on Wednesday. Bleakest places you could imagine. And vast beyond imagination.  The distances you could end up travelling if you have to change location, even though all the stadia are, for Russia, relatively close together, are mind blowing. 

• Like 1