BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton Town v Rovers

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a long running police investigation over the missing millions but as of yet, no charges have been brought. It's such a shocking situation - local council funds a £10million loan to grow the club, expand the stadium, build a hotel etc, a once in a lifetime opportunity to take the club forward and the chairman gets involved with these dodgy characters and we end up with a half finished stand and a mountain of debt. The new chairman came in, the council took back control of the land surrounding the stadium as a way of getting some finance back from the land value. Somehow we steamrollered the League when all this was going on. We now have some Chinese investment but no further forward on finishing the stand. The town the size of Northampton, population of over 250k could/should be pushing Championship level. We had an opportunity to make it happen and its gutting what's happened. 

You're twice the size of Blackburn Wadey, but another example of a club ruined by greedy @#/?s by the sounds of it.

The powers that be couldn't care less, who the hell are Northampton? and as we've found to our cost who the hell are Blackburn Rovers? A small town northern club punching above their weight, we don't want that, they don't fill their ground every week...

Makes you sick.

Anyway see you on Saturday, looking forward to it.  

6 hours ago, Wadey97 said:

There's a long running police investigation over the missing millions but as of yet, no charges have been brought. It's such a shocking situation - local council funds a £10million loan to grow the club, expand the stadium, build a hotel etc, a once in a lifetime opportunity to take the club forward and the chairman gets involved with these dodgy characters and we end up with a half finished stand and a mountain of debt. The new chairman came in, the council took back control of the land surrounding the stadium as a way of getting some finance back from the land value. Somehow we steamrollered the League when all this was going on. We now have some Chinese investment but no further forward on finishing the stand. The town the size of Northampton, population of over 250k could/should be pushing Championship level. We had an opportunity to make it happen and its gutting what's happened. 

Our oldest was born in Northampton and I used to teach there. We'll be at the game on Saturday as Rovers fans. but we are part-time Cobblers. 

We watch them when we can. Their promotion the season before last and the manner of it was unbelievable given the backdrop of events at the time.  Brilliant football.

If Rovers fans haven't been following closely, they might not appreciate the depth of problems Northampton have faced.  Or the lengths many have gone to in order to save the club. 

http://www.footytube.com/news/football-mourns-brian-lomax-the-founding-father-of-supporter-activism-43790

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/12014571/Northampton-Towns-plight-is-indicative-of-life-as-a-lower-league-football-club-powerless-to-the-whims-of-big-finance.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-36342097

Good luck for 2017/8, Wadey. #proudtobe

3 hours ago, markread said:

If Rovers fans haven't been following closely, they might not appreciate the depth of problems Northampton have faced.  Or the lengths many have gone to in order to save the club. 

As football fans we often think our plight is out there in the wider footballing community, when in fact it isn't. I had no idea about Northamptons plight. Mismanagement and blatant dodgy dealing is rife in football and I bet very few clubs haven't been impacted, yet the suits in charge do sod all, as long as the next TV deals come in, who cares...?

I was talking to 2 Everton fans yesterday who thought our current troubles are linked to us living above our means and blowing the budget, they're now in no doubt that it was 'dark magic'!

7 hours ago, markread said:

Our oldest was born in Northampton and I used to teach there. We'll be at the game on Saturday as Rovers fans. but we are part-time Cobblers. 

We watch them when we can. Their promotion the season before last and the manner of it was unbelievable given the backdrop of events at the time.  Brilliant football.

http://www.footytube.com/news/football-mourns-brian-lomax-the-founding-father-of-supporter-activism-43790

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/12014571/Northampton-Towns-plight-is-indicative-of-life-as-a-lower-league-football-club-powerless-to-the-whims-of-big-finance.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-36342097

Good luck for 2017/8, Wadey. #proudtobe

Excellent research and knowledgeable. 

Cheers

20 hours ago, Wadey97 said:

I'm sceptical about Cardoza/Cardoso I'm aware an architect was invoicing against the project (built by Buckingham through county developments through 1st land) for Cardoza's own house extension! Not sure how 10/12 million on a JCT design and build contract with staged tranched payments for progress ever got certified by 1st land nor the councillor mackintosh who seemingly paid tax payers money of almost 8 million for a build valued by Buckingham of 2.7 million at the time they determined contract! I'd love to see these chancers get locked up for the misappropriation of public funds and see who/how certified this! Buckingham seemingly got bumped themselves in the process by Howard Grossman but did the stand ever get finished? Imagine Thomas paid to get it done? I looked at the plans before it went out to tender before build and it looked like it was going to be full of cooperate boxes mid tier and more seating? 

Glad to see the Chinese involved and things more settled be interesting if the retail and cinema goes ahead on the land!?

Remember it unfolding Wilder was terrific galvanising and bar our game then I'd like to say good luck to the future! 

On 19/12/2017 at 19:11, Wadey97 said:

Northampton fan here. You should have no trouble beating us. We are devoid of pace and width and hardly score goals and always prone to being prised open at the back at will. However, we do have the occasional performance in us. The win on Saturday will boost the confidence but that's probably it for the next 3 or 4 games. I'm looking forward to the game with little expectation. It will be good to see 1,500 strong away fans. Sixfields offers little for away fans although there will probably be a couple of bars/food kiosks outside the away end which can be accessed after entering the stadium. We won't sell out so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of your lot here in the home ends. Be quiet and all will be fine! We haven't played each other in the league since 1967 and probably won't meet again for many a year after this season. Our aim is to stay in this league for as long as possible with one day pushing for the Championship but we need investment on the pitch and to re-start the stadium re-development. Kick off at 2pm as Saints rugby have a sell-out (15,000) just down the road at 3pm. Enjoy the day and I hope to make the away game and tick off another ground. 

