BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

22 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

A vile and misinformed comment . Your lack of understanding regarding mental health is astounding . Also a complete lie that you haven’t heard of someone . 

In what way is my remark misinformed?

As for a lack of understanding on mental health issues you are completely wrong as it's something I have much real life experience of.

Why would I lie about whether or not I know who Caroline Flack was? Can you explain why I should know who she is? I'm aware of Love Island but have never watched it. I've very occassionaly seen X factor.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ok, I'll bite. 

How is it selfish?

I'm not asking anyone to bite but expressing my view. As I see it there is no way to describe how difficult it must be for someone to carry out the act. It seems to me the drivers are to end their misery and to end a skewed idea it will protect those around them. This is what makes me feel it's selfish as the reverse is true with regard to those left behnd.

I wasn't going to comment on why I've some understanding of mental health issues but I've changed my mind.

I know four people with diagnosed bi polar. One chose me, no one else, to confide in. I don't know why. I knew nothing about the disease. For four months I was the only person who knew. More people know now and the person is, nearly three years later, well on the road to recovery. During those four months, when I was sworn to secrecy, I tried to understand and learn what to do from zero knowledge. My every action was about trying to help and equally I worried constantly if any of my actions were contributing to or worsening the illness. It was a torture for me. Only my friend knows how it was for her.

Second my best friend in life, that's in 65 years, suffers from this terrible illness. The illness is controlled through medication but cannot be increased further. I know through everything I see things over the last two years have driven my friend to the point whereby I no longer understand how life is being held together. This is the strongest person I know. I feel I do know the one thing which stops my friend totally falling apart. I worry every hour of every day as I try to find ways to help. Things are at a point in recent months where every effort fails.

So I feel I understand something of what those with mental illness face. I also have real understanding of the impact this has on those who love and care for them the most.

Finally I'll add that despite my best effort this post can be read as though it is about me. It isn't. It's a probably very poor attempt to explain why I understand a little because it can only ever be a little - which saddens me every day.

Edited by Paul

15 hours ago, Husky said:

Moving back onto somebody with some actual talent:

Weatherall was brilliant, no doubt about that and a sad loss. He was the same age as me as well, which is always a very sobering thought.

However, I think your comment is a bit harsh mate, to be honest. Don't be fooled into thinking that Caroline Flack wasn't extremely talented. She was an excellent TV presenter and a superb dancer as well. The fact that you or I might not have been into the shows she was involved in doesn't mean she wasn't a very talented young lady. Apologies if I come across as a grumpy sod but it did hit a bit of a raw nerve with me that comment.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Paul said:

In what way is my remark misinformed?

As for a lack of understanding on mental health issues you are completely wrong as it's something I have much real life experience of.

Why would I lie about whether or not I know who Caroline Flack was? Can you explain why I should know who she is? I'm aware of Love Island but have never watched it. I've very occassionaly seen X factor.

Come on mate , hand back the spade . 

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm not asking anyone to bite but expressing my view. As I see it there is no way to describe how difficult it must be for someone to carry out the act. It seems to me the drivers are to end their misery and to end a skewed idea it will protect those around them. This is what makes me feel it's selfish as the reverse is true with regard to those left behnd.

I wasn't going to comment on why I've some understanding of mental health issues but I've changed my mind.

I know four people with diagnosed bi polar. One chose me, no one else, to confide in. I don't know why. I knew nothing about the disease. For four months I was the only person who knew. More people know now and the person is, nearly three years later, well on the road to recovery. During those four months, when I was sworn to secrecy, I tried to understand and learn what to do from zero knowledge. My every action was about trying to help and equally I worried constantly if any of my actions were contributing to or worsening the illness. It was a torture for me. Only my friend knows how it was for her.

Second my best friend in life, that's in 65 years, suffers from this terrible illness. The illness is controlled through medication but cannot be increased further. I know through everything I see things over the last two years have driven my friend to the point whereby I no longer understand how life is being held together. This is the strongest person I know. I feel I do know the one thing which stops my friend totally falling apart. I worry every hour of every day as I try to find ways to help. Things are at a point in recent months where every effort fails.

So I feel I understand something of what those with mental illness face. I also have real understanding of the impact this has on those who love and care for them the most.

Finally I'll add that despite my best effort this post can be read as though it is about me. It isn't. It's a probably very poor attempt to explain why I understand a little because it can only ever be a little - which saddens me every day.

But you haven’t actually Personally  contemplated that the world would be a better place without you on it ?.........

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Weatherall was brilliant, no doubt about that and a sad loss. He was the same age as me as well, which is always a very sobering thought.

However, I think your comment is a bit harsh mate, to be honest. Don't be fooled into thinking that Caroline Flack wasn't extremely talented. She was an excellent TV presenter and a superb dancer as well. The fact that you or I might not have been into the shows she was involved in doesn't mean she wasn't a very talented young lady. Apologies if I come across as a grumpy sod but it did hit a bit of a raw nerve with me that comment.

Agreed on all counts , perhaps there was a time I’d think it was superior to like the cool techno DJ over the lady from the dancing but I grew out pit that thankfully 

• Like 1

I watched the Jimmy Greaves documentary last night (I thought he was just someone that was on TV back in the late 80s and early 90s - Saint & Greavsie on ITV for me - before Sky killed everything). But supposedly he also kicked a ball around way back before professional football was invented.

Anyway, it was basically an Obituary. I had to look the guy up. ?

Edited by Husky

1 hour ago, Husky said:

I watched the Jimmy Greaves documentary last night (I thought he was just someone that was on TV back in the late 80s and early 90s - Saint & Greavsie on ITV for me - before Sky killed everything). But supposedly he also kicked a ball around way back before professional football was invented.

Anyway, it was basically an Obituary. I had to look the guy up. ?

Damian Duff, Matt Jansen, Andy Cole all in one body. Possibly the best pure goalscorer I ever saw.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2020 at 13:35, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Damian Duff, Matt Jansen, Andy Cole all in one body. Possibly the best pure goalscorer I ever saw.

Greaves would thrive in any era but modern teams would slaughter teams from the 60's.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Greaves would thrive in any era but modern teams would slaughter teams from the 60's.

Nice finish to the the video. Maybe they would slaughter them but do they entertain us like the old teams Phil ? I'd say not even slightly. Greaves would be a star in any era, he was a one off. Watching that what's missing is the knee slides, team dances, corner flag kicking etc. Maybe that's what passes for entertainment these days.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, KS Cracovia said:

Its a football forum mate not the family twitter feed  ???

He was poor at best. 

So was your post. The equivalent of posting "Peter Whittingham was shit" (which, if we are being honest, he was for Rovers) an hour after his death was announced.  Absolutely no need for it.

And by the way, I'm no snowflake, but your motivation - behind the cloak of an internet pseudonym - to post how 'poor' the bloke was just after his death was announced says more about you than it does about the quality of Little and Large's comedy.

• Like 5

I too thought little and large were poor but he was a human being with family and friends and the comment is in very poor taste. John Donne had it right when he said Each man's death diminishes me or whatever the exact line was.

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I too thought little and large were poor but he was a human being with family and friends and the comment is in very poor taste. John Donne had it right when he said Each man's death diminishes me or whatever the exact line was.

Yes, and " Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for you ".