BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NAPM

Boaty

I would appreciate somebody starts a better thread but I think its worthy of discussion. Are people really boycotting or just can't be bothered watching league 1 football.

For what its worth I think there are about 100-200 genuine boycotters and the rest will return if/when we get back in the prem.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
54 minutes ago, Boaty said:

I would appreciate somebody starts a better thread but I think its worthy of discussion. Are people really boycotting or just can't be bothered watching league 1 football.

For what its worth I think there are about 100-200 genuine boycotters and the rest will return if/when we get back in the prem.

Mine and my Dad's choice to boycott is quite nuanced, as I'm sure it is for many people, but I'll try explaining:

My dad had a ST since 1956. He forgave the FA Cup Final ticket fiasco (as did my late Grandad). They both went to Rovers religiously in all that time. My dad took a year off Rovers after Grandad died.

Then came the Premier League years just after I was born. My dad took me to so many games as a kid and I frankly couldn't care less. Hated it. Boring (bear in mind I was 4 when we won the league).

Then came a guy called Dunn. And 2 others called Duff and Jansen. And Johnson. Then Tugay and Friedel. I was hooked from 2000 onwards, going with my dad to every game I could.

Then came Venky's. We made the decision to boycott when Kean was rewarded with a new contract, but it wasn't until our second championship season that we actually did. We missed it so went back again.

The stubborn refusal to sack Coyle, and the spending of our money before we gave it them (loan secured against future ST sales) was the last straw. Fast forward to now and we're dying to go again, but we're holding out til Venky's leave.

That's our JOINT decision, but my own view is this:

My dad has prostate cancer and probably 3 years to go. He doesn't want to give in to Venky's, and I'm supporting his stance by not going and instead involving myself with Rovers Trust.

Basically, my Dad, lifelong supporter (who only recently met his childhood hero Bryan Douglas and was like a giddy child all over again), who'd forgive the club anything, may never watch Rovers live again because of Venky's and I won't forgive that.

We won't go until they go. May get to an away game at some point if my Dad fancies it.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad's situation, @Mike E. Your situation is obviously unique, and I hope your dad can get back to Ewood soon.

For everyone who hasn't attended Ewood for some time, perhaps it's worth asking yourself if a line should be drawn under events, given the sensibilities and the team spirit that seems to surround the club now. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find something wrong with the running of the club since Mowbray took over. We are starting to feel like our old selves again.

Sorry, I posted this in the Charlton thread before I saw this one so here it is again:

For me it's mainly option b. ( can't forgive and forget )

I made the decision when Coyle was appointed. It proved to me they still didn't care and had learned no lessons at all. It still felt like there was something not right.

I nearly stopped going when we signed Myles Anderson - would Venky's employ someone at one of their factories in India and pay him massively to sit around doing nothing just because he was the son of one of their advisors?

They are either incompetent, just don't care or are using Rovers for their own reasons.  The way they run the club shows disdain for the fans and the town.

I know that withholding my season ticket money will make not a jot of difference but I feel that attendance at Ewood is somehow endorsing Venky's which I can't bring myself to do.

I am desperately missing going to Ewood and follow every kick on the radio. I go to as many away matches as possible. 

I may have painted myself into a corner but I can't go back until they have gone or they suddenly come clean, start communicating, offer apologies for past mistakes and get people who care on the board. Can't see it happening.

I'd love to be at Ewood  on Boxing day but won't be, sadly.

I'll get 2 season tickets when they are gone. Whether it's the Premier League or the 4th tier, I wouldn't care. We are were we are now because of corrupt ownership and that's why I won't go (while the people that caused it are still there). 

5 minutes ago, Al said:

What you do really concerns me, NOT.:D

You are reading and commenting on a NAPM thread!  It must be of some interest to you.

It's a discussion about why people feel the need to boycott.

Would you consider boycotting if you felt it was for the good of Blackburn Rovers ?

