BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NAPM

Boaty

Love the line if the owners don't go and support the team then why should I,

Six out of six certainly takes me away from a doubter to a need to go and watch these guys doing the business in the blue and white halfed shirt.

If results are sustained expect loads more to follow.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, JAL said:

Love the line if the owners don't go and support the team then why should I,

Six out of six certainly takes me away from a doubter to a need to go and watch these guys doing the business in the blue and white halfed shirt.

If result are sustained expect loads more to follow.

It's all a futile 'debate' JAL. There are a few that have decided that they will no longer attend because of Venkys, there are quite a lot that attend away games only 'because of Venkys' (my own view is that the real reason is because Rovers away is better craic than at home), there are those that have just dropped off in line with our dropping a couple of divisions which is only natural and those that continue to go both home and some away. 

It's a personal choice, whichever category but what really pees me off is the need for some to continually castigate others that don't hold a similar view to their own. We're all 'Rovers' at the end of the day just accept it that we don't all think alike.

Just now, darrenrover said:

It's all a futile 'debate' JAL. There are a few that have decided that they will no longer attend because of Venkys, there are quite a lot that attend away games only 'because of Venkys' (my own view is that the real reason is because Rovers away is better craic than at home), there are those that have just dropped off in line with our dropping a couple of divisions which is only natural and those that continue to go both home and some away. 

It's a personal choice, whichever category but what really pees me off is the need for some to continually castigate others that don't hold a similar view to their own. We're all 'Rovers' at the end of the day just accept it that we don't all think alike.

Agree entirely, but to be fair it does seem like that's a much more common view than it was even 18 months ago.

You can tell even by the aggro (or lack of it) on threads like this. It seems like a large majority of fans of all sides have basically accepted that almost none of this is our fault, and that a huge majority of fans are anti-Venkys to varying degrees (even if some are sceptical of viable alternatives).

Seems like most disagreement is fairly civil and on legitimate grounds (what's the point of protesting, etc.) and the days of people being called 'Venky lovers' for having a different view seems to be a thing of the past. 

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Seems like most disagreement is fairly civil and on legitimate grounds (what's the point of protesting, etc.) and the days of people being called 'Venky lovers' for having a different view seems to be a thing of the past. 

You mean like suggesting those still going should be “more selfless?”..!!

4 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

the days of people being called 'Venky lovers' for having a different view seems to be a thing of the past.

Perhaps because the poster who coined phrase hasn't been on here for some time.

On 17/12/2017 at 15:13, J*B said:

I’ll go back to home games when one of the three below happens:

3) Venky’s put a strong board in place and provide all of the finance needed to return the club to a ‘midtable’ premier league club.*

New CEO a step towards this? If we keep all our players and invest a few quid in January, how far away would you be? 

On 18/12/2017 at 00:22, jim mk2 said:

"Not liking going anymore" suggests a falling out of love, which is different from a boycott, which is a protest. 

Yes, hence the " " . I'm suggesting that tens of thousands of fans have fallen out of love with attending (like me). That won't change until the owners go and a real board's appointed to communicate with them (the supporters) again.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can only speak for myself but I'm not going back while the Chokers are there. I'll be 69 soon and not in great health so I've got to face the fact I may never set foot in Ewood again. 1

That's a real shame Tyrone. I hate them with a vengeance too but I won't let them poison my love for Rovers. 

6 hours ago, savage90 said:

Yes, hence the " " . I'm suggesting that tens of thousands of fans have fallen out of love with attending (like me). That won't change until the owners go and a real board's appointed to communicate with them (the supporters) again.

We're not talking any more therefore I'm leaving you. Sounds like a marriage. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

That's a real shame Tyrone. I hate them with a vengeance too but I won't let them poison my love for Rovers. 

The thing was Jim we'd got a point were it appeared that nobody at the Club really cared about what happened to Rovers. The " Directors ", the managers, the players etc. I got to thinking that if nobody else cared why should I. Indeed it seemed that the more I cared the less the people at the Club did. I got to the point were staying away was the only way I could stay relatively happy with my life.

