BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Charlton

1 minute ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

There will be more on Ewood for the Boxing Day clash, no doubt about it. May well only be a crowd of 14k or so and not the 17k or 18k that would have turned out for a L1 clash without Venky’s in charge but hey ho.

No one is forgiving and forgetting by the way. Whilst I respect the wishes of the NAPM brigade, it has been proved that, so far, their initiative has not worked. As I said a few days ago in another thread, the missing turnover from the NAPMers has not hurt our owners in the slightest. Venky’s are wealthy enough to not notice and will leave on their term and when they are ready.

Perhaps mods, we could have a poll purely for the NAPMers, to see just why they are boycotting, something along the lines of

a. To deny Venky’s additional income in an attempt to get them to leave

b. Can’t forgive or forget the turmoil they’ve caused

c. Other/personal reasons.

Let’s not forget, local businesses are suffering because of the lower attendances. Cafes, pubs, newsagents, bus & coach companies etc. It would be great to see the pubs rammed on Boxing Day and everyone given a tonic, if you’ll pardon the pun.

I’m not slating the NAPM brigade in any way here. I just want to get my head around just why they are boycotting when logic dictates it has not been a success.

There are a lot of Darweners planning to go on Boxing Day that haven't been for a few years that I'm aware of. Some of the names have surprised me and if that's indicative generally, there could be 20k on.

I hope so and that Boxing Day isn't just a flash in the pan.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its naive in the extreme to think that just because we're well placed in the league (for once) and looking like being in a promotion race that suddenly the missing thousands are going to come flocking back to Ewood.

When you treat your customers with nothing but contempt for 7 years running along with delivering dreadful stuff on the pitch then the outcome is obvious. We're talking about years of damage here that can't just be erased in a few weeks because the lads are getting wins.

I'd like nothing more than 15,000+ on Ewood every week as we go for promotion but that is unlikely to happen because the circumstances here are not normal circumstances.

The club continues to fail in many aspects of making Ewood an exciting and enjoyable place to be. One small example being the pre-match music played at such a low volume even my relatively young ears struggled to even pick up it was playing. Little to no effort going in really to make matchdays a better atmosphere. The whole thing needs an overhaul by someone with some motivation. New songs, louder volume, an MC whipping people up before kick off.

Some people will come back, but equally some won't be affected by results and performances and have made up their minds. Fair enough either way.

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

How where we lucky Best was offside. Raya got up and saved the rebound anyway!

He was outstanding today.

Should rephrase that. Lucky Best was on the end of it. Ya agree Raya was good from what I saw and heard that he was commanding under the high ball. Good to hear

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

A win and a clean sheet..

Performance wasnt the best but the players found a way to win and thats what we want and need to do. 

Very happy night tonight. 

Pleased to see Raya coming for high balls and being so commanding of his box. Good balls played out today to start counter attacks. 

Mulgrew and Downing were solid enough. 

Smallwood and Dack poor today. 

3 points we got

Dack wasn’t poor. 

39 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

There will be more on Ewood for the Boxing Day clash, no doubt about it. May well only be a crowd of 14k or so and not the 17k or 18k that would have turned out for a L1 clash without Venky’s in charge but hey ho.

No one is forgiving and forgetting by the way. Whilst I respect the wishes of the NAPM brigade, it has been proved that, so far, their initiative has not worked. As I said a few days ago in another thread, the missing turnover from the NAPMers has not hurt our owners in the slightest. Venky’s are wealthy enough to not notice and will leave on their term and when they are ready.

Perhaps mods, we could have a poll purely for the NAPMers, to see just why they are boycotting, something along the lines of

Let’s not forget, local businesses are suffering because of the lower attendances. Cafes, pubs, newsagents, bus & coach companies etc. It would be great to see the pubs rammed on Boxing Day and everyone given a tonic, if you’ll pardon the pun.

I’m not slating the NAPM brigade in any way here. I just want to get my head around just why they are boycotting when logic dictates it has not been a success.

We're digressing but I'm not even sure where this NAPM stuff actually came from?

I know plenty that are boycotting on principle, not because of money, and all credit to them for that I say.

We have all had our reasons one way or another and those reasons should be respected.

