BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers L1 Game 24 - Ewood Park (30th December 2017)

Vinjay

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Good performance - what we've all been asking for. Shame it didn't turn up three points, and a couple of results didn't go our way, but a long way to go yet. Let's take that disappointment out on Rotherham on Tuesday.

Rather take it out on Rotherham on Monday Phil.

Not sure we can complain too much, at the start of our ‘run’ we stole a few wins we certainly didn’t deserve so we have as expected played a few that we deserved more from, being Northampton and today. I’d still like to see us play and control games better but still right in the mix for autos with hopefully a few new faces in the door come end of January. One gripe I do have is that we never seem to find late winners in tight games, something Wigan and shrews have done this season and we haven’t. On to Rotherham for another tough game but need 3

Fans need to keep this result in perspective. Obviously a win would have been great and made the league look really good,but we are still unbeaten and have really picked up in the league after a few wobbles. 

If we had have even drawn with Southend,Doncaster and Wimbledon we would be in the automatic places, let alone if we bet them,which I would expect us to do if we played them now. 

A solid January window and we will eventually get into the auto places. I would even bet we will be there before the end of January. 

Just now, davulsukur said:

Always disappointing to draw from a winning position. 

As usual, it’s the following result which makes this an ok result or a poor one.

A winning position twice. It's a tough one to take alright,but we are more than capable of getting a result next week v Rotherham. 

On a semi related note,how good is Dack? A shrewd bit of business. I just worry a little bit how heavily we are relying on him. 

Not bad really a draw against one of the more useful sides in the division playing with ten men. (And Bennett)

Quite enjoyed the game if not the result, we've played better than that and won. Too many passengers today though, Bennett (as usual) Whittingham and Antonsson. Dack puts in enough effort for two but he can't do it all on his own when several of his team mates are going through the motions and refusing to take any responsibility to try and make something happen.

Bizarre decision by Mowbray to bring Graham off who was on a rare going day and not the anonymous  Bennett or the willing but ineffective Antonsson when the obvious move imo was to go two up top with Graham and Samuel.

Decent winger in January a must imo.

Knew it wouldn't be easy today against probably the best side in the div outside of Wigan & Shrews and good sides nick their chances and try their luck and so it proved. On another day that's a 3 or 4 one win for Rovers if the chances are taken. Our football will always be stodgy and stuttery because we aren't a fluid team and don't set up that way.

Frustrating but an ok point and to me they did try and win it at 2-2 not decide to settle for a point with a large part of the game to go as we saw often in the past under other gaffers.

• Backroom

Once again Bennett's contribution on the ball can be questioned but his workrate is phenomenal, bet he won more tackles today than anyone else on the pitch. Just a shame he lost it often after winning it 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Not bad really a draw against one of the more useful sides in the division playing with ten men. (And Bennett)

Quite enjoyed the game if not the result, we've played better than that and won. Too many passengers today though, Bennett (as usual) Whittingham and Antonsson. Dack puts in enough effort for two but he can't do it all on his own when several of his team mates are going through the motions and refusing to take any responsibility to try and make something happen.

Bizarre decision by Mowbray to bring Graham off who was on a rare going day and not the anonymous  Bennett or the willing but ineffective Antonsson when the obvious move imo was to go two up top with Graham and Samuel.

Decent winger in January a must imo.

Hamstring tight on DG.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bizarre decision by Mowbray to bring Graham off who was on a rare going day and not the anonymous  Bennett or the willing but ineffective Antonsson

Bennett is certainly no world beater, but he’s anything but ‘anonymous’.

In fact you could switch those descriptions around for those two players.

Thought it was a decent performance today and should have had the 3 points.  No game changer on the bench cost us.  Other things of note

Antonsson is a waste of a  starting place. 

Think Nyambe is starting to improve and did well again today.  

We need a pacy winger...even Feeney may be some use at this level and something different up top.  Samuel blows hot and cold - to many 'not up for it' days for me.

A win in Monday and this result is ok.  Draw or lose and it's a bad one.

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

The angle was tight so Raya, anticipating the cross, tried. to cut it out but van Veen went for a shot.  What would have been a routine save was palmed into the net.  

I know I like Raya and so try to see the best,  but he was trying to be proactive and I like that. It was a mistake though and hopefully, he will learn from it.

Great effort from Bennett from distance but good save palms it away.

You should never get beaten on your near post, that's your territory as a goalkeeper. If the ball comes across you rely on your defenders to clear it.

I thought we played quite well. We certainly deserved to win but if you gift as many goals as we do then it's always going to be a struggle.

Dack and Nyambe I thought were outstanding. Dack is a cut above this league. I felt sorry for him at times, he was making runs all the time and finding pockets of space but nobody was good enough to give him the ball most of the time. If that is why we bought Whittingham then it's failed. I'm starting to develop an iraational hatred of him. He offers very little.

Bennett's work rate his phenomenal and deserves his place in the team for the amount of times he wins back possession when others have lost it. Williams played well but his final ball, like Bennett's, was often lacking.