It's only recently I've come to the conclusion that things are changing. I think the manager cares and some of the players care. That's a step in the right direction.

I go when I can but fully understand and admire those that choose not too. To walk away from something like your football club is a very hard decision to make and I'm sure 80% of those that have walked away have done so because they feel so strongly about what has happened over the past 7 years.

By no means should people who go be told to be more selfless, likewise anybody who doesn't go shouldn't have to constantly explain themselves. The real enemy is and always has been the Venkys and it's a crying shame to hear stories like Mike Es & Tyrone's where there are genuine fans that may never step foot in Ewood Park again. Meanwhile the crooks continue to run riot and we continue to pay the sacrifice.

It's for this reason that I don't understand why not everyone who is a Rovers fan is not at least subscribed to the Rovers Trust. Moreover why there are still supporters who continue to act in a way which demeans the RT. It is for all of our benefit, young and old supporters, that in the future we have some sort of fan involvement at board level. It begs belief that people still have to ask questions like "what benefits do you see of the Trust?" or that some of the twitterarti continue to disparage any move made by those fans whose lives are almost consumed by pushing for fan representation. It's there for us all and, frankly, if you don't like the way in which it operates you have ample chance to join, vote for a candidate which better represents you or indeed run yourself to lead a group that can have a hugely significant impact on the future of our club.

So whilst I can understand both sides of the argument I cannot for the life of me ever begin to understand the hugely selfish actions of those that aim to take any credibility away from the RT and its proposed actions without offering anything themselves.

• Backroom
21 hours ago, Biz said:

New CEO a step towards this? If we keep all our players and invest a few quid in January, how far away would you be? 

Personally, the CEO appointment alone is making me waver about attending on Boxing Day.

I don't know if it's positive or not, but it's certainly a position that needed filling and has been filled by an experienced football man.

I feel like I should reward positive steps taken with going. Has the double-advantage that I wouldn't be going against my dad's view as he's on a Christmas Cruise for a couple weeks.

Just now, Mike E said:

Personally, the CEO appointment alone is making me waver about attending on Boxing Day.

I don't know if it's positive or not, but it's certainly a position that needed filling and has been filled by an experienced football man.

I feel like I should reward positive steps taken with going. Has the double-advantage that I wouldn't be going against my dad's view as he's on a Christmas Cruise for a couple weeks.

Get on it! You can't beat a Boxing Day football match to look forward to.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I go when I can but fully understand and admire those that choose not too. To walk away from something like your football club is a very hard decision to make and I'm sure 80% of those that have walked away have done so because they feel so strongly about what has happened over the past 7 years.

By no means should people who go be told to be more selfless, likewise anybody who doesn't go shouldn't have to constantly explain themselves. The real enemy is and always has been the Venkys and it's a crying shame to hear stories like Mike Es & Tyrone's where there are genuine fans that may never step foot in Ewood Park again. Meanwhile the crooks continue to run riot and we continue to pay the sacrifice.

It's for this reason that I don't understand why not everyone who is a Rovers fan is not at least subscribed to the Rovers Trust. Moreover why there are still supporters who continue to act in a way which demeans the RT. It is for all of our benefit, young and old supporters, that in the future we have some sort of fan involvement at board level. It begs belief that people still have to ask questions like "what benefits do you see of the Trust?" or that some of the twitterarti continue to disparage any move made by those fans whose lives are almost consumed by pushing for fan representation. It's there for us all and, frankly, if you don't like the way in which it operates you have ample chance to join, vote for a candidate which better represents you or indeed run yourself to lead a group that can have a hugely significant impact on the future of our club.

So whilst I can understand both sides of the argument I cannot for the life of me ever begin to understand the hugely selfish actions of those that aim to take any credibility away from the RT and its proposed actions without offering anything themselves.