Yes but it isn't. The owners couldn't care less and it seems to me that the only losers are the boycotters themselves, if that truly is the reason they are not going and not just an excuse for apathy, and the club losing support and revenue. Nobody else gets hurt except perhaps, as Paul points out, the surrounding businesses. I don't agree with Paul on much but he is spot on there.

I’ll keep doing aways only for the simple reason that they cannot hide the drop in attendances. It’s there for all to see, clear as day, they have lost over 10k regular fans under their ownership. 

I get that not all of those 10k will be ‘boycotting’, but those 10k have disappeared under Venky’s ownership and aren’t showing any signs of coming back. I appreciate I may only be hurting myself doing that, but I feel the time and opportunity for ‘protesting’ has now passed and this is my last resort.

I’ll go back to home games when one of the three below happens:

1) There is a full and proper apology statement added to the Rovers website accepting that the current ownership has been dreadful and has disrespected the legacy them promised to protect, along with a promise of change. 

2) Venky’s sell the club

3) Venky’s put a strong board in place and provide all of the finance needed to return the club to a ‘midtable’ premier league club.*

*NOTE: To avoid “You’ll be back when we’re a premier league club then!”, I’ll return regardless of the league and season ticket price if option 1 or 2 happen. 

Just now, Garage Flower said:

Genuine question to boycotters. How many away games are you getting to? How can you have an opinion on players and a team that you don’t often watch? 

I have watched every single game this season in the league either on TV or in person. 

Additionally, I don’t think it’s merely coincidence our away support is currently so large and loud. The Darwen End at Home looks empty. There’s empty seats in BBE NO1 block. Without having anything to back it up with properly(!) I would suggest there’s many others doing ‘aways’. 

Just now, J*B said:

I have watched every single game this season in the league either on TV or in person. 

Additionally, I don’t think it’s merely coincidence our away support is currently so large and loud. The Darwen End at Home looks empty. There’s empty seats in BBE NO1 block. Without having anything to back it up with properly(!) I would suggest there’s many others doing ‘aways’. 

Yes but would you want to sit with a majority at Eŵood left? They've shown there colours rightly or wrongly.

Done 5 aways and whilst in Spain last week I've found that streaming service good value.

Boats was obviously trying a bit of shit stirring with this thread but has been hit with several passionate and reasoned responses from people explaining why a bit of on-field success won't bring them back.

Of course it isn't the majority of the lost 10,000 who are NAPM, and I imagine you will see a decent-ish crowd on Boxing Day. I know several people who have stopped going over the last 4 or 5 years because they don't enjoy the football. Some of those are going on Boxing Day because it's , well, Boxing Day .

However I also know several people that I know won't set a foot inside Ewood whilst Venkys  own the club. You can debate all you want about whether their view is sensible but the fact they are not attending purely because of Venkys, and not because of the level of football, is unquestionable.

Is that what the boycotters are doing, just going to the away games? I didn't realize that. Certainly would explain the monsterous away supports we have been getting. I haven't been to Ewood since 1996, from Scotland and now live in the states. I am as big a Rovers fan as I've ever been, the Ifollow is a godsend. I feel really sorry for the folks in that video. I have always been a fan from a far, but those guys are the real fans. I respect them for boycotting but what has happened has nothing to do with any of the staff and the management team, they are the ones that deserve the support.

If Venkys are losing money hand over fist which they obviously are, then your twenty quid every week will make no baring. Is that 20quid not worth the support to the players? If we get promoted which is looking a better bet by the day, then maybe we become a more attractive purchase for someone and finally get rid of he Venkys??  

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Mine and my Dad's choice to boycott is quite nuanced, as I'm sure it is for many people, but I'll try explaining:

My dad had a ST since 1956. He forgave the FA Cup Final ticket fiasco (as did my late Grandad). They both went to Rovers religiously in all that time. My dad took a year off Rovers after Grandad died.

