BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS V Rochdale

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bazza said:

Midfield is a concern at the moment. Smallwood hasn't had a decent partner for a while. Evans was either recovering from illness and/or injury and looks to be not match fit. Tomlinson looked very slow; not the same lad I saw when he came on against Man Utd last season.

Someone said they would like to see Mulgrew in midfield when Lenihan is fit. I disagree. I think Lenihan should partner Smallwood because Downing is lost without his superb partner, Mulgrew.

What an improvement in Williams and Nyambe!  Nuttall looked very lazy when he should be fighting for his place. 

Incidentally, I noticed Alan Judge is back after his broken leg and 13 months lay-off; on the bench for Brentford.

That's a long lay off from a broken leg. Half the problem with injuries like that is in your head and not your leg.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he did, Dack in the first half in particular i thought was below his usual standards. The 2 wide men created nothing for him either. He held it up as best he could, and showed much more desire and work rate than Nuttall. That said, we didnt create any chances really.

I dont think any of the strikers are making themselves undroppable, but Graham scored in the 2 cup games, and v Charlton, hes shown his work rate recently, unlike the other 2 at times, hes had a poor season but for me hes easily the best striker at the club.

2 goals in 12 games is that good enough?

Nuttall is young and Samuel has been hit or miss but his pace is what we need in our side

Yes Graham had 3 players with him when Nuttall had no-one. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

2 goals in 12 games is that good enough?

Nuttall is young and Samuel has been hit or miss but his pace is what we need in our side

Yes Graham had 3 players with him when Nuttall had no-one. 

No its not but none of our strikers have been good enough, Samuel is more miss than hit and his pace is useless when he cant hold the ball up or cant be bothered, as he was v Charlton. Pace is no good with no brain, see feeney.

Graham didnt have 3 players, Antonsson and Bennett created nothing for him and Dack was not at his best in the first half. No one created anything for him.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

No its not but none of our strikers have been good enough, Samuel is more miss than hit and his pace is useless when he cant hold the ball up or cant be bothered, as he was v Charlton. Pace is no good with no brain, see feeney.

Graham didnt have 3 players, Antonsson and Bennett created nothing for him and Dack was not at his best in the first half. No one created anything for him.

But his pace is useful on the counter attack like Peterbrough away. 

Graham was support by Antonsson, Dack and Bennett. What did Graham do all game? Very little. Didnt press alot or hold the ball up. Did he ever try to win the ball back or chase the keeper down like Bennett did?

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But his pace is useful on the counter attack like Peterbrough away. 

Graham was support by Antonsson, Dack and Bennett. What did Graham do all game? Very little. Didnt press alot or hold the ball up. Did he ever try to win the ball back or chase the keeper down like Bennett did?

You say he was supported by them 3, but he wasnt. Maybe on the teamsheet that was the intention but they gave him nothing to work with. Play the ball to him and he will hold it up, he had nothing to work off. Antonsson was rightly hauled off and Bennett won the penalty very well but his creativity in open play was non existent. He worked hard, harder tham Nuttall as others have commented on, but Drogba in his prime would have struggled with the lack of support from the midfield.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You say he was supported by them 3, but he wasnt. Maybe on the teamsheet that was the intention but they gave him nothing to work with. Play the ball to him and he will hold it up, he had nothing to work off. Antonsson was rightly hauled off and Bennett won the penalty very well but his creativity in open play was non existent. He worked hard, harder tham Nuttall as others have commented on, but Drogba in his prime would have struggled with the lack of support from the midfield.

The final ball in the first half was shocking. Pretty much every cross was over or under hit from all four wide players. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not really. Graham did nothing. No work rate or holding the ball or closing the ball down. 

Bennett did close the ball and get us a penalty.

If you went to the game on Saturday chaddy why didn't you get behind the team by chanting/ singing ........do you know any Rovers songs.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats rubbish about Grahams work rate. Best not to continue we were clearly watching different games.

I was at the game and I can vouch that in the first half Danny Graham was nowhere to be seen really. The standard of his opposition is a joke compared to his wages and he should be working a lot harder to create space for others and make himself available for the ball behind the defence.  These cloggers love it in front of them. He's happy to do the easy things.

First game for a year. Live in London and HK but Rovers for life. Last tw football matches I saw were Spurs v Dortmund & Madrid at Wembley. But always Rovers. I thought us very flat in first half. But got the two goals. Much more movement when Tomlinson and Nuttal came on. Mulgrew is class. Dack a really good number 10. Mowbray has been excellent as manager. Need 3-4 signings to compete in Championship, esp with clubs the quality of say Bristol City there. 

9 hours ago, JAL said:

If you went to the game on Saturday chaddy why didn't you get behind the team by chanting/ singing ........do you know any Rovers songs.

Of course I went the game..i dont miss home games..

Where you there? Did you sing or stay at home in the armchair?

I know the songs thanks

After reflecting for a couple of days I think to be honest we could play two up top (say Graham and Nuttall) and drop Dack into central midfield. He's our most skillful player by a country mile, but also our physically strongest and I don't think having him in there makes us defensively weaker.

Essentially our tactics should be maximise the time Dack has the ball, and get players infront of him to benefit from the opportunities he creates.

10 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

After reflecting for a couple of days I think to be honest we could play two up top (say Graham and Nuttall) and drop Dack into central midfield. He's our most skillful player by a country mile, but also our physically strongest and I don't think having him in there makes us defensively weaker.

Essentially our tactics should be maximise the time Dack has the ball, and get players infront of him to benefit from the opportunities he creates.

Personally, especially now Lenihan is getting fit, I'd move Mulgrew into midfield and push Dack closer to Graham. Mulgrew is the one player who could see Dack's movement quicker. Quicker ball movement would help to make up for the team's general lack of pace.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I'm not sure I can see Dack playing in central midfield. He likes to run with the ball into danger areas not pass it there. He's not really a perceptive passer of the ball but more an instinctive passing player. Plus I don't see him doing much tackling in midfield, being honest we bought him to score goals not make tackles.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure I can see Dack playing in central midfield. He likes to run with the ball into danger areas not pass it there. He's not really a perceptive passer of the ball but more an instinctive passing player. Plus I don't see him doing much tackling in midfield, being honest we bought him to score goals not make tackles.

To be fair he does a lot of back tracking but playing him too deep will nulify him in the game like playing him on the wing does Mr. Mowbray.

8 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Personally, especially now Lenihan is getting fit, I'd move Mulgrew into midfield and push Dack closer to Graham. Mulgrew is the one player who could see Dack's movement quicker. Quicker ball movement would help to make up for the team's general lack of pace.

I would leave Mulgrew at centre back. His calm, steadying assurance is vital from that position and I think the other defenders are better because of this. I do think though that once Lenihan gets up to speed Mowbray will revert to his favoured three at the back system.

Just now, arbitro said:

I would leave Mulgrew at centre back. His calm, steadying assurance is vital from that position and I think the other defenders are better because of this. I do think though that once Lenihan gets up to speed Mowbray will revert to his favoured three at the back system.

If we had players capable of playing wing backs I'd agree but we haven't. Mulgrew in the Tugay role just in front of a back 4 would still allow him to exert his influence on the back four and allow other to do his running.

Archived