For a start, it was Rovers Trust members' questions which were mostly asked at the supporter consultation.

Rovers Trust were also the most vocal on the night, with good support from BRAG.

Rovers Trust are also the ones who have made such a big deal about having a correct board structure (more so since relegation in May), and I believe (MY opinion) that constant questioning of the club is partly why the CEO appointment has been made.

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Get yourself down! As Al said, nobody at the club is suffering by your decision, but you. I know it was more painful to go than avoid, even as recent as early 2017, but it is changing for the better.

People wanted a proper structure. This is a step in a better direction. I’m one of the first to be critical when poor decisions are made, but I’m not just going to perpetuate the abject negativity, especially when “hire an experienced CEO and give him a remit” has been one of my main requests for 7 years.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

People wanted a proper structure. This is a step in a better direction. I’m one of the first to be critical when poor decisions are made, but I’m not just going to perpetuate the abject negativity, especially when “hire an experienced CEO and give him a remit” has been one of my main requests for 7 years.

I might have wanted a GP, but I still wouldn't have wanted our surgery to appoint Harold Shipman LOL!

The Charlton and Coventry connections and trajectories during his tenures are a tad worrying....but let's see...

13 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I might have wanted a GP, but I still wouldn't have wanted our surgery to appoint Harold Shipman LOL!

The Charlton and Coventry connections and trajectories during his tenures are a tad worrying....but let's see...

I wouldn’t call working for two clubs with ownership problems akin to being a murderous doctor, but a point well made all the same.

The way I see it, it’s not just the questionable contacts, motives and rationale of someone coming from these clubs, you could argue the benefits of hiring anyone with experience of dealing with the nuances of a foreign ownership that’s disengaged fans.

For all the speculation and discussion on his employment, there is only one way to judge. We don’t rave about John Williams because of his previous CV, or his words in the press. We herald the bloke because of the period under his guidance.

Time will judge. As a starting point, some of us wanted an experienced CEO or director and now we’ve got one.

I don’t think it’s comparable to Shebby (global advisor) or Myers, communications director. I also don’t think it’s comparable to Senior, who was a DOF. The only two I can really compare are Shaw who was sued by the family... and “assistant, junior” Simon “no remit” Hunt.

I actually think Derek Shaw probably made the chances of more “devolved” powers at Ewood more unlikely with his contract bungling. Hopefully Waggott is not the same bungling, hands tied “face” of pointlessness.

7 hours ago, Biz said:

“hire an experienced CEO and give him a remit” has been one of my main requests for 7 years.

We have a Chief Executive. Whether his experience turns out to be adequate and whether he will be allowed to make decisions without having to phone India or ask Pasha remains to be seen.

History suggests he'll have to get Pune approval to buy paper clips and won't rock the boat.

Watch this space.

On 17/12/2017 at 15:45, Phil T said:

Do any of the boycotters here respect that supporters still want to attend home matches?

I believe most do but unfortunately the more vocal don’t as demonstrated by posts in this thread. Again confirming, for me, divisions are being further driven in to the support.

I take my son, who has SLD, and no comprehension of Venkys. I have no idea what he thinks. I won’t allow Venkys to take away his pleasure and I will only consider stopping if that’s his wish. He starts phoning me around 7.00am every Friday when Rovers are home to make sure I remember.  I acknowledge this means I don’t have to make the decision others do.

We sent his story to Venkys a few years ago explaining the joy Rovers give him. To try and show the damage they are doing. Even sent a photo with Tugay against Bournemouth. Mascot day. Obviously didn’t work!

Myself? I could have walked away after Barnet this season, we were awful. Pure emotion and anger. I thought about this during the Charlton game. If I had walked any boycott would have lasted just a couple of games. I watched the players after the Charlton game, great reaction. Despite all the crap it’s what football fans live for. I don’t think I can stop no matter how bad I might feel at any given moment.

