BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Peterborough United v Rovers

Went today as I live close to Peterborough. It was an error strewn game. In the first half we were out muscled in midfield and looked vulnerable on the break. Awful defending for their goal. Nyambe and Conway were poor throughout. Tomlinson made a big difference and with Smallwood they controlled things. Dack was the best player by miles. Samuel struggled and Graham was no better. Home support was non existent but the Rovers fans were vocal creating some atmosphere. We need a couple of signings in Jan. A right back and a winger might be enough to turn us into a good promotion bet but we are not yet good enough on this performance in my opinion.

Just now, BillC said:

Went today as I live close to Peterborough. It was an error strewn game. In the first half we were out muscled in midfield and looked vulnerable on the break. Awful defending for their goal. Nyambe and Conway were poor throughout. Tomlinson made a big difference and with Smallwood they controlled things. Dack was the best player by miles. Samuel struggled and Graham was no better. Home support was non existent but the Rovers fans were vocal creating some atmosphere. We need a couple of signings in Jan. A right back and a winger might be enough to turn us into a good promotion bet but we are not yet good enough on this performance in my opinion.

I think we could be good enough. When we put it together we look a good side. We just don't do it for more than 30 minute spells at the moment.

Watched the highlights. I thought every goal was a good goal and well taken. Our 2nd and 3rd goals were sublime, Germanesque if you will; lovely team football.

Posh's goals were also good. Cannot blame any Rovers defender for either goal, not even the much maligned Nyambe.

With regards to Nyambe, we also have Caddis as a steady full back who can play on either flank. Then there are the young lads, Travis and Doyle. We have good cover throughout. We're fine. Good to see Tomlinson get half a game. Then there are Wharton and Platt as cover for centre back. We are fine.

Nearing the top two. Onwards and upwards (in spite of today's Edwards:P ). Never felt as good as this for years.:brfc::wub:

• Like 1

Great result.Mowbray has stopped tinkering too much and in spells we have started to play some good football unlike at the start of the season.Fair play to the manager .

Happy to see Tomlinson get game time,I will be beyond disappointed if Harper comes straight back into the 16 and Tomlinson is demoted.Harper hasn't pulled up any trees in his performances and although I wish the lad well our own promising youngster like Tomlinson should have priority over helping develop some other clubs player 

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

Great result.Mowbray has stopped tinkering too much and in spells we have started to play some good football unlike at the start of the season.Fair play to the manager .

Happy to see Tomlinson get game time,I will be beyond disappointed if Harper comes straight back into the 16 and Tomlinson is demoted.Harper hasn't pulled up any trees in his performances and although I wish the lad well our own promising youngster like Tomlinson should have priority over helping develop some other clubs player 

I've not seen a lot of Tomlinson but what I have seen I like. His attitude is good. He strikes me as the sort of player that rolls his sleeves up and just gets on with the game. Get's it and gives it, pass and move. He'll bring a youthful athleticism and attitude to the team. Earlier this season I was expecting him to stand in for either Smallwood when he gets suspended or Evans when he's injured but it never happened. Now he's got his chance. I can't see either Whittingham or Evans being back for Tuesday. He's already had more impact than Harper as far as I can see.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I woulsn't sell Dack or Mulgrew for any money this season so integral are they to our prospects. Anyone else I would suggest has their price and could be replaced reasonably easily by someone of similar quality and importance.

You'd struggle with those two though.

Add Smallwood and I'd agree

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, he seems to be the heartbeat of the team. When he plays well the team plays well.

It really makes you wonder how Lowe had managed to be a central figure in this team for so many years. This guy is everything that Lowe is not. I admit I was hardly inspired by the signing but wow has he said shoved that down my throat. 

I'd say signing of the season with Dack close behind just because he was free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Butty said:

Blackburn Rovers Football Club should not be in league one, that much is clear. Our away followings this season are probably bigger than most of the leagues away followings combined, but maybe this is what we needed after 7 years of utter shite, I know it's league one but Jesus I'm not half enjoying going to away games and watching us win games of football, there's a real good feeling at the minute, maybe a promotion season is just what the doctor ordered because I feel a lot better right now than I did at this point last season under Coyle and we were a league above! Of course we wouldn't be in this league if we didn't have the owners we do and that should not be forgotten but we do have these owners, and although I'll always despise them this is the first time I've actually been able to enjoy watching rovers since they took over which helps to temporality at least, forget the damage they've caused our club. Enjoy this season lads and WHEN we get promoted, hopefully Mowbray gets backed and we can have a go next season in the championship. I love this club and our fans and league one or not, we should be able to enjoy winning games and going too games. We'll all still be here long after Venkys fook off. Not sure what point I was making here I've been on the beers but whatever, COYB Big fish in a small pond this season. :brfc:

Class post chip...enjoy those beers!

