BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

2 hours ago, DE. said:

You've never heard of Kobe Bryant? I literally have no interest in basketball and know who he is. 

Must admit I had no idea who he was, just saw all the twitter trends that he had died and clicked to see who he was.

My basketball knowledge is limited to  the Harlem Globetrotters from their appearances on World of Sport (one for the oldies ) , that bloke Jordan who has a line of trainers named after him and that chap (Dennis something?) with nose rings who went to North Korea a couple of times.

Regardless it is extremely sad what has happened to all those involved

Edited by perthblue02

• Moderation Lead
13 hours ago, Montyburns said:

Never heard of him. Helicopters are proven death machines used by mainly the rich. If he travelled by car or train he would most likely still be alive.

Classy, Saxo.

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Never heard of Kobe Bryant? The guy is on Michael Jordan levels in basketball. It would be like Messi dying in a helicopter crash - the bloke is a legend. 

He’s on the wind up mate, he just posts polarising opinions to get a bite. 
It’s about his 700th re registration and it’s well embarrassing.

Michael Jordan level is a bit extreme, but he is a huge figure in the sport and in world sport. 

I'm not someone who gets particularly impacted by celebrity deaths, it is always sad, but then it is not as if they are my friends or family. That being said, as someone who grew up in America, Kobe Bryant was the first young athlete I really related to. Up until that moment, everyone had always seen so much older, but I was 9 when he came into the league straight out of high school and so it was the first time that I felt as if an athlete was young/similar to my own age. 

That has made his death rather odd to think about. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dreyski said:

Kirk Douglas has passed at the age of 103. That’s impressively old.

And a wonderful tribute by Michael Douglas, to his dad:

"It is with tremendous sadness that my brothers and I announce that Kirk Douglas left us today at the age of 103. To the world he was a legend, an actor from the golden age of movies who lived well into his golden years, a humanitarian whose commitment to justice and the causes he believed in set a standard for all of us to aspire to.

But to me and my brothers Joel and Peter he was simply Dad, to Catherine, a wonderful father-in-law, to his grandchildren and great grandchild their loving grandfather, and to his wife Anne, a wonderful husband.

Kirk's life was well lived, and he leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and a history as a renowned philanthropist who worked to aid the public and bring peace to the planet..

Let me end with the words I told him on his last birthday and which will always remain true. Dad- I love you so much and I am so proud to be your son."

• 2 weeks later...

It's very sad for those connected with the individual when someone dies. We shouldn't lose sight of this.

It's being widely reported Caroline Flack committed suicide. A very selfish act.

I wonder more and more about the cult of the celebrity and why so many people have to live their lives through others. I had never heard of her before.

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's very sad for those connected with the individual when someone dies. We shouldn't lose sight of this.

It's being widely reported Caroline Flack committed suicide. A very selfish act.

I wonder more and more about the cult of the celebrity and why so many people have to live their lives through others. I had never heard of her before.

A vile and misinformed comment . Your lack of understanding regarding mental health is astounding . Also a complete lie that you haven’t heard of someone . 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Ok, I'll bite. 

How is it selfish?

I don't think suicide is selfish, although it has a huge impact on their loved ones.

People who kill themselves are in intense and overwhelming pain, and often have distorted thinking and perception. Although it's hard to understand, they may feel like people are better off without them. 

I have to say I had never heard of Caroline Flack before Saturday. 

• Like 2

I think it’s the implication that when someone commits suicide it affects so many other people be it friends and family grieving or the officials involved in dealing with the situation and so on , 

but hey it’s not like people to want to kill them selves just to be awkward.

imagine sinking so low that you feel you have no worth existing ? Some Of don’t have to imagine that  , they have been at that point but are still here now be it for divine intervention or just making a balls up of the attempt 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Suicide is usually incredibly selfless in it's intention. Obviously, someone contemplating suicide isn't thinking straight, but having spoken to people who come within a hair's breadth, they usually believe sacrificing themselves will improve the lives of their loved ones.

It's not usually viewed as an escape from debt or criticism or whatever. It's usually 'everyone wants me to die, maybe I should'.

• Like 1