BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Sports subscription

Gav

I fell out with Sky sports many moons ago, and that stance was only reaffirmed when they gave Anderson and his stooges a platform to slag off the club and our supporters.

But recently I've been offered a deal I felt I couldn't refuse, so I signed back up on short term deal, what a crock of **** its become...

They've renamed the channels and put the same live sporting event across 2/3? The others are full of Sky repeats, Gary Neville (who I don't mind) and short films repeating the same cr'p over and over again and don't get me started in shocker Saturday. Merson still can't string 2 words together, champagne Charlie looks pissed, and the rest are just clueless, its only Stelling that keeps that show alive.

I'd often put Sky sports on in the background when nothing else was on, and maybe its the fact its irrelevant to us these days being in 3rd division, or more likely its god awful. But faced with washed up managers and ill informed ex-players that are picking the pay packet for filling up minutes on the channel, its embarrassing and getting switched off when the deal ends.

Does anyone actually like the coverage?

West Brom V Swansea! Palace v Bournemouth? Bet the nations gripped.....

Sky are good on PL and Championship coverage and I have to follow SSN on matchdays to get Rovers scores as they happen.

I prefer Sky for England Ashes cricket compared to the amateurs at BT.

Boycott is a goodun though, talks straight.

Whilst on about the Ashes I hope Santa takes a dump in Steve Smiths house.

I never get that ‘who wants to watch West Brom v Swansea?’ Etc.

Well for one thing as a relegation six pointer, I’d much rather watch that than Tottenham v Everton or whatever.

Also, if they don’t show those kind of games, should they just show the top 6 each week and forget everyone else?

I quite like the new format and like their coverage of all sports but particularly cricket.

With the new format they now have for example a dedicated cricket channel and as well as the live cricket I have enjoyed the documentaries on there.  They have done something similar with the football documentaries.  I have their Sky Q package and it has revolutionised the way I consume my TV.  The ability to watch almost anything in their archives whenever I want.  The Sky Box Sets and Cinema on demand content is impressive and as a I work in Manchester I can download programmes to my tablet and watch on the go.

I shall divorce my views on Sky, the PL and Murdoch from this comment!

We have never had Sky and I really do struggle to understand the value of a subscription while fully accepting everyone has different needs. I rarely sit down to watch a random football match and don't even watch MOTD. This reflects my football interest these days other than Rovers and my interest in other sport is limited. I have to confess when our next door neighbour got divorced she came round and said she was taking her ex off the Sky account and did we want to add our laptop!!! My wife uses this for tennis though she isn't sufficiently interested to want our own subscription.

Primarily we get our TV package as BBC, ITV etc. free, BT Sport £3.50, BT TV £10/month (mainly to access tennis), Netflix £8/month. Very occasionally, once a year perhaps, we will buy a day pass for a sports event. My wife gets in to some of the American series programmes from Netflix, I have to say I cannot see the attraction of American TV as it doesn't come close to the BBC offering. Where would you find a programme of the quality of The A Word for example?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I never get that ‘who wants to watch West Brom v Swansea?’ Etc.

Well for one thing as a relegation six pointer, I’d much rather watch that than Tottenham v Everton or whatever.

Also, if they don’t show those kind of games, should they just show the top 6 each week and forget everyone else?

It's about selling a subscription service, or giving it away in my case and whilst it's admirable that you rush home on Monday nights to watch West Brom v Swansea, most of the nation don't. 

I do agree with most of the above regarding cricket though, they do that very well, with a fraction of the experts on the payroll, mainly talking sense. But it's strange to create a cricket channel when the biggest event in the cricketing calendar has been bought by your main rivals? and if I see 'Masterclass with KP' on once more......Or 'Greatest cricket match ever' which is often some tight encounter from the sky archives that was forgotten 2 days after it was played.....

I bet Paul Clement is on in some capacity in the next 2wks telling us all how to manage a football club successfully. Its just a gravy train for failed and washed up ex-pros and I wont be paying for them once the give away expires.

Maybe a few years ago i would have! These days I'm more like Paul, I put MOTD on the other night for the first time in about three seasons, these 6 wins muct have re-awoken my love for the beautiful game...I really struggled to name the players.

You are right, it is all about subscriptions, so that is why Sky would love the top 6 to be able to sign their own deals, a la Barca/Real, though that can only make it even more uncompetitive.

However, REAL football fans, the likes of me and thee, not Joe Bloggs, armchair 'big Younited fan me'  from Guildford, would surely much rather watch a tense relegation scrap, than Man Utd having a routine home win against  Bournemouth? 

On the one hand, I'm convinced that Sky aim to eek £100 a month out of every household in Britain. Adding a Cricket channel will only give them license to justify a small fee increase next year.