That must have been some halftime team talk! We started each half really well and ended them not too good. Once again we have conceded two sloppy goals and this gives Mowbray something to think about. Overriding this though was the result and if any Premier League team have scored a goal as good as our third the pundits will be orgasmic. The performance of Dack was enlightening and for the first time in years I can get genuinely excited when a Rovers player is in possession. Mulgrew was Mulgrew and Downing does the basics well. They have forged a decent partnership which will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season. There are still plenty of areas to improve on but winning is the most important thing and we are doing.

Long may it continue.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

That must have been some halftime team talk! We started each half really well and ended them not too good. Once again we have conceded two sloppy goals and this gives Mowbray something to think about. Overriding this though was the result and if any Premier League team have scored a goal as good as our third the pundits will be orgasmic. The performance of Dack was enlightening and for the first time in years I can get genuinely excited when a Rovers player is in possession. Mulgrew was Mulgrew and Downing does the basics well. They have forged a decent partnership which will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season. There are still plenty of areas to improve on but winning is the most important thing and we are doing.

Long may it continue.

Was it Dack who made the burst down the left touch line that drew the yellow and red card for their guy to get an early bath ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Was it Dack who made the burst down the left touch line that drew the yellow and red card for their guy to get an early bath ?

Yes it was Tyrone. He was really good today with skill, cleverness and movement. And probably more important he looked like he was enjoying himself. He was head and shoulders above anybody else on the pitch.

• J*B unpinned this topic
Just now, arbitro said:

Yes it was Tyrone. He was really good today with skill, cleverness and movement. And probably more important he looked like he was enjoying himself. He was head and shoulders above anybody else on the pitch.

It's good to read about Rovers players enjoying their football. I think we have a good captain in Mulgrew. Sounds like we have a good camaraderie in the dressing room.  I think TM listens to his players and mulls over what he hears; then makes his decisions.

Happy players make for a successful team.

Just now, arbitro said:

Yeah, nice change of pace there. Drew the guy in and then he was away on the outside. I described him as a " poor man's Rodney Marsh "  a while back. Maybe Marsh was before your time but he was a real class act on the ball. He's got the same quick feet for a burly guy as Marsh had , uses his physique well and he has the willingness and confidence to try the unexpected. If he carries on like this he'll be the steal of the season.

It's significant it appears he's up to full  fitness now to be able to make that burst down the wing right at the death. 

I'd give a pat on the back to whoever managed to keep the ball under real pressure and then get the pass out to Samuel that led to Dacks second goal as well.  It would have been easy just to put the ball out but he didn't't.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, nice change of pace there. Drew the guy in and then he was away on the outside. I described him as a " poor man's Rodney Marsh "  a while back. Maybe Marsh was before your time but he was a real class act on the ball. He's got the same quick feet for a burly guy as Marsh had , uses his physique well and he has the willingness and confidence to try the unexpected. If he carries on like this he'll be the steal of the season.

It's significant it appears he's up to full  fitness now to be able to make that burst down the wing right at the death. 

I'd give a pat on the back to whoever managed to keep the ball under real pressure and then get the pass out to Samuel that led to Dacks second goal as well.  It would have been easy just to put the ball out but he didn't't.

I do remember Marsh as an entertainer who excited fans with his craft and ability. Dack is probably a lower league version who can win games with flashes of brilliance. Interesting that you bring his fitness up as we spoke about the same thing during the game. He injured a hamstring on day one at Southend and didn't really do much for some time but his confidence (and fitness) are certainly evident. 

Five straight league wins in any league is an excellent achievement. I wasn't able to follow the match but sounds as though Dack  and Smallwood, in particular, had good games. 

Automatic promotion is well within our grasp. Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe both unexpectedly dropped points. The wheels have come off for Shrews.

As for January, a tricky winger is needed along with a striker. Danny Graham has been poor this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he left for somewhere like Scotland. Not to mention Chapman and Lenihan are to return in the new year as well, very strong squad. 

Also good to see some youngsters coming through. Promising times?

• Backroom

I think the 2 cms vs Crewe have to be Richie and Willem. After he clearly made a difference today, Tomlinson needs the chance to prove he can go 90mins in the engine room imo.

With both players having good engines, good strength and tackling and able to play the simple balls wide or through Dack, they could be a great midfield.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Couldn't tell from the highlights, but who was our guy battling like f*** in the corner to win the ball back? I need to buy him a beer! 

Btw, on sir Bradley of dack, looks like swapping essex girls & flat beer for Lancashire lasses & fizzy ale has dine the trick!!?

I think it was Conway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Conway has never been any good. Entirely predictable in every aspect of his play. 

Dont be silly man

Conway has been creating chances for fun.

He is probably the player with the most created chances for the last five years in the championship. I am not saying that he is world class or something but the guy deservers better than what you are givin him

anyway great win and just a point away from the  2nd place 

• Like 8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.