Raya was MOM today. A faultless performance. Oh sorry, he once gave a low kick out to a Charlton player. He came out and caught cleanly on several occasions.9/10

Second half I thought Charlton were by far the best (:rolleyes:) side to come to Ewood so far. I am impressed with how Rovers dug in and were determined to grind out a 1-0 win. I thought Charlton were about to equalise when Nuttall's persistence and cross for Graham brought me to my feet.

Nyambe still gives me the jitters. Williams has improved greatly. Conway is too greedy and needs to pass more. Smallwood was off colour with some of his passing.

56 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

There are a lot of Darweners planning to go on Boxing Day that haven't been for a few years that I'm aware of. Some of the names have surprised me and if that's indicative generally, there could be 20k on.

I hope so and that Boxing Day isn't just a flash in the pan.

I would welcome every last Rovers' fan back with open arms. Supporting the team is not linked to being accepting of Venkys in any way. We'll be here long after they've gone.

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Yeah that's of unimaginable importance to me. Indeed my interest of fairness is so strong that I have positioned a great big map on my wall pinpointing each newsagent in the town. I throw a dart each time deciding which one will receive my custom. 

I don't visit cafes or public houses so that's an irrelevance to me but those who do PLEASE be fair and rotate or choose at random.  

Why are they suffering relative to businesses in other parts of the town outside the centre? Unless any remortgaged or took out a loan a few years back based on predicted attendances is it really gonna hurt that much? Games like today...23 a year minimum is anyone going to adjust their entire business plan just for that? Obviously matchday revenue for businesses in the area will have gone down but its still gonna be more than other business outside the town centre isn't it? 

3 hours ago, GreenRover said:

We were lucky best was offside for their chance in the second half. Raya should have palmed it out to the side.

I hope you are joking, that was save of the season. I was sat right in line with the shot and I thought it was in as soon as he hit it but Raya somehow got there to stop it, getting anything on it at all was incredible and you are asking him to palm it out for a corner! Secondly, he Fing miraculously saved Best's shot! Your post beggar's belief.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I hope you are joking, that was save of the season. I was sat right in line with the shot and I thought it was in as soon as he hit it but Raya somehow got there to stop it, getting anything on it at all was incredible and you are asking him to palm it out for a corner! Secondly, he Fing miraculously saved Best's shot! Your post beggar's belief.

I was on a perfect angle as well (BBE side of JW lower) and i was convinced it was in, outstanding save 

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Raya was MOM today. A faultless performance. Oh sorry, he once gave a low kick out to a Charlton player. He came out and caught cleanly on several occasions.9/10

Second half I thought Charlton were by far the best (:rolleyes:) side to come to Ewood so far. I am impressed with how Rovers dug in and were determined to grind out a 1-0 win. I thought Charlton were about to equalise when Nuttall's persistence and cross for Graham brought me to my feet.

Nyambe still gives me the jitters. Williams has improved greatly. Conway is too greedy and needs to pass more. Smallwood was off colour with some of his passing.

I wonder how often a Rovers keeper gets MOM. I thought he was outstanding today. The Cornwall South East branch of the Rovers Supporters Club were in attendance at Ewood.

it was great to see us win for the sixth successive game.

It was so good to witness the second goal and the reaction of fans and players alike. I can’t remember the last time a goalie ran the length of the pitch to celebrate with the whole team.

Charlton played some good stuff second half without ever creating a clear cut chance.

But I shall drive back tomorrow with my hopes for promotion back on track.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

The club continues to fail in many aspects of making Ewood an exciting and enjoyable place to be. One small example being the pre-match music played at such a low volume even my relatively young ears struggled to even pick up it was playing. Little to no effort going in really to make matchdays a better atmosphere. The whole thing needs an overhaul by someone with some motivation. New songs, louder volume, an MC whipping people up before kick off.

Didn't you appreciate Ray Vonn doing the halftime draw ?? 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

The music for many years was deafening to the point of not being able to have a conversation with the person stood next to you. I think that is more important. I go to gigs for loud music. 

4 hours ago, Gav said:

We're digressing but I'm not even sure where this NAPM stuff actually came from?

I know plenty that are boycotting on principle, not because of money, and all credit to them for that I say.

We have all had our reasons one way or another and those reasons should be respected.

I think it came from and was started by the Blackpool fans

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

First shot I was talking about. I agree that the second shot was an unbelievable save

12 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You'd need to add  a 4th choice 

d) A combination of all of these

as I don't think for anyone it's that simple. 

Archived