BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

• 2 weeks later...

Two sad deaths in the music industry over the past week with Steve Harley and Karl Wallinger both passing away. Both of them are much greater than just the couple of songs they are known for. The early Cockney Rebel stuff is amazing and certainly influenced the likes of Peter Doherty, Madness and Blur, among others.

Karl Wallinger had a huge hand in the early Waterboys music and then went on to form World Party. They had a massive hit with Is It Like Today, but his best known song is She’s The One, originally recorded by World Party but covered by Robbie Williams. He moaned about it at the time but I imagine he made a few bob out of it. 

RIP to both of them.

Edit: And a mention in dispatches to Eric Carmen, lead singer of The Raspberries who also died recently. He wrote All By Myself, which is well known from the Bridget Jones movie.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

Didn't know Steve Harley had died!

Second only to Bowie in my teenage music icons.

Gave/sold all my vinyl many years ago but kept about a dozen albums, his live double album being one.

R.I.P. Steve.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Didn't know Steve Harley had died!

Second only to Bowie in my teenage music icons.

Gave/sold all my vinyl many years ago but kept about a dozen albums, his live double album being one.

R.I.P. Steve.

I must admit mate I've been doing a deep dive into the Cockney Rebel stuff since the sad news broke and my God I can hear all sorts in there that has clearly influenced more modern artists! Its been a bit of a revelation tbh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Make Me Smile is probably one of my favourite all time songs.

Sad news.

Rest In Power

Think Steve said it had made him the most money but he was sick of the song!

His albums contain so many good tracks, don't think thers a bad song on any of them?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/04/2024 at 22:58, oldjamfan1 said:

You forgot 'murderer'...

When you look into the facts of the case it was physically impossible for him to have done it.

The reason he was deemed innocent was because of the facts that the defence laid out in court.

It's actually a really interesting case to look into, there's a lot more to it than just a lovers tiff. Drug trafficking, neo nazi police, Ron Goldman potentially being a police informant. There's quite a bit going on.

In other news I see Weller's got a new record out. 66.

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

In other news I see Weller's got a new record out. 66.

Not out yet mate. Released on his 66th birthday at the end of May (hence the title).

He's playing KGH on Tuesday for those lucky enough to have a ticket. I’m coming down for it ✊🏻🍻

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

When you look into the facts of the case it was physically impossible for him to have done it.

What utter bullshit Upside down, if you believe he never murdered Goldman and Nicole I’ve a bridge to sell, going cheap, over the Thames, I’ll do you a good deal.

👍

Edited by Gav

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

What did you see to convince you that the jury verdict was incorrect?

The DNA evidence alone was overwhelming. Then when you realise that he had conveniently disposed of other incriminating evidence (clothes that he had been wearing on the night etc) but the clincher for me was the Bruno Magli shoes. The odds on it being anyone other than OJ Simpson that committed those murders was literally billions to one.

Joe Bloggs would have been convicted on much less evidence than that and like @Gav I watched the trial live at the time as it was fascinating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The DNA evidence alone was overwhelming. Then when you realise that he had conveniently disposed of other incriminating evidence (clothes that he had been wearing on the night etc) but the clincher for me was the Bruno Magli shoes. The odds on it being anyone other than OJ Simpson that committed those murders was literally billions to one.

Joe Bloggs would have been convicted on much less evidence than that and like @Gav I watched the trial live at the time as it was fascinating.

Hey, leave the Bruno Magli shoes out of this, I have a few pairs of those.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The trial went on for months,  did you guys really watch all of it or just the highlights?

The odds on it being a frame up job by neo nazi policemen are even higher. This was two years after the Rodney King riots and three years before the Rampart Scandal broke. All the same police department. 

Of course joe blogs would be convicted on less evidence, joe blogs doesn't have any money.

As for the shoes, there was never any record of him buying or owning a pair of them.

Also, how long does it take for spinach to digest? That's quite important. 

Edited by Upside Down

31 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

The trial went on for months,  did you guys really watch all of it or just the highlights?

The odds on it being a frame up job by neo nazi policemen are even higher. This was two years after the Rodney King riots and three years before the Rampart Scandal broke. All the same police department. 

Of course joe blogs would be convicted on less evidence, joe blogs doesn't have any money.

As for the shoes, there was never any record of him buying or owning a pair of them.

Also, how long does it take for spinach to digest? That's quite important. 

Why did he not only get changed but ‘lost’ the clothes he had been wearing that night?

Did he anticipate the neo-nazi police were about to frame him?

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Why did he not only get changed but ‘lost’ the clothes he had been wearing that night?

Did he anticipate the neo-nazi police were about to frame him?

Maybe, more likely he was absolutely off his chops on meth.

Maybe that explains why he walked around so much when he was doing his butchering.

I'm going to look into this again, there was a lot of really interesting aspects to it.

• Like 1

Derek Underwood RIP

He was a unique bowler, accurate, turned the ball sideways at a fair pace, unplayable at times, never seen a player like him

That was in the days of uncovered pitches of course; whether he'd be as successful on the modern, flat tracks who knows? 

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

RIP ‘Deadly’ Derek Underwood, another childhood hero gone 😢

Really, that’s shame. I remember coming home from work on the last day of an Ashes test in the UK. It was about 4-50 pm when games finished at 6-00 pm.The Aussies were hanging on for a draw at about 55 for 2. Underwood had them all out in under an hour on a wicket that was helping him. For the last couple of wickets every England fielder was in camera shot surrounding the batsman !

Thanks for the memories Derek.

Edit - just looked it up. The Oval 1968. The highlights are on YouTube for those interested.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1