BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just hid a few posts from yesterday completely unrelated to football. If you've anything to say re perceived BBC bias or leadership of participating countries, then do it in ICBINF please.

Thanks in advance.

Surely VAR talk should be in the designated VAR forum only.

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

That is the process now. The VAR constantly review incidents involving every goal, sending off, penalties and mistaken identity. If the VAR feels there has been a clear and obvious error in any of these then the on field referee is advised to look at the pitch side screen. As I have said before once an incident is sent for review only an extremely brave referee will go against the advice of the VAR.

How did Ronaldo get away with a yellow and not a red for his forearm smash on the Iranian defender after several reviews. Then the penalty incident, deliberate handball my derrier.

16 hours ago, arbitro said:

What FIFA are trying to do Tom is turn the decision making process in football into an exact science but that can never, ever happen. The vast majority of VAR referrals and ultimately decisions are still based on opinion not fact. I disagree with the Portugal penalty but you think it was one. Who is correct? The game has been around for well over 100 years and has managed by giving autonomy to the referee and his assistants to make decisions. It is farcical in my opinion. (but my opinion isn't fact) ?.

The referee leaving the field of play to watch a TV screen seems so antiquated and old hat technology, when he can have a drop down lense positioned at focal length to see the same footage without having to leave the field of play.

Just now, JAL said:

How did Ronaldo get away with a yellow and not a red for his forearm smash on the Iranian defender after several reviews. Then the penalty incident, deliberate handball my derrier.

Isn't that the beauty of football John? I didn't think Ronaldo was guilty of violent conduct, I saw it as more of a flailing arm as he tried to get past the Iranian who was doing his best to block him. The handball isn't really open to debate and you have to seriously question the referee and VAR as to why they thought that was a deliberate act.

Just now, JAL said:

The referee leaving the field of play to watch a TV screen seems so antiquated and old hat technology, when he can have a drop down lense positioned at focal length to see the same footage without having to leave the field of play.

It's the whole VAR process which I believe is flawed. I don't think it makes any difference where he reviews any incidents.

Peru scores against the Socceroos.  1-0 Very early.

Or is it Peroo and the Soccerus.... anyway, the odds are long for Aus to advance but they have to try their best, hope for the best.

Edited by Audax

I thought Peru were desperately unlucky against Denmark and very good against the French. They just seemed to lack a top class striker up front.

By way of contrast Denmark have been as dull as dishwasher. I think it's a real shame they look set to advance and not the spirited Peruvians.

France are hardly any better.

In 2006, France had what? 2 draws and had to finally start defeating Togo in about the 65th minute of that 3rd game and then, they ended up going to the final, not always in a style I'd agree with btw.... I think France will do just fine.

33 minutes ago, Audax said:

BTW, for those not watching this match, Tim Cahill at 38 years old, came on for Australia. They are playing a little better now, 19 minutes in normal time.

At least the sponsors of the Aussie team will be happy now Golden boy got game time, I presume the striker who has been bang on form towards the end of season (granted it was in the Scottish Prem ) was injured hence no minutes in a team that was struggling to score

Edited by perthblue02

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Isn't that the beauty of football John? I didn't think Ronaldo was guilty of violent conduct, I saw it as more of a flailing arm as he tried to get past the Iranian who was doing his best to block him. The handball isn't really open to debate and you have to seriously question the referee and VAR as to why they thought that was a deliberate act.

For me VAR nothing to do with the Ronaldo incident. If the ref watches the incident and thinks it's deliberate, then it's red, if he doesn't then it's no card. IMO he wasn't sure, so went for a half-way house of yellow which it clearly wasnt. Again the handball incident isn't VARs fault, the ref should have looked once, then made the correct decision. Personally I have no issue reviewing that type of decision, especially in the last few mins of a game.

Still have no idea how Spain topped that group, they where poor in every game.

1 minute ago, Baz said:

For me VAR nothing to do with the Ronaldo incident. If the ref watches the incident and thinks it's deliberate, then it's red, if he doesn't then it's no card. IMO he wasn't sure, so went for a half-way house of yellow which it clearly wasnt. Again the handball incident isn't VARs fault, the ref should have looked once, then made the correct decision. Personally I have no issue reviewing that type of decision, especially in the last few mins of a game.

Still have no idea how Spain topped that group, they where poor in every game.

I though they were excellent against Portugal, and it was only an incredible Ronaldo performance that stopped them. 

• Like 2

Think Argentinia could rip Nigeria a new one after being shouted at by the infamous drugs cheat.

Crying is for when you're knocked out, not after a group defeat. Still can't believe what an overreaction there was after they lost to Croatia.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Husky said:

Think Argentinia could rip Nigeria a new one after being shouted at by the infamous drugs cheat.

Crying is for when you're knocked out, not after a group defeat. Still can't believe what an overreaction there was after they lost to Croatia.

I liked that one of their players went round dragging his teammates up and bollocking them for it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

France have been shit all tournament..nothing to fear from them

In true Chaddy style - I called it that they would have a bit of a shocker, just cannot be assed to find the post.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

What is with all the hatred of Argentina? Is it really down to Maradona's hand of God? If it is its pretty pathetic. Ireland were eliminated from a World Cup by a handball by Henry for France, I was upset with the player for a while, but to hate an entire nation for 30 years. I honestly don't know what to say. I also at no stage felt that it diminished his quality as a player.

Also, Maradona was caught using cocaine, a recreation drug so "drug cheat" is a load of @#/? and smacks of sore loser syndrome. The number of comments on here about Argentina and Germany over the last two weeks have done this site no credit, we should be bigger then this. A laugh at one of your big rivals losing is fine but there have been some really nasty stuff. Being Irish I like to see my team beat England (whats seldom is wonderful), but I would not sit and listen quietly to one of my friends talking about "disgusting English" I would tell them to grow up.