I logically understand boycotting in some form, emotionally I don’t. Supporting your club is basically about, at best, decades of mediocrity and, if you’re lucky, a few years in the sun. Trouble is one never knows when those moments we all earn will come - the unexpected moment when despite it all something happens in a game and you realise it is still Blackburn Rovers and will be till the gates are locked at Ewood. The moment that hits you in the stomach. 

My eldest son stopped working weekends this autumn. I asked what he would like for Christmas? Half ST please. It’s 30 years since I first took him to sit in Nuttall Street and that his first thought is still Rovers brings me great joy. Once a Rover, always a Rover.

As I say emotionally I simply cannot comprehend boycotting and that’s what football comes down to. Emotion.

The Blues are going up.......and I’m going to be there. 

On 18/12/2017 at 11:17, Admiral Nelsen said:

On 18/12/2017 at 16:02, Phil T said:

Perhaps because the poster who coined phrase hasn't been on here for some time.

Spot on

after 38 years of a season ticket i stopped going 18 months ago

Hated the venkys for what they had done to the club, hated the dross football that was being played, but generally fell out of love of football - what was once the working mans game is now full of clubs run for money and have no interest whether supporters turn up or not

I said at the time, if i stopped i would most likely find something else to do and to be fair i think that is the case - so will i ever come back??

6 hours ago, Paul said:

I believe most do but unfortunately the more vocal don’t as demonstrated by posts in this thread. Again confirming, for me, divisions are being further driven in to the support.

I take my son, who has SLD, and no comprehension of Venkys. I have no idea what he thinks. I won’t allow Venkys to take away his pleasure and I will only consider stopping if that’s his wish. He starts phoning me around 7.00am every Friday when Rovers are home to make sure I remember.  I acknowledge this means I don’t have to make the decision others do.

We sent his story to Venkys a few years ago explaining the joy Rovers give him. To try and show the damage they are doing. Even sent a photo with Tugay against Bournemouth. Mascot day. Obviously didn’t work!

Myself? I could have walked away after Barnet this season, we were awful. Pure emotion and anger. I thought about this during the Charlton game. If I had walked any boycott would have lasted just a couple of games. I watched the players after the Charlton game, great reaction. Despite all the crap it’s what football fans live for. I don’t think I can stop no matter how bad I might feel at any given moment.

I logically understand boycotting in some form, emotionally I don’t. Supporting your club is basically about, at best, decades of mediocrity and, if you’re lucky, a few years in the sun. Trouble is one never knows when those moments we all earn will come - the unexpected moment when despite it all something happens in a game and you realise it is still Blackburn Rovers and will be till the gates are locked at Ewood. The moment that hits you in the stomach. 

My eldest son stopped working weekends this autumn. I asked what he would like for Christmas? Half ST please. It’s 30 years since I first took him to sit in Nuttall Street and that his first thought is still Rovers brings me great joy. Once a Rover, always a Rover.

As I say emotionally I simply cannot comprehend boycotting and that’s what football comes down to. Emotion.

The Blues are going up.......and I’m going to be there. 

Points well made.

The awfulness of this is that, once you drill down, it is well nigh impossible to find any difference in the level of Rovers passion  between the likes of yourself and any boycotter I have met over the last few years. I have made new friends of boycotters, for whom I have nothing but respect.

I try to remember where the blame really lies and it is not with others, who were just as devastated as me, but just had a different way of dealing with it.

I confess I am conflicted...that word again!

.I always knew my own boycotting was partly punishing myself, but I had to have the illusion( delusion) of exerting some control in the face of such arrogant abuse of our  club.

I never lost engagement with the club. I kicked every ball and more recently I have given myself permission to pick my games. Away games, of course, are brilliant and I can't see much benefit in missing out on the current run of home victories.

I am holding onto seeming contradictions..love Rovers/hate Venky's...want promotion/want Venky's out....enjoying the run...never forgetting how we arrived in this position... 

Hopefully in a few months, we will be celebrating promotion.... to that very same league status that rendered me and my kids so inconsolable after that Wigan game!

Archived