BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Will we keep Mulgrew and Dack? 

Are Antonsson and Downing worth spending money on now?

Will we get the winger we all crave?

Is a partner for Smallwood on the cards?

You guessed it. It’s the transfer thread. Any links/transfer discussion in here please! Pinned till 1st Feb. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 2nd Pilkington!  He is a Rovers fan... not sure if he make a step down.  However he is not getting much game time.  Lets hope TM makes the push and signs up Downing on a permanent deal.

Evans, Ward, Lenihan for me could be out the door.  Especially Evans & Lenihan, as they could actually generate the funds Mowbray might need.

Yousuff Mulumbu was released by Norwich and picked up by Kilmarnock, I've seen all over Twitter Kilmarnock fans in disbelief they picked him up after he ran the show for them against Rangers. Numerous Rangers and Celtic fans saying he'd get into there teams. Think he's the type you'd want alongside Smallwood, Premier league regular only a couple of years ago. I'm not saying he would be a realistic signing but I'm just throwing it out there. He can't be on that much of a wage if he's at Kilmarnock surely! Don't think the winger spot will be as much of an issue once Chapman is back, but if we were to go for one I'd take Jon Taylor all day. 

6 hours ago, J*B said:

Will we keep Mulgrew and Dack? We better do

Are Antonsson and Downing worth spending money on now? Not sure Downing would really cost a fee? Antonsson is not worth a fee but for free perhaps.

Will we get the winger we all crave? Hope so

Is a partner for Smallwood on the cards? Hope so

You guessed it. It’s the transfer thread. Any links/transfer discussion in here please! Pinned till 1st Feb. 

3 hours ago, Butty said:

Yousuff Mulumbu was released by Norwich and picked up by Kilmarnock, I've seen all over Twitter Kilmarnock fans in disbelief they picked him up after he ran the show for them against Rangers. Numerous Rangers and Celtic fans saying he'd get into there teams. Think he's the type you'd want alongside Smallwood, Premier league regular only a couple of years ago. I'm not saying he would be a realistic signing but I'm just throwing it out there. He can't be on that much of a wage if he's at Kilmarnock surely! Don't think the winger spot will be as much of an issue once Chapman is back, but if we were to go for one I'd take Jon Taylor all day. 

Mulumbu - good player but is 31 in January and tied to Kilmarnock until next season when he is 32. Only went to Kilmarnock because the manager is Steve Clarke who he played for at WBA. Strange that he was not considered in the summer really as a free transfer.

Chapman is quality but i think he is going to be one of those players that is always hampered by injury. This particular injury is a bad one and I do not think he will feature much this season now.

Taylor is a good shout but would command a fee as he has two more years on his contract. TM said we had some money left from the summer so depending on how much id go for him. Good age, has championship experience.

Marcus Maddison would be another i would look at if we had money to pay a fee.

I'd look at Devante Cole (Andy Coles son) out of contract at the end of the season and looks good. 

Bring in another CB. 

Look at getting a new CM.

Sign Chapman on a pre contract.

A creative LM and sell Conway. 

Then another creative wing/attacking midfield type to compete with Dack. (Or Costello could step up)

I'd send Harper back, he's getting in  way of our academy. 

Look to sell Graham.

Sell Ward.

Sell Feeney.

Sell Caddis (Travis is much better) 

Sell Whittingham (promote Tomlinson fully) 

Then tie down Nuttall to a longer term contract (think it expires end of this season)

I'd be looking to bring in a winger with pace, and see who' s available with some creativity.

Don't think we need any wholesale changes, rather try and keep our better players at the club.

U

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Tunnicliffe

Shane Ferguson

Pilkington 

Loan move for Ashley Fletcher 

Isnt Tunnicliffe playing and starting for Millwall..

6 hours ago, @roverseas said:

I 2nd Pilkington!  He is a Rovers fan... not sure if he make a step down.  However he is not getting much game time.  Lets hope TM makes the push and signs up Downing on a permanent deal.

Evans, Ward, Lenihan for me could be out the door.  Especially Evans & Lenihan, as they could actually generate the funds Mowbray might need.

I would sign Downing permanent. 

Evans and Ward..sell. 

Send Harper back.

Maybe Sign Jack Marriot from Peterbrough. 

Pilkington is a good shout. Maybe Josh Morris.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Mulumbu - good player but is 31 in January and tied to Kilmarnock until next season when he is 32. Only went to Kilmarnock because the manager is Steve Clarke who he played for at WBA. Strange that he was not considered in the summer really as a free transfer.

Chapman is quality but i think he is going to be one of those players that is always hampered by injury. This particular injury is a bad one and I do not think he will feature much this season now.

Taylor is a good shout but would command a fee as he has two more years on his contract. TM said we had some money left from the summer so depending on how much id go for him. Good age, has championship experience.

Marcus Maddison would be another i would look at if we had money to pay a fee.

I agree with you about Chapman. If he regains the pace and form he was showing before the injury he will be doing very well. It certainly won't come right away. I'd be looking for a replacement to be honest, if only another loan player, and I certainly wouldn't be looking to sign him before I'd seen him play again. For a guy who relies on pure pace that's not a good injury to get.

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

U

Isnt Tunnicliffe playing and starting for Millwall..

