BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS V Rochdale

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Bit of a dull game imo, but amazed at the silence from the crowd! Utterly silent even compared to last year. Never before have I been given odd looks for trying to start a chant in the BBE. We're a strange bunch.

Cheers venkys. 

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He is a hard worker and tidy enough,but I don't think he has it in him to "run a game" at this level or an occasional level. He doesn't run games. We have had plenty of players who didn't run games

I would prefer Whittingham with Smallwood

He should be running some games against League One opposition. Surely there’s no debating that given his pedigree vs. what he’s up against. He doesn’t seem as confident for me since the NI penalty incident. Regardless, he needs a change of scenery and I’m sure that a Chanpionship club would take him off our hands.

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He should be running some games against League One opposition. Surely there’s no debating that given his pedigree vs. what he’s up against. He doesn’t seem as confident for me since the NI penalty incident. Regardless, he needs a change of scenery and I’m sure that a Chanpionship club would take him off our hands.

Would Makelele have run games in league 1? He is not that type of player. I'm using makelele for effect,not saying Evans is that good before someone misunderstands by point 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can't have seen Whittingham play in the flesh to say that.  I was hoping he might run games when he was signed at first but my gut feeling even then was we'd signed a player were he'd got to that " season too far " point. Nothing I've seen so far leads me to change my mind there. Apart from a few nice touches the game passes him by. He's not very mobile and he plays far too deep in my opinion, only the Tugay's of this world can run a game from the centre circle. He's not a significant physical presence in a league were first and foremost you have to fight for the right to play your football.

Having said that Evans is completely off the boil and from what I read Tomlinson has still to reach the standard I was hoping he would reach.

So I "can't have see Whittingham play in the flesh" to say that he should be 1st choice to partner Smallwood,yet you go on to agree with me in your last paragraph :wacko:

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would Makelele have run games in league 1? He is not that type of player. I'm using makelele for effect,not saying Evans is that good before someone misunderstands by point 

I personally don’t see him as a Makelele destroyer type. The guy has shown that he can put his foot on the ball and pass it effectively, but each to their own. Either way, as I say he needs to leave.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Makalele probably could because he was a world class player.  That wasn't the role he played though. Having said that we need one of the centre mid field players to be more of a playmaker. If we need two defensive midfield players in this league we must be doing something wrong. The lack of an effective partner for Smallwood has been a sore point all season. Recently Smallwood hasn't been on his game, could be he's getting weary with doing most of it on his own. None of the alternatives have done much to own the shirt. What we must be paying Evans and Whittingham together would probably be enough to allow us to get a player who would dominate this league.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Bit of a dull game imo, but amazed at the silence from the crowd! Utterly silent even compared to last year. Never before have I been given odd looks for trying to start a chant in the BBE. We're a strange bunch.

The Boxing day games are never the best for atmosphere but it was very quiet and subdued at Ewood yesterday,the crowd only really got going with 10 minutes to go.

If you think the BBE was quiet you would probably be lynched in the JW for starting a song...."not the done thing to do in these exclusive seats my good man!" :rolleyes:

I just get the feeling that despite the upturn in fortune on the pitch most realise there is still so much wrong with the club when you scratch the surface...

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Only my fourth game this season, two at Ewood and two away. Couldn’t believe how few were in the home section of the Darwen End. Fifteen thousand on the old Ewood in the 70s or 80s and the atmosphere and noise would have been spot on. I’ve said this before but the Darwen Enders need to be right up against the fence next to the away fans to generate some much needed atmosphere. 

We have better players than most of the teams in this league. Mowbary has figured out that if we keep our shape and graft, one or more of the better players we have will fashion a goal or the opposition will make a mistake and we will win the game. Its not sexy football, but its effective at the minute.

I'll take playing poorly and winning every week for the remainder of the season.

We are still carrying too much deadwood, performances wont improve much until we clear them out.

Tomlinson had his worst performance to date, he's usually much better, he must have been one that was 'under the weather'.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would Makelele have run games in league 1?

This is a beaut. Yes! You're talking about one of the elite midfielders of his generation. You think Makelele would have just screened the defence and played 5 yard sideways passes?

12 minutes ago, bellamy11 said:

This is a beaut. Yes! You're talking about one of the elite midfielders of his generation. You think Makelele would have just screened the defence and played 5 yard sideways passes?

Congratulations on doing exactly what he said at the end of his post.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Only my fourth game this season, two at Ewood and two away. Couldn’t believe how few were in the home section of the Darwen End. Fifteen thousand on the old Ewood in the 70s or 80s and the atmosphere and noise would have been spot on. I’ve said this before but the Darwen Enders need to be right up against the fence next to the away fans to generate some much needed atmosphere. 

There is what, 500 in there? 

Why don’t they just decamp to the DE side of the JW lower (where they congregate when the away side get the whole end anyway), it always looks like they have a bit of craic with the opposition fans and create an atmosphere. 

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I just get the feeling that despite the upturn in fortune on the pitch most realise there is still so much wrong with the club when you scratch the surface...

You've hit the nail on the head there..

Despite the fact we have some garbage in the side we have some like Graham and Mulgrew who are head and shoulders above anything in the league.. Just keep grafting and we will get points as when we get the chances they'll be put away keep it up we won't be far away 

But it's the off the field issues I've had a few Coventry supporters messaging saying be very very wary of the whole Coventry link 

10 hours ago, Paul said:

I agree with you on this and Nuttall is certainly the more mobile player but then he’s at least 10 years younger than Graham and should be quicker. 

