BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers L1 Game 24 - Ewood Park (30th December 2017)

Vinjay

• J*B pinned this topic
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers play SCUNTHROPE united at home. Here’s some Scunthorpe (or, Scunny, as they’re affectionally known) general knowledge to discuss in further detail:

Nicknames: The Iron

Founded: 1899

Ground: Glanford Park (capacity 9,088)

Current Position: 4th, 45 points

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

Be funny, not, if this arrogance is pinned up on the Scunthorpe dressing room.

Its not arrogance. My point is people are still too nice and treating the opposition with too much respect/equality. Limited mention (if any) in the programme and "visitors" on the scoreboard it builds a certain mentality/cult of personality around the club to aggressively and solely promote Blackburn Rovers. Don't you agree with me for once that the club should have a harder edge after the past few years rather than the attitude that kept snakes like Agnew in the background? I would do exactly the same against most clubs at PL level by the way unless it was a fixture of certain standing/historical value.

In this age of information overload we don't need a stat attack on the opposition either. We don't need "affectionate nicknames" either that's the attitude I'm talking about. Too nice.

I'm just trying to make a point and wasn't attempting to be heavy handed about it either. Why don't we debate that point? If you want to build a harder, nastier edge that will stand the club in better defence against sharks, etc in the future then you need to go ALL the way. Even with things that on the surface seem trivial. 

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

No stats on The Iron but here’s the match highlights from earlier in the season to get reacquainted 

Well would you Adam and believe it, I just found out their win at Blackpool was their first at Bloomfield Road for 17 years. Unbelievable stat! You can read all about it here:-

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/blackpool-2-scunthorpe-united-3-976738

Scunthorpe. Bloody Hell.

At least some people on twitter understand my point. Myers seemed too recently and mentioned how Everton didn't announce opposition goals in the 90's, etc or play them on the screen. That's someone who's been involved in communications and marketing. In all due respect accountants for instance aren't exactly portrayed as creative are they? Cheston certainly isn't.

Some of you probably wouldn't look twice if club put "Scunny" on the scoreboard.

Scunthorpe trivia

Super Atko joined us from Scunthorpe for a mere 45k , and the club made a profit on him of 999,955 k 7 years later

Scunny or The Iron as I affectionately call them were apparently the first English club to feature a sponsor on their shorts (2004/05 season)

also a misprint on their personalised calendars in 2011 left the letter S off their name.

For more fun Scunny fun facts LINK

Thumbs up Vinjay, think this idea of having lots of fun facts about opposing teams in the match thread is a brilliant idea , I am sure it will lull them into a false sense of security so Rovers can rip them apart on the pitch, and flush the rats and snakes out of Ewood

If it was a school report I’d summarise Rovers season as average, can/must do better to achieve good exam results.

Overall I think Mowbray has this team playing very safely in a manner which will beat the majority. It’s not very pretty or exciting but is pragmatic and I believe will win promotion outright. 

On Saturday we must beat one of the better sides in the division and this is going to need a big step up from both the manager and players. Mowbray needs to select an aggressive side sent out with clear instructions to defend from the front, 20 yards in their half and the players need to up their game considerably on yesterday’s. 

I feel very confident we can win but the players must perform for 90 minutes and avoid costly mistakes and/or getting sent off. I liken this match to Wigan away. At the JJB I thought we had absorbed and frustrated their pressure and had started to dominate a game I thought we would win. Then Bennett was unjustly dismissed and in seconds a poor referee had a big impact on our season.

Three very winnable and important games coming up in the next two weeks. Seven points has to be the minimum target as beating Scunthorpe and Shrewsbury won’t count for much if we fail at Rotherham.

Rovers 2 Scunthorpe 1 with the Ewood crowd very nervous for the last ten minutes plus five of stoppage time - I can see it now.

Taking Graham off yesterday was presumably in anticipation of needing him for 90 minutes against Scunthorpe. It might though be better to start with Nuttall and save Graham’s experience for the last 25-30 minutes when we will be under the cosh. With the game I’m expecting, a bright start from Rovers and taking a two goal lead to then be under pressure from Scunthorpe for the last 30, we have players to score goals but only one to provide an outlet and target for a pressured defence. 

Another tough game and a team who may well come and have a go but that might suit us so long as we don't go two behind early on. I've an odd feeling though we might come unstuck in this seeing as we haven't been playing well at all but have been fortunate to be against poor sides just recently. Also I predicted 6 points from the next 3 before Rochdale in the other thread so ....

Rovers 1   Scunthorpe 2

Before we bounce back at Rotherham !

I think we’re at a bit of a crossroads. It’s fine to win when you’re not playing well but it can’t last. We’ll either play better and keep winning or continue playing as we are and start losing. Scunny are a decent team in form so this game could be the pivotal one.    

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I do not have the exact figures but it is thought that Scunthorpe have failed more messageboard swear filter tests than any other English football team.

Clitheroe must come close

Archived