Graham was excellent and we suffered when he went off. He has far more quality than Samuel. I think we may have been robbed at £500k for him. Hart is not a left midfielder. We lost the impetus when Antonsson and Graham went off.

We desperately need a left winger with a good left foot and pace. We rely far too much on Dack.

Morris started well and has obvious quality but a combination of Bennett and Smallwood snuffed him out of the game. I was surprised to see him so central. He pretty much played in Whittinghams position. I know who I'd rather have.

Special mention for the Scunny fans who to a man/woman joined in with the minutes applause before the game.

Disappointing but we didn't lose. We need to freshen up the squad in January in the attacking areas, and central midfield if possible.

good performance by Rovers and deserve all 3 points today. 

Graham was very good and I enjoyed his performance today, work hard, chase the ball, hold the ball and got 2 goals. Surprise when he went off but Mowbray said he went off with tight hamstring

Dack showed his class today with an assist and what I thought was the winner until it hit the post.

Smallwood and Whittingham both played very well and thought it was Whittingham best game in a Rovers shirt.

very disappointed by the 2 goals we conceded. Thought Mulgrew was slow for the 1st goal and Raya weak at his near post and Bennett miss kick for 2nd goal plus I felt we didn't close the ball enough. 

But we played much better than recent performances have been. 

We've had a fantastic return from our last 3 games to say illness has been running wild through the camp.

We remain unbeaten in 13, 3rd in the division, and more than set for promotion in 2018.

Onwards and upwards.

Venkys Out (Sorry couldn't help it)

Very dissapointing result but a good performance, some good passing in between the lines and good chances missed, but 2 stupid mistakes made.

Find some of the criticism of Whittingham astounding, for me behind Graham he was our best player and I get the feeling he will never win over the fans if that isnt considered a good performance, he gave it away once or twice but his passing was accurate in the main and picked out a few top quality passes. Him, Smallwood and Dack controlled the midfield.

Graham was brilliant, not only his goals but his hold up was almost immaculate and we missed him when he went off. Obviously championed him alot lately ive seen today in glimpses so glad hes got his 2 goals and showed he is a class above.

Nyambe was again impressive I must say, Dack should have had a goal but the way he backs in and takes it in tight spaces is brilliant.

Mulgrew sets the tone, excellent captain, Downing made one good tackle but felt he was a bit all over the place again today, Williams in particular in the first half was poor, and Raya again made a costly mistake, needs to cut them out. And Antonsson again didnt offer anything bar obviously the good knock down for the second.

Bennetts mistake was horrendous and his pass on the counter attac likewise but hes a battler and offers alot more than Antonsson. Need a winger badly.

Really weak bench and I worry about the Rotherham game.

• Backroom

Quick stat attack for the top 4 as we go into January, for anybody interested in such things. Averages over ten games for various stats.

Wigan

Average goals scored: 2.3
Average goals conceded: 0.4
Average shots: 13.5
Average shots against: 6.4
Average shots on target: 5.6
Average shots on target against: 1
Average possession: 55.1
Average opponent's possession: 44.9

Shrewsbury

Average goals scored: 0.9
Average goals conceded: 0.6
Average shots: 8.6
Average shots against: 9.3
Average shots on target: 3.1 
Average shots on target against: 3.3
Average possession: 50
Average opponent's possession: 50

Rovers

Average goals scored: 2.5
Average goals conceded: 1.2
Average shots: 12.1
Average shots against: 9.8
Average shots on target: 5.1
Average shots on target against: 4.1
Average possession: 52
Average opponent's possession: 48

Scunthorpe

Average goals scored: 2
Average goals conceded: 1
Average shots: 8.9
Average shots against: 15.9
Average shots on target: 4.4
Average shots on target against: 5.8
Average possession: 47.8
Average opponent's possession: 52.2

As far as Rovers are concerned, on average we've scored the most out of anybody in the top four in the last ten games, including Wigan. However, we also concede the most on average out of those same teams. Wigan and Shrewsbury in particular concede significantly less than us, but Shrewsbury also score significantly less than us so it balances out somewhat. 

Perhaps unsurprisingly we have more shots in an average game than Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury, only bested by Wigan. Exactly the same for shots on target, on average we're second just behind Wigan.

As far as teams having shots against us, we're third behind Wigan and Shrewsbury. Scunthorpe are some way ahead of everybody else, on average over the last ten games giving teams 16 shots against them! It's a similar story in terms of teams getting shots on target against us, we're behind Wigan and Shrewsbury but pretty far ahead of Scunthorpe. Wigan in particular are very impressive on this stat, only allowing a team on average over the past ten games of a single shot on target against them. In comparison we allow them roughly 4.

Finally in terms of possession, we generally have more possession in a match than Shrewsbury or Scunthorpe, but Wigan have the most of the top four. As far as allowing teams possession, as expected it's the same order. 

Overall, despite Scunthorpe's recent good form the stats suggest they probably won't last the pace. In the last ten games they've let their opponents have more shots, more shots on target and more possession. If they stop scoring they will quickly drop, but as we saw today they've been taking their chances well recently.

