BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2018

• Backroom

Ronaldo booked after a VAR review, borderline one but I think the ref got it right, the fact a lot think it’s a red shows how much it’s still down to opinion no matter how many angles you see.

VAR helps but it can’t make it all perfect

• Backroom
Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If this game had a decent ref Iran would be level at the very least. The officiating so far in this tournament has been excellent but this ref has been awful.

What’s he got wrong? I’ve not seen anything obvious 

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

What’s he got wrong? I’ve not seen anything obvious 

Gave Portugal a pen then never was and then failed to give Iran one for a similar incident. Should have sent Ronaldo of and has given every 50/50 or soft decision to Portugal. At last he gives Iran a decision although he couldn't really not.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Ok now that’s one that didn’t need reviewing he’s become a little too reliant this ref.

Tricky game to ref as both teams have acted awfully around him

Hes just given a penalty now to Iran that never was a penalty after reviewing VAR, user error that 

Just now, Tom said:

Ok now that’s one that didn’t need reviewing he’s become a little too reliant this ref.

Tricky game to ref as both teams have acted awfully around him

Hes just given a penalty now to Iran that never was a penalty after reviewing VAR, user error that 

But the VAR considered all the incidents to be clear and obvious errors. That is four people studying incidents from lots of angles and then supported by the on field referee. It's farcical and I think will become even more ridiculous when we get to the knock out stage.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

But the VAR considered all the incidents to be clear and obvious errors. That is four people studying incidents from lots of angles and then supported by the on field referee. It's farcical and I think will become even more ridiculous when we get to the knock out stage.

Arbitro:

Can the VAR room rule one way and the referee reject it? It almost seems that happened in the Egyptian/Saudi match. Thanks.

Just how can the modern day footballer be refereed. Watching the Portugal v Iran game and the lot of them are like petulant school boys. I love football but, as one who has had a keen interest in Rugby League for twent five years, cannot believe how every single decision is argued by the players and nothing is done about it. Any one who surrounds the ref, mouthing off, should be booked. End of.

Turning to VAR, what a farce. No way was that a penalty. Again, it should be like Rugby League. Let the ref referee the game. Give him the responsibility but, if he is not sure about some major decision, let him ask the VAR team for a second look. The football way is going into it way too deeply and taking the responsibility away from him. He may as well not be on the pitch.

I won’t go into the blatant cheating, rolling about, feigning injury and so on. Effing *ankers.

• Like 3

Iran could/should have won that in the last 2 minutes. That miss will haunt their player for the rest of his life - assuming the Supreme Leader doesn't throw him in jail

Edited by jim mk2

Just now, Audax said:

Arbitro:

Can the VAR room rule one way and the referee reject it? It almost seems that happened in the Egyptian/Saudi match. Thanks.

Yes the referee can disagree with the VAR but it will be a brave referee who does that. I said last week that once an incident is referred by VAR as a clear and obvious error the on field referee will be under huge pressure to go against their advice.

• Like 2

VAR certainly isn’t making the game as sterile as it was feared by some. :lol: 

However, a bad referee will still be a bad referee even with a better tool at his disposal. And tonight’s candidate was a duck egg.

What doesn’t help though is that the referee is not being given a view of the most conclusive angle to base his decision on.

• Like 1

• Backroom

So I’ve said from the start that I think VAR has been good this tournament - that brings us to today, firstly Ronaldo penalty, good decision, red card - good decision, Iran penalty - shambolic.

The problem that I see emerging is refs are using it as a safety net and constantly checking, the clear and obvious error line is being lost already.

The tech could work but refs need to be stronger and better - but if they were then we would have never needed it.

Used when appropriate this could work, as it is it’s far to prevelant and nearly every incident that half was referred.

At the same time it just allowed a perfectly good goal for Spain that would have been ruled out otherwise.

• Like 1