BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton Town v Rovers

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penalty was awful, but we missed an absolute sitter just before that, took it round the keeper and smashed it into the side netting.... 

Northampton were absolute bobbins, but their goal came from believe it or not a back post header back across the goal, how many times are we going to conceed from this area?

We played ok, very well in parts, but the substitutions seemed to stifle us until the last 10 minutes.

I thought Ward was very good, this despite the lads around me, who incidentally had a combined IQ of less than my shoe size, abusing him at every touch. Dack ran the show at times and his goal was well taken.

All in all not a bad day.

37 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Somebody has posted a video of the penalty from behind the goal for those who have not seen it yet 

https://twitter.com/MoJaffer1/status/944608882361556992

That's not a catastrophic penalty, obviously should have been placed closer to the post but it's low and hard enough to still force a good save out of their keeper. 

42 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Awful penalty ..run up stop ..soft side foot ..trying to bluff the keeper ..that softly hit the keeper saves with one hand and the ball doesnt even rebound back out .

He's not alone you do see quite a few missed like that at all levels sadly and it's ridiculous really. If you were someone on a productive bonus and didn't hit your target you wouldn't get your bonus, players should lose their appearance bonus for shockers like that :rover:

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

Penalty was awful, but we missed an absolute sitter just before that, took it round the keeper and smashed it into the side netting.... 

Northampton were absolute bobbins, but their goal came from believe it or not a back post header back across the goal, how many times are we going to conceed from this area?

We played ok, very well in parts, but the substitutions seemed to stifle us until the last 10 minutes.

I thought Ward was very good, this despite the lads around me, who incidentally had a combined IQ of less than my shoe size, abusing him at every touch. Dack ran the show at times and his goal was well taken.

All in all not a bad day.

Ward was very good?Bayes and Mark atkins where critical of him, especially in the first half 

Few things to be asked of Mowbray.

Why is there no designated penalty taker seemingly? Apparently when Mulgrew scored at Oxford Antonsson wanted that, and again today Conway wanted it, surely its unprofessional to not have an order in which the taker is picked?

Why has Mowbray been talking about the intensity in training this week if half of them have been struggling with illness? I get the mind games element but seems a bit stupid.

Why are we still conceding sloppy, unavoidable goals regularly? Our recent attacking upsurge has perhaps hid it recently.

How is Nyambe in the team week after week? 

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Ward was very good?Bayes and Mark atkins where critical of him, especially in the first half 

Very cool and composed on the ball, cleaned up most things at the back, we conceded 1, don't think it was his fault, he played well I thought.

He had a brief spat with a fan at the end who obviously called him something, then when confronted sh1t himself and wouldn't repeat it.

Cobbler here. We are obviously delighted with a point against a good side. That was one of our better performances with everyone battling hard and we even created some chances. I know we are a limited side at present and in desperate need of pace, width and firepower so points and performances like that are precious. You had chances too and on another day would have sunk us but we had some luck and our reserve keeper who we berated last week looked unbeatable, pity he faced a few coins at the end but then he didn't hide his pleasure from your lot prior to that. You made some good noise at times - proper football fans and songs, something we don't see at Sixfields very often. The home atmosphere was as good as it usually gets here. Hope those that travelled had a good day and enjoyed the limited facilities on offer at our little ground. See you at Ewood.

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

Very cool and composed on the ball, cleaned up most things at the back, we conceded 1, don't think it was his fault, he played well I thought.

He had a brief spat with a fan at the end who obviously called him something, then when confronted sh1t himself and wouldn't repeat it.

How did Danny Graham play?Did Tomlinson look good when he came on?

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

Thought Ward did alright too. That tool that told Ward he was Sh1t today, then backtracked and said "you have had better games Elliot" when he got challenged by him made me laugh. What a plank!!

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Yes, all my confidence drained away when I saw that line up. 

