BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Charlton

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two proud clubs playing in league 1 due to incompetent and irresponsible ownership. Very sad.

At the start of the season there was talk of a joint protest but I guess fatigue has set in and nobody can face trying to organise anything. Also success on the pitch pushes these matters to the back of most people's minds which is probably right as nobody wants to derail the promotion push. 

Anyone know Charlton's current situation with respect to Duchatelet? There were reports he was willing to sell.

As for the match, a quick comparison of the respective squads and I think we look superior in most departments but I'd be more confident if it was an away fixture.

I think we will win but make hard work of it 2-1 

33 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Two proud clubs playing in league 1 due to incompetent and irresponsible ownership. Very sad.

At the start of the season there was talk of a joint protest but I guess fatigue has set in and nobody can face trying to organise anything. Also success on the pitch pushes these matters to the back of most people's minds which is probably right as nobody wants to derail the promotion push. 

Anyone know Charlton's current situation with respect to Duchatelet? There were reports he was willing to sell.

As for the match, a quick comparison of the respective squads and I think we look superior in most departments but I'd be more confident if it was an away fixture.

I think we will win but make hard work of it 2-1 

The hatred of Duchalet by the Charlton fans is possibly even stronger than ours of Venkys; a friend of a friend got a job there as Head of Comms and was compared to Goebbels on their message boards within 24 hours of starting.

On the game I see no reason we won't win this one comfortably - 3-0 Dack involved in all three.

3 hours ago, benhben said:

Charlton fans seem to be expecting a tonking. Last few Charlton performances have been bad by the looks of it. Interesting how they single out Bradley Dack and...Ben Gladwin as an example of our squad strength. Obviously dont know how bad he is.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80200/blackburn-v-charlton-sat-16-dec-3pm-ko-match-preview-predictions-news-views

Is he bad?

It's not that long since we were all saying the same about Smallwood and Dack

Charlton fans seem to be expecting a tonking. Last few Charlton performances have been bad by the looks of it. Interesting how they single out Bradley Dack and...Ben Gladwin as an example of our squad strength. Obviously dont know how bad he is.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80200/blackburn-v-charlton-sat-16-dec-3pm-ko-match-preview-predictions-news-views

Awful ground ???? - Probably the best away section outside the Prem with it's allocation, room and facilities.

Not great surrounding area ??? -  Says someone from Charlton in the depths of London !

Not been around as much as he says that fella I don't think.

had to chuckle at one of the Charlton forum comments "Charisma By-pass Mowbray............."

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Samuel isnt a winger. Hes a striker who scores goals and using his pace

Gallagher wasn't a winger either but Mowbray used him to good effect there, like at Brentford. Mowbray calls them 'wide forwards' or some such so it's obviously a tactic he isn't afraid of using.

Well anyone who fancies a flutter you can get almost even money for over 2.5 goals in the game, been a real money spinner in recent weeks.

But to the game itself, Charlton have been extremely poor away from home of late, after notable wins at both Bradford and Fleetwood earlier in the season.

So fingers crossed they continue the trend.

Rovers 3 Charlton 1

People saying Robinson likes to play an open game but I think he will park the bus here.   He will try to halt their slide and to come away from Ewood with a point would be a big plus and confidence builder for them.  Winning run to end but 1-1 keeps us unbeaten.  We go down to a goal from a corner with a late Nyambe equalizer.  Hope we win but the run has to end sometime,   Would like to see us come out all guns blazing for an early goal so they have to come out.

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Gallagher wasn't a winger either but Mowbray used him to good effect there, like at Brentford. Mowbray calls them 'wide forwards' or some such so it's obviously a tactic he isn't afraid of using.

Sorry but Samuel should be starting as our main striker not as a winger when Antonsson and Conway should be playing wide

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Gallagher was tall but a little better with the ball at his feet and his general all-around game is a bit better though he lacks some of Samuel's power and strength.  Samuel has played out there before and looked out of position so unless he's done a lot of work on the training ground I wouldn't want to see him there.  Although it leaves the side lacking pace I still think Graham is the best player we have up top and I think he's had a lot more good appearances than bad recently.  

Hopefully, Charlton come and try to play like Portsmouth and we get a similar result.

It's a real shame we don't have a pacy wide player coming through from the U-23s.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but Samuel should be starting as our main striker not as a winger when Antonsson and Conway should be playing wide

I didn't say he shouldn't be starting as our main striker, I was just pointing out that Mowbray isn't averse to sticking a striker out wide. Whether you think he can only play as a striker is moot as it's Mowbray who picks the team, as you often point out.