I would always but Graham in the team ahead of Nuttall and Samuel as he provides an outlet when the defence is under pressure. Ignoring goals this is the key attribute in a striker especially so in a team like Rovers. When we’re under pressure and need an outlet Graham is the man with all the tricks and experience to provide this. Nuttall runs around a lot and chases defenders but he doesn’t put them under pressure, he arrives late, and can’t hold the ball up. 

To move on from being a big, fast lad who can knock a few in fit the U23s he needs to add this to his game. Until then, for me, he’s a hopeful but nothing more.

Same applies to this Tomlinson lad, still has a lot to prove though he can’t be any worse than Evans. On balance it might be better to give the position to Tomlinson in the hope he grabs the opportunity. Evans has never performed for Rovers and yeasterday was an embarrassment to himself and the club. Truly awful. 

Nuttall seemed out of sorts yesterday. There was one occasion where he was played in against the last defender and I expected him to use his strength to get into the box but he instead took a tame shot from outside it. He didn’t look at the races and given he is now competing for a first team spot he should be more than up for this. Maybe Mowbray has explained to him that he is behind Graham and Samuel regardless. He certainly didn’t play with much enthusiasm. I hope that, like Tomlinson, he continues to get game time with the U23s to keep himself sharp and match fit. Otherwise it’s the worst of both worlds. Fewer minutes on the pitch and higher expectation when he comes on.

I also thought that Conway looked unhappy when he came on. Like he wasn’t part of the team but kind of bolted on to the side. The body language of both players was a concern.

Mulgrew meanwhile does seem to be enjoying his football. We need to get through the January window with this team intact and Harper and Chapman (unless he can get back to fitness) going back to their clubs as the only departures. Can’t believe we bought Gladwin and Hart. Maybe ‘loan with a view’ is the way forward with some of these players. Why bring in peripheral players that keep our own promising youngsters out of the side...

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Graham had more support than Nuttall did second half. 

Today performance was poor but we won. Thats all that matter. 

I dont think he did, Dack in the first half in particular i thought was below his usual standards. The 2 wide men created nothing for him either. He held it up as best he could, and showed much more desire and work rate than Nuttall. That said, we didnt create any chances really.

I dont think any of the strikers are making themselves undroppable, but Graham scored in the 2 cup games, and v Charlton, hes shown his work rate recently, unlike the other 2 at times, hes had a poor season but for me hes easily the best striker at the club.

It wasn't exactly an exciting, attacking display of festival football but we did enough to get the job done. Can't help but think our impressive spine of the team in Mulgrew, Smallwood and Dack is dragging us through a lot of the games and making up for a lot of limited play elsewhere throughout the side. 

I think I've said it before but at this level you don't need to be an especially super side or play brilliantly to win games. Key is to keep it tight at the back and defend well. Do that and teams will always likely make a mistake or two you can capitalise on going forward and as it proved again with the two errors that led to our goals yesterday. The central midfield besides Smallwood is still a worry for me, Evans wasn't the player he can be yesterday (never seems fully fit these days), Tomlinson had one of his poorer appearances from the bench, Whittingham hasn't stamped his name on that position and Harper is a young lad on loan.  We really need one of them to step-up or perhaps Mowbray will try Lenihan in midfield when he's back from injury. It feels a bit harsh to criticise with the team on such a good run of results but I think we all know we can play a lot better than we did yesterday. Plus there's still a worry if we lose one of the big players I mentioned we could start to struggle. Outside of Dack there's very little flair or creativity in the side and I would like us to sign another player to strengthen in this area in January.

15 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rovers aspiring to promotion at home to Rochdale relegation fodder.

I know the one about stats, stats and more dam lies.

How are these stats even possible, luck can be ridden only for a limited period.

2-0 is a comfortable win at first glance, but from an og and penalty?

I thought a word of caution needed in view of the oppo in next 2 games.

Screenshot_2017-12-27-07-47-39.png

looks like there is a theme formining it isn't how much you have the ball its what you do with it bury away was similar.

IMG_1861.PNG

• Backroom
4 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

I'll take playing poorly and winning every week for the remainder of the season.

We are still carrying too much deadwood, performances wont improve much until we clear them out.

Tomlinson had his worst performance to date, he's usually much better, he must have been one that was 'under the weather'.

If that's true about Tomlinson then I look forward to his next game. Like I said, he looked capable but just missed that aggression that's been described on here (and as I saw vs Wigan 2yrs back).

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well when 4 players are unwell and play. Show the team spirit Mowbray has built in the squad. Plus Mulgrew only just passed a fitness test and Samuel failed the fitness test. 

Only expect 3 signings in January. 

Let's hope it's three quality signings.

Midfield is a concern at the moment. Smallwood hasn't had a decent partner for a while. Evans was either recovering from illness and/or injury and looks to be not match fit. Tomlinson looked very slow; not the same lad I saw when he came on against Man Utd last season.

Someone said they would like to see Mulgrew in midfield when Lenihan is fit. I disagree. I think Lenihan should partner Smallwood because Downing is lost without his superb partner, Mulgrew.

What an improvement in Williams and Nyambe!  Nuttall looked very lazy when he should be fighting for his place. 

Incidentally, I noticed Alan Judge is back after his broken leg and 13 months lay-off; on the bench for Brentford.

Archived