Then came the Premier League years just after I was born. My dad took me to so many games as a kid and I frankly couldn't care less. Hated it. Boring (bear in mind I was 4 when we won the league).

Then came a guy called Dunn. And 2 others called Duff and Jansen. And Johnson. Then Tugay and Friedel. I was hooked from 2000 onwards, going with my dad to every game I could.

Then came Venky's. We made the decision to boycott when Kean was rewarded with a new contract, but it wasn't until our second championship season that we actually did. We missed it so went back again.

The stubborn refusal to sack Coyle, and the spending of our money before we gave it them (loan secured against future ST sales) was the last straw. Fast forward to now and we're dying to go again, but we're holding out til Venky's leave.

That's our JOINT decision, but my own view is this:

My dad has prostate cancer and probably 3 years to go. He doesn't want to give in to Venky's, and I'm supporting his stance by not going and instead involving myself with Rovers Trust.

Basically, my Dad, lifelong supporter (who only recently met his childhood hero Bryan Douglas and was like a giddy child all over again), who'd forgive the club anything, may never watch Rovers live again because of Venky's and I won't forgive that.

We won't go until they go. May get to an away game at some point if my Dad fancies it.

sorry to hear about your dad Mike. my thoughts are with you 

Can I asked what benefits do you see being part of the Rovers trust is? 

when Venkys leave? that's could still be years away sadly

1 hour ago, Al said:

The only people you boycotters are hurting is yourselves. Nobody else give a jot.

I agree Al. Its such a shame that what has happened to our great club and supporters are split. 

It is true that the FA, FL, PL and the media don't care about our club and what has happened to us. 

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad's situation, @Mike E. Your situation is obviously unique, and I hope your dad can get back to Ewood soon.

For everyone who hasn't attended Ewood for some time, perhaps it's worth asking yourself if a line should be drawn under events, given the sensibilities and the team spirit that seems to surround the club now. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find something wrong with the running of the club since Mowbray took over. We are starting to feel like our old selves again.

I am enjoying watching us this season and under Mowbray. a lot of fans have focus on the football and ignored our owners. I refused to forced away from watching my club at home or away and enjoying going to Ewood Park and also enjoyed watching the under 23's and under 18's when I get chance to do so

Mowbray is running the football side and doing a good job imo. 

28 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Won't be going back till they're gone. Do away days no problem so hardly depriving myself though I wish I would as its bloody poor football.

wish those still attending would be more selfless tbh

why do you want me to be more selfless? 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Phil T said:

Do any of the boycotters here respect that supporters still want to attend home matches?

I think by virtue of the fact that they don't create threads like this, yes.

33 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’ll keep doing aways only for the simple reason that they cannot hide the drop in attendances.

Is there anything this season (or since Mowbray took over) that has caused you to continue your NAPM stance?

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. sorry to hear about your dad Mike. my thoughts are with you 

2. Can I asked what benefits do you see being part of the Rovers trust is? 

3. when Venkys leave? that's could still be years away sadly

1. Thanks for the well wishes :)

2. The Trust's main aims are to get the club into safe hands (whether it involves fans on the board or not, but preferably so), and to preserve/regenerate the fan base without supporting Venky's.  Of course, there is no way we can kick Venky's out, but we're working on ways to help create a buzz about the club.

I'm reluctant to outline 3 main projects that spring to mind just yet as I don't want them to be hindered, but mhead (Chair of the Trust) may be willing to expand.

The Trust also retains its original purpose to act as a safety net in the event of administration.

Most importantly, Rovers Trust is not explicitly a protest group.

3. Personally (emphasis on my personal opinion, not of the Rovers Trust), I think it's constantly 'round the corner'. Several attempts from groups to purchase the club over Venky's tenure, and imo the only reason you get 2 accountancy firms in at once is to check whether the club would pass due diligence.

Imo, they want to sell and the move for a CEO and board structure is a step towards that.

Archived