BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Peterborough United v Rovers

10 hours ago, LDRover said:

Sorry for being pedantic but we lost the replay 1-0. The Coventry game was memorable for 3 things for me, the away end being almost empty before the final whistle, their horrendous brown kit and Jimmy Hill's face on that night's MOTD.

I nearly mentioned that brown kit in my post, it was horrendous. No need to apologise, you are quite right about the Villa replay. My memory is fading with age. :) 

7 hours ago, USABlue said:

Away game I thought we won, remember Mullen had been playing well too if I recall

I have checked this out now and the season we lost to them twice was the centenary promotion season. 09/11/1974 was 1-0 at their place and the return at Ewood was 01/02/1975 which was the game when Jimmy Mullen broke his leg and we lost that 1-0 too. They were the only team to do the double over us, as we went on to life the third division. I turned ten that season, but still remember it reasonably well.

I usually pay not attention to ratings and find in general they are too generous, but i think these are harsh to be honest. Like everyone is about 1 point less than they should have been and some cases players score the same ,when one definitely played better 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15712863.Peterborough_United_2_Blackburn_Rovers_3__PLAYER_RATINGS/?ref=mac#comments-anchor 

40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I usually pay not attention to ratings and find in general they are too generous, but i think these are harsh to be honest. Like everyone is about 1 point less than they should have been and some cases players score the same ,when one definitely played better 

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15712863.Peterborough_United_2_Blackburn_Rovers_3__PLAYER_RATINGS/?ref=mac#comments-anchor 

Those ratings are ridiculous. Smallwood 7?? The bloke was sensational. Won every tackle and never a misplaced pass. Downing was solid second half and Nyambe even though I dont rate the guy was certainly better than a 5!

• Like 1

Rich Sharpe was watching the game (and presumably planning out his match report) whilst live blogging on the LT website AND co-commentating on Radio Lancs.

No wonder his ratings are all over the place.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Rich Sharpe was watching the game (and presumably planning out his match report) whilst live blogging on the LT website AND co-commenting on Radio Lancs.

No wonder his rating are all over the place.

I thought they could only improve on Andy Cryer, which they did, marginally. 

On 12/10/2017 at 04:38, briansol said:

You also have to get credit to Samuel for turn and excellent pass to release Antonsson. That is NOT an easy pass to get right. Inch perfect angle and weight.

I loved the pass too, without it nothing happens, had to get it exactly right and did.  Something I moan about all the time, even in the Prem, players don't seem to pass into the players stride anymore.  Constantly the player receiving has to check back or stop to collect.  Superb pass that was, the whole goal was lovely to watch.  Can't count how many times I've watched it over.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, lraC said:

I have checked this out now and the season we lost to them twice was the centenary promotion season. 09/11/1974 was 1-0 at their place and the return at Ewood was 01/02/1975 which was the game when Jimmy Mullen broke his leg and we lost that 1-0 too. They were the only team to do the double over us, as we went on to life the third division. I turned ten that season, but still remember it reasonably well.

Well there goes my memories, buggar what else have I mixed up?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

I loved the pass too, without it nothing happens, had to get it exactly right and did.  Something I moan about all the time, even in the Prem, players don't seem to pass into the players stride anymore.  Constantly the player receiving has to check back or stop to collect.  Superb pass that was, the whole goal was lovely to watch.  Can't count how many times I've watched it over.

Goal of the season for me so far - Conway battling like his life depended on it to win the ball by the corner flag then clearing the ball to Samuel. Samuel rolls his man and is immediately away running hard for the heart of their defence. He makes 65 yards quickly and then slides the pass  of the game into Antonnson's stride . He runs on to the ball and then quickly switches the ball back inside to Dack who very calmly pulls the trigger ! What a goal. 

Great play from Samuel to come so deep to give Conway a shirt to aim at and then to turn defence into attack.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Goal of the season for me so far - Conway battling like his life depended on it to win the ball by the corner flag then clearing the ball to Samuel. Samuel rolls his man and is immediately away running hard for the heart of their defence. He makes 65 yards quickly and then slides the pass  of the game into Antonnson's stride . He runs on to the ball and then quickly switches the ball back inside to Dack who very calmly pulls the trigger ! What a goal. 

Runner up so far after that goal gladwin scored at brockhall where he beat four men and rabona'd it into the top corner from 25 yards with his week foot

12 hours ago, renrag said:

That "tackle" on Jimmy Mullen was, without doubt, the worst assault I have ever seen on a football field. The referee was a bloke called Baker from Rugby and he didn't even book the defender. It was a disgrace and today would probably attract an extended ban.

Lucas Neale on Carragher didn't come near it

What about killers challenge on Fucillo? ?

23 hours ago, renrag said:

That "tackle" on Jimmy Mullen was, without doubt, the worst assault I have ever seen on a football field. The referee was a bloke called Baker from Rugby and he didn't even book the defender. It was a disgrace and today would probably attract an extended ban.

Lucas Neale on Carragher didn't come near it

Yeah I agree with that. I used to go on the Riverside in those days and remember all hell letting loose after that tackle. The fact that it finished his career says it all and to say he didn't even get booked, makes you wonder what the ref was up to. I know it ended Mullen's career, but what happened to him after that?

12 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

What about killers challenge on Fucillo? ?

How Lil Fucillo wasn't killed by that I will never know. Somersault at least 5 ft off the ground and landing head first onto a frozen surface.

Killer also ended Bobby Davidson's career effectively when he "block tackled" ie body slam with every bit of him hitting the Leeds man. Has to be said Davidson was unstoppable that game until Killer won that tackle- fairly according to the ref. Rovers won 2-1 in the end if I remember correctly.

And that infamous Pompey game: 

34 minutes ago, lraC said:

A proper game of football that one, although I was involved in rougher games in the school playground!

It always looks worse from the side lines. Keeley knew how to " quieten " opponents, no problem.

We'd all shake hands after games like that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.