I would sign Downing permanent. 

Evans and Ward..sell. 

Send Harper back.

Maybe Sign Jack Marriot from Peterbrough. 

Pilkington is a good shout. Maybe Josh Morris.

I personally would try and take over Downing's contract rather than sign him. Think he'll struggle if we go up. 

If someone comes in for Evans or Ward then yes let them go. Evans I think needs a fresh start where Ward has become a scape goat here.

Agree about Harper.

Wary about signing ex-players although signing Morris would probably hurt Sconthorpe as much as adding something to Rovers. I can't see them doing that business unless they are skint.

Not seen enough of Marriot

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Tunnicliffe

Shane Ferguson

Pilkington 

Loan move for Ashley Fletcher 

We need pace in the wide areas, Pilkington is getting on and our budget will be limited is rather it went on a younger pacey type.

Although Tunnicliffe is better than Evans he still isn't very good wouldn't be happy if we brought him personally. 

Ferguson isn't a bad shout and is be happy with Fletcher but I doubt very much he would consider dropping to league one even in a loan deal

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'd look at Devante Cole (Andy Coles son) out of contract at the end of the season and looks good. 

Bring in another CB. 

Look at getting a new CM.

Sign Chapman on a pre contract.

A creative LM and sell Conway. 

Then another creative wing/attacking midfield type to compete with Dack. (Or Costello could step up)

I'd send Harper back, he's getting in  way of our academy. 

Look to sell Graham.

Sell Ward.

Sell Feeney.

Sell Caddis (Travis is much better) 

Sell Whittingham (promote Tomlinson fully) 

Then tie down Nuttall to a longer term contract (think it expires end of this season)

What a list. Sell Whittingham, Conway and Graham :D Man, this isn't football manager. Why would you want to sell 3 of our most experienced players at this point in the season?? 

Pacey winger, central midfielder and a target man CF for me - in that order. 

I think we’ll be alright at the back with Lenihan coming back, while I’m sure TM will think we’re okay for a RB with Nyambe, Caddis and Travis on the books. We’d no doubt need to move a couple on to bring the above in, so I’d look to move on Evans and perhaps Graham, despite a few decent cameos from the latter.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What a list. Sell Whittingham, Conway and Graham :D Man, this isn't football manager. Why would you want to sell 3 of our most experienced players at this point in the season?? 

He talks like an agent looking to get the wheels moving for plenty of the old %%%  :lol::lol:

A couple of goods loans in might actually be enough for once this window !

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All 3 of those next season won't be good enough for the championship. So it's actually clever business in the long run, if we don't go up we have failed as a club and we can definitely get promoted without them. Whittingham adds nothing. Graham's legs are gone as are Conway's. Experience only goes so far. 

44 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

All 3 of those next season won't be good enough for the championship. So it's actually clever business in the long run, if we don't go up we have failed as a club and we can definitely get promoted without them. Whittingham adds nothing. Graham's legs are gone as are Conway's. Experience only goes so far. 

It is clever to sell Whittingham, Graham and Conway now, while we are third in League 1, because they won't be good enough for the Championship? No ,it would actually be extremely stupid. It would be clever to sell them once promoted. Did you not think of that or are you on the egg nog early? 

48 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I like you optimism though, or maybe its the egg nog again :)

I don't think too many personnel changes at this stage of the season would be very helpful at all. I agree about the likes of Evans etc not being good enough but I'd keep them until the summer.

A striker is a must, we don't really have a potent striker at the moment. A pacy winger would be nice, but is not essential as Chapman will be back fairly soon hopefully. I'd send Harper back, he's not getting a look in. I think Lenihan will come into cm when he's back, I can't see him dislodging Downing in defence.  A striker and a pacy winger would be enough for this window. We're going very nicely so no need for major changes. 

Of the loan players, I'd certainly be looking to sign Chapman and Downing on a permanent basis. Chapman is one of the most exciting players we've had for a long time. I'm a huge fan of Downing, I think he's an excellent defender. No idea how he was in MK Dons reserves, he could even make the step up a division I think. 

Antonson I wouldn't want us to buy, half decent at this level, however if we manage promotion, isn't good enough for Championship. Downing may be worth signing permanent, however again, if we achieve promotion, we still have Mulgrew, Lenihan and Wharton, therefore would only look to sign permanently if on the cheap.

Chapman, out of contract at end of season, if we can pull off some sort of deal to get him on a permanent would be delighted.

In terms of other incoming's, George Cooper from Crewe, played well against us, only 21, top assists in League 2 even though he's playing for a struggling Crewe side, would be fairly cheap I would imagine being in that division and at Crewe. Young talented player which is what we should be signing.

Harry Anderson another good option from League 2, 5 goals and same assists from right midfield, very pacey and creative.

Marcus Maddison one of the obvious one's very good player, 13 assists and 5 goals this season, may be a little to expensive depends how much money we have, play out wide or central midfield.

We need new full backs also, however that can probably wait until we know if we will be in league 1 or the championship. Furlong on loan from QPR maybe, good player in this division last season whilst on loan at Swindon.

Jack Payne I mentioned earlier on in season, but on loan until end of season at Oxford, Huddersfield have option to recall in January, but doubt they would recall him just to send him on loan to another league 1 club.

Archived