Wigan are statistically dominant and definitely deserve to be top, and despite two 0-0 results in the past two matches you'd expect them to last the pace if they keep this form going.

Shrewsbury's main plus is their defence. Just 0.6 goals conceded on average in the last ten games is impressive, we're double that. Their big problem is that on average they're just below a goal a game, whereas we're at 2.5 so if that continues we would overtake them in due course even if our defensive frailties aren't addressed. Shrewsbury are also allowing their opponents more shots in general and on target, which should be a concern.

Rovers meanwhile are goalscorers, and we generally create more chances than our opponents, also edging possession on average over the last ten games. If we can address our goals against column then we should finish second without too much trouble. For all this talk of pacy wingers and strikers, it seems like defence is where we should focus our energies in January.

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Quick stat attack for the top 4 as we go into January, for anybody interested in such things. Averages over ten games for various stats.

Wigan

Average goals scored: 2.3
Average goals conceded: 0.4
Average shots: 13.5
Average shots against: 6.4
Average shots on target: 5.6
Average shots on target against: 1
Average possession: 55.1
Average opponent's possession: 44.9

Shrewsbury

Average goals scored: 0.9
Average goals conceded: 0.6
Average shots: 8.6
Average shots against: 9.3
Average shots on target: 3.1 
Average shots on target against: 3.3
Average possession: 50
Average opponent's possession: 50

Rovers

Average goals scored: 2.5
Average goals conceded: 1.2
Average shots: 12.1
Average shots against: 9.8
Average shots on target: 5.1
Average shots on target against: 4.1
Average possession: 52
Average opponent's possession: 48

Scunthorpe

Average goals scored: 2
Average goals conceded: 1
Average shots: 8.9
Average shots against: 15.9
Average shots on target: 4.4
Average shots on target against: 5.8
Average possession: 47.8
Average opponent's possession: 52.2

As far as Rovers are concerned, on average we've scored the most out of anybody in the top four in the last ten games, including Wigan. However, we also concede the most on average out of those same teams. Wigan and Shrewsbury in particular concede significantly less than us, but Shrewsbury also score significantly less than us so it balances out somewhat. 

Perhaps unsurprisingly we have more shots in an average game than Scunthorpe or Shrewsbury, only bested by Wigan. Exactly the same for shots on target, on average we're second just behind Wigan.

As far as teams having shots against us, we're third behind Wigan and Shrewsbury. Scunthorpe are some way ahead of everybody else, on average over the last ten games giving teams 16 shots against them! It's a similar story in terms of teams getting shots on target against us, we're behind Wigan and Shrewsbury but pretty far ahead of Scunthorpe. Wigan in particular are very impressive on this stat, only allowing a team on average over the past ten games of a single shot on target against them. In comparison we allow them roughly 4.

Finally in terms of possession, we generally have more possession in a match than Shrewsbury or Scunthorpe, but Wigan have the most of the top four. As far as allowing teams possession, as expected it's the same order. 

Overall, despite Scunthorpe's recent good form the stats suggest they probably won't last the pace. In the last ten games they've let their opponents have more shots, more shots on target and more possession. If they stop scoring they will quickly drop, but as we saw today they've been taking their chances well recently.

Wigan are statistically dominant and definitely deserve to be top, and despite two 0-0 results in the past two matches you'd expect them to last the pace if they keep this form going.

Shrewsbury's main plus is their defence. Just 0.6 goals conceded on average in the last ten games is impressive, we're double that. Their big problem is that on average they're just below a goal a game, whereas we're at 2.5 so if that continues we would overtake them in due course even if our defensive frailties aren't addressed. Shrewsbury are also allowing their opponents more shots in general and on target, which should be a concern.

Rovers meanwhile are goalscorers, and we generally create more chances than our opponents, also edging possession on average over the last ten games. If we can address our goals against column then we should finish second without too much trouble. For all this talk of pacy wingers and strikers, it seems like defence is where we should focus our energies in January.

Good post. The problem with our defence is that it's not teams slicing us open, it's silly mistakes. Raya made the cardinal sin of anticipating a cross today and leaving a gaping hole at his near post. Bennett just teed there lad up fro the second. At Northampton it was a corner that did us. I'm not sure what the answer is but it seems every time we make a mistake we get punished at the moment.

• Backroom
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Good post. The problem with our defence is that it's not teams slicing us open, it's silly mistakes. Raya made the cardinal sin of anticipating a cross today and leaving a gaping hole at his near post. Bennett just teed there lad up fro the second. At Northampton it was a corner that did us. I'm not sure what the answer is but it seems every time we make a mistake we get punished at the moment.

Even though we do let teams have more shots against us than Shrewsbury, it's by a marginal amount, yet we concede double the goals they do. So yeah, it points to errors from our defenders being punished. Wigan are setting a really high standard defensively though, whilst keeping their goals scored column at a decent level too. Perhaps we need to have a look at what they're doing, as man-for-man I don't think our team is that much worse than theirs.

Archived