When I saw Conway, Whittingham and Antonnson all in midfield I thought " There's not a tackle in all three of those ". Problem is apart from Tomlinson we've no other choices. I thought a draw would be a good result.  That's before I knew Charlie was out. Must have been something in the Guiness. I'd ban all parties until we have something to party about ! 

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

How did Danny Graham play?Did Tomlinson look good when he came on?

The subs seemed to stifle us, we lost momentum. Tomlinson had very few options when he got the ball, but sprayed a couple of pinpoint passes, looked ok and Graham did what Graham does, ran his socks off for little reward. 

First match I've seen since Southend - and the performance was only marginally better against a poor team (esp their defence ). The team is carrying several players notably Nyambe, Whittingham and Antonnsson. Also Williams was bang average but Ward improved as the match went on and thankfully they had nobody with any pace. This cannot simply be written off as a blip, coming as it does after disjointed performances against Crewe and Charlton. Very worrying that Town dictated midfield for long periods as Whittingham seemed to think he was in a training session. At least Tomlinson showed some enthusiasm if not always much quality when he came on. On this showing this team is set for the play-offs not the top two. And Mowbray needs to find a penalty taker as Antonnssson's  effort was a weak joke.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I saw Conway, Whittingham and Antonnson all in midfield I thought " There's not a tackle in all three of those "  I thought a draw would be a good result.  That's before I knew Charlie was out. Must have been something in the Guiness. I'd ban all parties until we have something to party about ! 

Fully agree TS. This is a chance for us to return to Championship and if we are going to blow it due to a few going out on a bender its hardly fair on the support currently gathering momentum. If the party talk is true there needs to be some strong words not just coming from the top at Ewood but from the team itself.

We need to get automatic promotion.

3 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

One of the worst players I've seen play for us. Zero talent zero improvement after 50 games

Terrible player. Apart from being able to run fast in a straight line he offers nothing. Looks perpetually nervous and uncertain what to do in almost any situation. Caddis could surely not be worse.

17 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Fully agree TS. This is a chance for us to return to Championship and if we are going to blow it due to a few going out on a bender its hardly fair on the support currently gathering momentum. If the party talk is true there needs to be some strong words not just coming from the top at Ewood but from the team itself.

We need to get automatic promotion.

If they are still feeling the effects of the booze a week after the party then they are a bunch of lightweight nancys.Much more likely flu or a bug is going around. I see Rooney missed the Everton game today through flu.And at my workplace people have been off with it too 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Meh.

Really wanted us to keep the winning run going and have a crack at beating the Club record for consecutive wins in the upcoming home games. Not the end of the world though. Oldest cliche in the book if you miss penalties you dont deserve the win. 

Arguably shows we have a few key players like Raya Mulgrew Smallwood Dack Chapman (when fit) and beyond that not a great deal? God forbid we get an injury to Dack.

You've nailed it in that final sentence. The squad has too many players who are past it (Whittingham, Evans, Ward and Conway), others who are just not good enough (Nyambe, Hart and Galdwin) or too inexperienced to be relied on (Nuttall, Harper and Tomlinson). Anything close to this squad would disappear without trace in the Championship - and they've got to get there first.

24 minutes ago, Commondore said:

That's not a catastrophic penalty, obviously should have been placed closer to the post but it's low and hard enough to still force a good save out of their keeper. 

Any decent goalkeeper would have thrown his cap on that and stopped it. Telegraphed where he was going to put it and then a soft side foot at a perfectly savable height.  Terrible !

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Annoyingly I remember Conway at Brentford last season just smashing it and making it really hard to save, he should have been taking that as captain 

True , he missed an absolute sitter a couple of minutes before , so head may not have been right !!!

Just now, Waggy76 said:

True , he missed an absolute sitter a couple of minutes before , so head may not have been right !!!

It may not have been, but then again, he takes a good pen. Plus I backed him to score anytime. Bad decision as far as I'm concerned!

15 unbeaten I make it. Surely now's the time to sack the manager?

We all await the wisdom of the resident clown Suhail. Like a bullet in the head.

Archived