BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton Town v Rovers

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dallydally said:

Great 3 points against Charlton. Now for next weekend. Will it be 7 on the bounce? What line up would you play? Mine would be -

Raya, 

Nyambe, Downing, Mulgrew, Williams

Tomlinson, Smallwood

Conway, Dack, Antonnson

Graham

Yeah probably. I'm less than impressed by a couple of those but we've nobody else to bring in at the moment.

Hope we are not complacent here. If we are right for this we should win and Shrewsbury playing Portsmouth at home. Reckon they will slip up here and draw so if we win we will hit 2nd place. Just hope we are right for this game coz we could look at our away form and think this will be foregone conclusion. Far from it. 

13 hours ago, Gav said:

How are the ticket sales going?

Looks like they only had 150 left at some point yesterday,i know the option to purchase online as disappeared from the website.

I do have mine but i have just been on the Northampton website and it let me register to purchase tickets in there West stand with the option of pick up on the day 

Two things worth remembering about Northampton.

When Hasselbaink joined them they were dead and gone so their form is a bit better than their league position suggests.

They are a team that loses by big margins but also wins with thumping scorelines.

If we start slowly and let the first goal in, we could easily be two or three down before we have regathered our forces.

However, if we start hard with pressing them onto the back foot, we ought to be OK here. 

19 minutes ago, philipl said:

They are a team that loses by big margins but also wins with thumping scorelines.

If we start slowly and let the first goal in, we could easily be two or three down before we have regathered our forces.

I genuinely have no idea where you get this stuff from.  In their last 20 games they've had one 3-1 win,  a few 2-1 wins and a couple of 1-0's.

29 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am going on Friday, has anyone any ideas of decent pubs in Northampton center? 

Can't remember many.  It's a couple of years since I was there. 

But the ground is easy to reach from the motorway. You get there a long time before you hit the town centre. 

It's a fairly new build on a retail park. There's a bowling alley,  cinema, chain restaurants etc but no 'proper' pubs as I recall, anyway. 

Northampton haven't really picked since they changed manager. We should be able to pick them off. 

We are the  team for others in this division to worry about now. Nice to be the hunters and not the hunted for a change. 

Excellent ground guide, travel, pubs etc for those going:-

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/sixfields-stadium-northampton-town.html

Sixfields looks a bit of a soulless shithole, but if we do sell out and you still want to go you can stand on the hill and still see half the pitch for free...0r even if we don't sell out but you're tight as cramp.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I genuinely have no idea where you get this stuff from.  In their last 20 games they've had one 3-1 win,  a few 2-1 wins and a couple of 1-0's.

Couldn't agree more, he seems to be making it up as he goes along these days, which is pointless?

Anyway back to the game, Northamptons recent claim to fame was allowing Coventry to squat there for a few seasons, you'd regularly see Cov fans outside the ground protesting and very few actually inside the ground - Just another example of terrible owners being allowed to do what the hell they want, as the suits at FA munch on corporate hospitality and feather there own nest.....

We have absolutely nothing to fear here, bit worried that we ran out of steam yesterday but Charlton were a better side than many expected and we still came through, comfortably in the end.

So I'm going for 1-3 Rovers win.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Woops- I thought they had a 6-0 and a 4-1 win at home. Actually they were defeats by those scorelines!

• J*B pinned this topic
3 hours ago, only2garners said:

Anyone know why this game is kicking off at 2pm?

Was about to ask the same question. Won't be many at the rugby - Northampton Saints are having a bad season. 

Sixfields is one of the most soul-destroying grounds in the league - devoid of character and atmosphere. Hoping for another away 4-2 ! 

I remember helping my mate park bikes and scooters in his back yard down by Ewood in 1965. We kept hearing cheers but never dreamt that they were for goals as they were too frequent. Anyhow the plan was to get on the ground at halftime ( I think for free, too! ). After we climbed the steps at the back of the old Blackburn end we discovered that Rovers had scored 5 times before halftime and went on to win 6-1.. lets hope for a repeat. I never parked bikes with him, again!

35 minutes ago, mick said:

I remember helping my mate park bikes and scooters in his back yard down by Ewood in 1965. We kept hearing cheers but never dreamt that they were for goals as they were too frequent. Anyhow the plan was to get on the ground at halftime ( I think for free, too! ). After we climbed the steps at the back of the old Blackburn end we discovered that Rovers had scored 5 times before halftime and went on to win 6-1.. lets hope for a repeat. I never parked bikes with him, again!

I am nervous about posting on this thread but here goes.

Northampton Town went from the (newly created) Fourth Division to First in four years and back down to Fourth in five during the '60s.

They were relegated with us from the First in 1965/6.

Their wait to get back to the top tier is continuing... 

Just now, philipl said:

And will continue continuing as long as Hasselbaink continues as their manager.

After a week's break, I reckon yet another 'feel good' away fixture against your fictitious goal machine of a team will see us bag another three points. ;)

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

I am nervous about posting on this thread but here goes.

Northampton Town went from the (newly created) Fourth Division to First in four years and back down to Fourth in five during the '60s.

They were relegated with us from the First in 1965/6.

*currently fact-checking based on probability you have them confused with Norwich or someone*:P

Archived