BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Peterborough United v Rovers

Really coming into an excellent run, didnt go yesterday but the goals we are scoring are brilliant to see, need to keep it up.

Think as fans we wondered why we weren't taking it to teams earlier in the season, what with our attacking players and also the evident lack of ability that League 1 teams, in particular defenders have under even the slightest bit of pressure. So the pressing, shown with the second goal yesterday and v Blackpool, is refreshing to finally see.

The goals we are conceding are worrying but I don't think its a case of we are conceding more due to opening up when attacking teams. We are conceding a few from set pieces that are entirely unavoidable and I hope Mowbray is working on defending set pieces during this week.

Dack and Mulgrew are obvious classes above in this league, I did expect Dack to be a regular source of goals playing as a second striker, his general ability though and work rate are both belonging of being in the Championship, and Mulgrew leads by example and his goal record is ridiculous this season.

Antonsson is a weird one, he was such an ineffective striker, and I think we stumbled across him wide going for an equaliser at Shrewsbury and him looking at ease, but even now he often has totally ineffective games, and isn't the biggest danger at times, but he keeps scoring goals, his assist was very good yesterday and in the absence of a regularly scoring striker, his goals from out wide are crucial and his recent form has been excellent, and I have gone from dreading seeing his name on the team sheet, to taking a shine to him. Hope he keeps it up, and continues to play wide left.

Think the striker position is still yet to be nailed down by anyone, for me I've always said Graham is our best bet to go on a run, not sure Samuel has got that level of consistency in him but they need to push each other and one of them needs to go on a run of goals as we can not be reliant on a centre back or a winger all season necessarily.

Nyambe continues to be an obvious weakness, for me nows the time to bring Caddis back in before he costs us, and Raya is also a potential weakness from crosses.

Downing has perhaps dipped a bit recently, I do think without Mulgrew he would be a lot more fragile but hes massively exceeded expectations, so hard to be too harsh, that said I feel Lenihan (and Caddis) will potentially make us alot more secure at the back.

But main thing is to keep on winning, Shrewsbury look like they are there for the taking so then hopefully we push on and battle with Wigan.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe continues to be an obvious weakness, for me nows the time to bring Caddis back in before he costs us, and Raya is also a potential weakness from crosses.

Take your point on Nyambe but Caddis isn't the answer either. We need a completely new right back. Maybe Lewis Travis can step up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briansol said:

You also have to get credit to Samuel for turn and excellent pass to release Antonsson. That is NOT an easy pass to get right. Inch perfect angle and weight.

Yeah, pass of the day from what I've seen. Exactly the right amount of curl, weight and direction. Did you see Samuel leave the centre half clutching his thigh after he'd tried to catch him ? Antonnson played his part there with an instant switch of play back inside. Lots of players would have taken another touch at that point and the chance may have gone.

He's a strange player Antonnson. He's not overly quick although along with a few others ( Dack for one ) he's speeded up as the season as gone on and he's got fully fit. He's not really a dribbler and he's certainly not a physical player. He's a good decision maker and he's very decisive in front of goal. Most of his goals are first time shots. At this level that'll get you goals. I'm still not convinced with him to be honest but he usually chimes in with either a goal or a set up pass so as things are at the moment he has the shirt.

The thing I like about Smallwood is he's not frightened of joining up with the striker as he did yesterday. Jason Lowe would have got a nosebleed that high up the pitch !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Was 79-80 the year we also went on the cup run against the likes of Cov and Villa? Think we had close to 30k on for the latter.

How did Tomlinson play?

Yes we beat Coventry at Ewood in the third round, 1-0 and then drew Villa at Ewood. That game finished 1-1 and we lost the replay at Villa Park 3-1.

3 hours ago, Al said:

Take your point on Nyambe but Caddis isn't the answer either. We need a completely new right back. Maybe Lewis Travis can step up.

Travis could be the answer tbh

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Caddis is a safe choice, hes intelligent, he has a decent final ball and he is positionally sound more often than not, that said he isnt the most physical of players.

Caddis is decent but makes mistakes. No better than Nyambe

Mark Hughes , tugay . Wouldn't swap them for pace. I know your going to say different positions and right back requires pace which is true to a point. However a football brain that can read a game and isn't error prone and makes the right choices over a rapid but positionally unaware liability. If he's so fast he can grab the ball from the back of the net and Sprint with it back to the centre spot.  Caddis offers nothing going forward nyambe offers nothing full stop. Easy decision

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Mark Hughes , tugay . Wouldn't swap them for pace. I know your going to say different positions and right back requires pace which is true to a point. However a football brain that can read a game and isn't error prone and makes the right choices over a rapid but positionally unaware liability. If he's so fast he can grab the ball from the back of the net and Sprint with it back to the centre spot.  Caddis offers nothing going forward nyambe offers nothing full stop. Easy decision

You read my mind. There are no good slow full backs I'm afraid. You need pace first and foremost, it can get you of jail.

I agree if you rolled Nyambe and Caddis into one you wouldn't have a good right back but we've got to play one of them. I'd certainly play Caddis at Crewe on Tuesday, I agree Nyambe  hasn't taken the chance he has been given.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lraC said:

Yes we beat Coventry at Ewood in the third round, 1-0 and then drew Villa at Ewood. That game finished 1-1 and we lost the replay at Villa Park 3-1.

Sorry for being pedantic but we lost the replay 1-0. The Coventry game was memorable for 3 things for me, the away end being almost empty before the final whistle, their horrendous brown kit and Jimmy Hill's face on that night's MOTD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Sorry for being pedantic but we lost the replay 1-0. The Coventry game was memorable for 3 things for me, the away end being almost empty before the final whistle, their horrendous brown kit and Jimmy Hill's face on that night's MOTD.

I would add Duncan McKenzie’s virtuoso performance to that list

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.