On the other hand, it depends how important TV is to you. Many people get value out of it and have no problem spending money on it.

I'm slightly lucky in Croatia. For starters, it's not required to rent a landline here to get internet. In the UK, that would cut out £20 a month right there, and for something the I suspect the majority of us never use anyway. The TV package we have is about £20 per month, and includes high speed internet, 2 boxes to hook up to 2 TVs, and all of the Sky and BT footy slots. In short, that comes as standard with the basic TV package. It's amazing value, and I feel slightly guilty about it. Slightly. :P

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I shall divorce my views on Sky, the PL and Murdoch from this comment!

We have never had Sky and I really do struggle to understand the value of a subscription while fully accepting everyone has different needs. I rarely sit down to watch a random football match and don't even watch MOTD. This reflects my football interest these days other than Rovers and my interest in other sport is limited. I have to confess when our next door neighbour got divorced she came round and said she was taking her ex off the Sky account and did we want to add our laptop!!! My wife uses this for tennis though she isn't sufficiently interested to want our own subscription.

Primarily we get our TV package as BBC, ITV etc. free, BT Sport £3.50, BT TV £10/month (mainly to access tennis), Netflix £8/month. Very occasionally, once a year perhaps, we will buy a day pass for a sports event. My wife gets in to some of the American series programmes from Netflix, I have to say I cannot see the attraction of American TV as it doesn't come close to the BBC offering. Where would you find a programme of the quality of The A Word for example?

Me and my family are the complete opposite. 

We spent about 100 per month as each of us have different interests. Im football and cricket mad plus like my american tv shows. My missus like her soaps, american shows and films. My step son like american shows and step daughter kids shows and films. 

It is ridiculous, you need to have BT AND Sky now to have access to a good number of games. I don't know how much the packages are in the UK, but over here you would be looking at €100 or more per month to have both. 

Interestingly I have read that Facebook, Amazon and Netflix will bid on the premier league rights next time around. Hopefully that won't lead to more fragmentation. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42164708  

If all the games were on in the same place, I would pay a reasonable amount to watch them. 

11 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Millennium bug?

I hardly watch any Tv (don't have one but I mean online) besides Netflix/Amazon. I used to watch old wrestling shows quite often (by that I mean late 90's WWE not the World of Sport rubbish) but haven't really watched many of those recently. I haven't had much interest in consoles for a number of years so that would probably be my only real reason to get one. Could be a nuclear holocaust and someone will still be watching whatever is on BBC/ITV talk about stuck in the habit. Virtually everyone with a Tv has freeview at least now. I tried to watch Arsenal v Liverpool and lost interest after 2 mins (and even looking at the score I could care less) so Mattyblue's potential revival of interest may not quite extend to me. Black clouds take some lifting. I hardly ever get NOW Tv as my interest in football is so limited.

PhilT you don't need a landline for internet here either. Virgin Media and Sky supply fibre optic broadband think its only BT who extort landline installation and retain that archaic model. I don't have a smartphone but I'm certainly not stuck in the past with a landline when standard mobiles are available.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Me and my family are the complete opposite. 

We spent about 100 per month as each of us have different interests. Im football and cricket mad plus like my american tv shows. My missus like her soaps, american shows and films. My step son like american shows and step daughter kids shows and films. 

You need to ring up disconnections. You'll pretty much halve that price if you re-sign for 12/18 months.

Also I believe Sky and BT have recently done a deal, so hopefully it will include a sports pack that covers both. 

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Virgin Media and Sky supply fibre optic broadband think its only BT who extort landline installation and retain that archaic model.

Virgin are the only home broadband provider in the UK where you don't need to pay for phone line rental. You also have to live in an area where their fibre optic cables are laid (usually densely populated areas). I was never able to get it wherever I lived.

40 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Virgin are the only home broadband provider in the UK where you don't need to pay for phone line rental. You also have to live in an area where their fibre optic cables are laid (usually densely populated areas). I was never able to get it wherever I lived.

Its the service I've got. Cost me a poker game just now :rolleyes: forcing me to sit out a couple of hands but its not that bad really. 

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

I quite like the BeIn Sports coverage with Andy Gray and Richard Keys. I’ll regularly pick that over the sky coverage when they are both showing the same game.

I can't stand those 2 sleezy swines, I'll be avoiding that Chanel like the plague. 

• Backroom

Dumped it years ago and can't say I've missed Sky in the slightest. Not really at the house enough to make use of it to begin with, but even if I was I'd find better things to do. I get enough from MOTD & 5's football league show to keep me satisfied. Anything more reminds me of how vacuous and bland football has become.

Archived