15 hours ago, tomphil said:

Awful ground ???? - Probably the best away section outside the Prem with it's allocation, room and facilities.

Not great surrounding area ??? -  Says someone from Charlton in the depths of London !

Not been around as much as he says that fella I don't think.

You have to laugh,Ewood is like Monaco compared to ferkin Charlton.

Stuff 'em Rovers!

4 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Gallagher was tall but a little better with the ball at his feet and his general all-around game is a bit better though he lacks some of Samuel's power and strength.  Samuel has played out there before and looked out of position so unless he's done a lot of work on the training ground I wouldn't want to see him there.  Although it leaves the side lacking pace I still think Graham is the best player we have up top and I think he's had a lot more good appearances than bad recently.  

Hopefully, Charlton come and try to play like Portsmouth and we get a similar result.

It's a real shame we don't have a pacy wide player coming through from the U-23s.

I'm not saying he should play there I'm just pointing out it is a tactic Mowbray has used. As for Gally he was a very powerful runner, much more so than Samuel. A lot stronger too. Samuel is a bit of a tart sometimes for a man of his height. Poor finisher too IMO.

I agree with you on Graham, he's easily our best finisher, it's just that he seems to play better with a strike partner. Maybe he's just never been match fit this season, or his legs have gone, but the lone frontman role seems a bit too much for him. If he starts scoring though we'd be unstoppable as we've not had a striker score regularly all season (Samuel has missed some absolute sitters and Nuttall hasn't played enough to really judge).

We had a pacey winger. Mowbray didn't play him :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm not saying he should play there I'm just pointing out it is a tactic Mowbray has used. As for Gally he was a very powerful runner, much more so than Samuel. A lot stronger too. Samuel is a bit of a tart sometimes for a man of his height. Poor finisher too IMO.

I agree with you on Graham, he's easily our best finisher, it's just that he seems to play better with a strike partner. Maybe he's just never been match fit this season, or his legs have gone, but the lone frontman role seems a bit too much for him. If he starts scoring though we'd be unstoppable as we've not had a striker score regularly all season (Samuel has missed some absolute sitters and Nuttall hasn't played enough to really judge).

We had a pacey winger. Mowbray didn't play him :rolleyes:

To be fair he started him then he got injured. I’d habe guessd he was a starter from then on.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15776949._I_think_that_is_hugely_improved____Rovers_boss_hails_team_spirit_after_last_season___s____problems____were____ironed_out___/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Mowbray is right to praise the team spirit. It's been apparent all season the players are playing for each other. They all look a lot more committed to the cause than last season and players like Smallwood doesn't let anybody from the oppo take the piss when the boots started flying in. It's almost like a proper football team! Conway was also singled out yesterday as being the man who looks after the discipline off the pitch (dishes out the rollockings when people are late etc). Discipline and respect seem to be big things for Mowbray which is exactly what a club needs from it's manager, especially when there is no discernible structure in place at the club at Board level.

Anyway, we'll need that spirit in abundance today. We're playing Barcelona again.

1 minute ago, Garage Flower said:

Maybe I’ve confused myself then. I’m positive I read that Mowbary said he planned on starting him regularly after he got injured?

That's easy to say when he's out injured for 3 months!

Mowbray was quite adamant Chapman didn't do enough defensively. Then he started him because we were struggling at home and we won 3-0 and got a rare clean sheet at home. Chapman made the difference that day. He then dropped him in the next game at Wigan where he got injured.

Mowbray's opinions on Nuttall flip-flopped as well when it suited him. 

12 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

We lack pace and have no one else. That's basically it

No more tinkering!

Conway on the right, Antonsson on the left, Dack behind Graham or Samuel.

With our form and league position, I expect Charlton will want to keep it tight. I'll go for a scrappy 2-1 win. Mulgrew and Downing.

I hope Tomlinson starts today along with Smallwood. Think he has earned it. Hope Evans is not started. I was in the Blackburn End for the Bristol Rovers game and in the first half Rovers were playing into the Darwen end. I had a great view but it looked like Evans and Smallwood were on the ball the most. Between them they could not pass the ball forward but Smallwood does an unbelievable job otherwise while Evans offers nothing. I hope Tomlinson goes in goes he seems to like to pass forward and we will need that today coz Charlton will play it tight and we need someone to break them down. 

Archived