Pete1981

Venkys London Ltd accounts

Just now, davulsukur said:

What point are you actually trying to make with all these wind up posts?

Good question ! Actually I am not on a wind up but just gently trying to point out that it is simple to advocate sacking a manager - harder to come up with someone who would want to come to the club where there is a significant likelihood that they would do better - and harder still to imagine that the owners would identify them.

For the record I don't think that there looks to be much of a chance that Tony Mowbray will get the club in to promotion contention - but then I don't think he will take us down either. I'd rather hang on with him and hope that he gets lucky and that one or two of the younger players break through to give us a shot. I appreciate that is a minority view - at least on this message board.

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So did Paul Jewell at Wigan, Phil Brown at Hull and Aidy Boothroyd at Watford. Shall we give one of them a ring next time round?

and Owen Coyle for.....

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good question ! Actually I am not on a wind up but just gently trying to point out that it is simple to advocate sacking a manager - harder to come up with someone who would want to come to the club where there is a significant likelihood that they would do better - and harder still to imagine that the owners would identify them.

For the record I don't think that there looks to be much of a chance that Tony Mowbray will get the club in to promotion contention - but then I don't think he will take us down either. I'd rather hang on with him and hope that he gets lucky and that one or two of the younger players break through to give us a shot. I appreciate that is a minority view - at least on this message board.

Since the end of last season Swansea, Huddersfield, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Hull, Birmingham, West Brom, QPR, Millwall, Luton, Fulham, Reading, Derby and Forest have all changed manager. 

Almost all of those sides have improved or at worst stood still. Only really Middlesbrough gone backwards.

There are loads of good managers in the world that would love the chance to manage Rovers. 

This narrative that nobody would come here or there are no decent options out there is a complete cop out.

If it isnt working then you make a change. You don't stick with something that isnt working because you can't be bothered looking for a replacement.

People like Waggott are paid fortunes to supposedly run the club. He should have a list of options. If he doesn't then he isn't really a Chief Executive.

Apart from doting a few i's and crossing a few t's on official documents i doubt Waggot has much to do with the football side unless he's told or asked.  Venus doing players contracts ?  WTF is all that about, why do we need a Director of Football Operations that works UNDER the manager but over the CEO ?

Between them they've got the inside of the club stitched up now by the looks of it. I'm sure that it runs a bit better than it was but is it running in the right way .....

Edited by tomphil

Just now, JHRover said:

Since the end of last season Swansea, Huddersfield, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Hull, Birmingham, West Brom, QPR, Millwall, Luton, Fulham, Reading, Derby and Forest have all changed manager. 

Almost all of those sides have improved or at worst stood still. Only really Middlesbrough gone backwards.

There are loads of good managers in the world that would love the chance to manage Rovers. 

This narrative that nobody would come here or there are no decent options out there is a complete cop out.

If it isnt working then you make a change. You don't stick with something that isnt working because you can't be bothered looking for a replacement.

People like Waggott are paid fortunes to supposedly run the club. He should have a list of options. If he doesn't then he isn't really a Chief Executive.

Not sure that all those clubs you mention are doing as well as you suggest (Derby ?) but that is not quite the point. I think the difference between myself plus a few others on one hand and yourself and others on the other hand is that I try to focus on what I think "would" happen whereas you focus on what you think "should" happen(where you and I probably do not differ greatly). My belief is that "good managers" will always have a choice where they work and based on the get-out clause that Paul Lambert made sure he had before he joined us  unfortunately with the present owners we will be a long way back in the queue. Additionally the owners track record with appointments suggests that there is a significant likelihood of someone worse than Tony Mowbray.

I don't know how much Steve Waggott is paid - but whilst he might have the title of Chief Executive I doubt if he has the powers or authority usually invested in someone with that position.

Not sure that all those clubs you mention are doing as well as you suggest (Derby ?) but that is not quite the point. I think the difference between myself plus a few others on one hand and yourself and others on the other hand is that I try to focus on what I think "would" happen whereas you focus on what you think "should" happen(where you and I probably do not differ greatly). My belief is that "good managers" will always have a choice where they work and based on the get-out clause that Paul Lambert made sure he had before he joined us  unfortunately with the present owners we will be a long way back in the queue. Additionally the owners track record with appointments suggests that there is a significant likelihood of someone worse than Tony Mowbray.

I don't know how much Steve Waggott is paid - but whilst he might have the title of Chief Executive I doubt if he has the powers or authority usually invested in someone with that position.

So in a nutshell we do nothing, cross our fingers and hope things improve and we can limp our way to safety.

Meanwhile another £20 million loss comes along.

If we get relegated there may not be any coming back from that. I can't accept sitting back, doing nothing and hoping for the best.

Just now, JHRover said:

So in a nutshell we do nothing, cross our fingers and hope things improve and we can limp our way to safety.

If we get relegated there may not be any coming back from that. I can't accept sitting back, doing nothing and hoping for the best.

Yes that is what we do - as I said above I know it is a minority position.

Regarding the money it is owed to the owners and the debt is now so huge there is no realistic way of it being repaid from within the club's operations so it is their problem.

Aren't we all doing nothing really ? Posting on a message board is an amusing distraction once in a while but is not going to change anything.

Aren't we all doing nothing really ? Posting on a message board is an amusing distraction once in a while but is not going to change anything.

We aren't talking about what we should personally be doing, though, we're talking about what we feel the club should be doing in the current circumstances. Doing nothing in the face of clear decline and hoping for the best isn't what I'm looking for from the club's leadership, and I think it's fair to say that even if personally I can do very little to effect the ultimate outcome.

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tony Mowbray has already delivered Premier League football for West Brom

And he’s already said that he has changed his style from that season because it was too successful exciting attacking.

Mashed Potatoes

• Premier League
  •  
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Members
  •  
  • 148 posts
  1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes that is what we do - as I said above I know it is a minority position.

Regarding the money it is owed to the owners and the debt is now so huge there is no realistic way of it being repaid from within the club's operations so it is their problem.

Provoking, but a good point imo.

I think most Rovers fans feel more powerless than ever. There is no fight left in the fanbase-partly a result of being worn down by the events, since 2010.

This is a slow, lingering death.

If and when the Venky's do pull the plug, there will be even fewer people, who will be even more worn down. A deliberate strategy?