Cheers 

Thanks for the post. Looking forward to my first visit to Sixfields. Where would you recommended drinking before the game? A few of us are making an early journey down. 

I know there is very little around the ground so we either going to the pubs around Franklin Gardens or going into the centre.

What do you suggest? 

cheers 

On 19 December 2017 at 21:37, Dunnfc said:

Not great. Think this is his level, looked awful at Rangers last year when back from injury. On loan at Scunthorpe.

Wadey - what's the latest on Howard Grossman and the bankruptcy of 1st land limited? Has Marcus, Howard and Simon Petnick gone down yet?

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

I'm sceptical about Cardoza/Cardoso I'm aware an architect was invoicing against the project (built by Buckingham through county developments through 1st land) for Cardoza's own house extension! Not sure how 10/12 million on a JCT design and build contract with staged tranched payments for progress ever got certified by 1st land nor the councillor mackintosh who seemingly paid tax payers money of almost 8 million for a build valued by Buckingham of 2.7 million at the time they determined contract! I'd love to see these chancers get locked up for the misappropriation of public funds and see who/how certified this! Buckingham seemingly got bumped themselves in the process by Howard Grossman but did the stand ever get finished? Imagine Thomas paid to get it done? I looked at the plans before it went out to tender before build and it looked like it was going to be full of cooperate boxes mid tier and more seating? 

Glad to see the Chinese involved and things more settled be interesting if the retail and cinema goes ahead on the land!?

Remember it unfolding Wilder was terrific galvanising and bar our game then I'd like to say good luck to the future! 

Mackintosh has a lot to answer for. His Conservative party did well for donations around that time from Grossman whilst never checking what work was being done. Thomas has put seats in but the stand is a shell with no facilities. It was meant to be a two tiered stand with boxes through the middle but was scaled back to single tier and amazingly increased capacity by a paltry 200. Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, david brent said:

Thanks for the post. Looking forward to my first visit to Sixfields. Where would you recommended drinking before the game? A few of us are making an early journey down. 

I know there is very little around the ground so we either going to the pubs around Franklin Gardens or going into the centre.

What do you suggest? 

cheers 

Away fans often drink in TGI Fridays opposite the ground. The Walter Tull & Sixfields Tavern up the hill  are always rammed. The bowling place is quieter and people do drink there. Real Ale fans should head to the Malt Shovel in town or the Albion Brewery - the local Phipps brewery. Both near Carlsberg brewery ironically. Theyre about a ten minute car ride away (maybe 20 minutes with rugby and shopping traffic to contend with). The Sevens opposite Franklins Gardens is ok but Saints at home it caters for rugby fans so likely to be rammed also. I'm sure there will be bars/food behind the away stand that you can access once inside the ground so you can drink there. The Official South gravel car park is £4 just behind the away stand or there is a grass car park just behind that for £3 which is easier to get out of. Don't get to the ground too late or you'll be stuck queuing behind the rugby boys 4x4's. 

41 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

It's fixtures like this that are a cocktail stick in the eye and a reminder of what "they" have done to this club. :(

Yeah I've said fixtures like this even more than anomalies like Fleetwood. OK Northampton Town have actually played in the top flight once (during which only one club finished below them :unsure:) but for the most part they have been every bit as much lower league mainstays as the likes of Bury (granted a few seasons at Championship level) and Rochdale. I believe they spent more years in the same league than anyone outside a few top flight clubs and that's hardly same thing.

54 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

It's fixtures like this that are a cocktail stick in the eye and a reminder of what "they" have done to this club. :(

Not to the thousands that travel week in week out Shaun, hardly a seat to be had, fans are enjoying the trips, as galling as that may be :tu:

Just checked my route map for the trip to Northampton , unlike my trip to Peterborough its giving me 3 different routes, I did intend to go across country via M62 east then head south as I did for Peterborough , I was just wondering if anyone on here does a bit of traveling and could recommend the easiest route , as mileage wise they are all pretty equal ...Thanks

My starting point is OL12 8JB ...

6 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Just checked my route map for the trip to Northampton , unlike my trip to Peterborough its giving me 3 different routes, I did intend to go across country via M62 east then head south as I did for Peterborough , I was just wondering if anyone on here does a bit of traveling and could recommend the easiest route , as mileage wise they are all pretty equal ...Thanks

My starting point is OL12 8JB ...

Download the app ‘waze’ on your phone. It provides the quickest route in current traffic and adapts if there is any accidents, delays etc. It’ll get you there the quickest route possible. 

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:57, Gav said:

As football fans we often think our plight is out there in the wider footballing community, when in fact it isn't. I had no idea about Northamptons plight. Mismanagement and blatant dodgy dealing is rife in football and I bet very few clubs haven't been impacted, yet the suits in charge do sod all, as long as the next TV deals come in, who cares...?

I was talking to 2 Everton fans yesterday who thought our current troubles are linked to us living above our means and blowing the budget, they're now in no doubt that it was 'dark magic'!

Good to see the word is spreading about Venkys. I have friends in the gym now who use the term asquerosos granjeros de pollo, when referring to them!

On the Rovers facebook page, someone was advertising a couple of seats available on a minibus  a few mins ago.

Daniel Patrick O'sullivan shared his first post.

If anyone's struggling to get Northampton there's around 6 seats left on our minibus. We left it late to get an 8 seater so had to get a 17. Leaving from accrington about 9ish.

i am driving down and have a couple of spare seats but i am going from Shawforth Rossendale

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

2 lads I know have tickets but no transport - does anyone know of any seats available on any of the coaches? Please PM if you can help.

Craven Heifer in Darwen

Archived