BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Have it on good authority that the two players are Downing & Chapman, if its correct i'm happy that we're looking at tieing them down, but also a bit disapointed as i thought we would be after a couple of players  who could come in and help the current bunch we have now.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Have it on good authority that the two players are Downing & Chapman, if its correct i'm happy that we're looking at tieing them down, but also a bit disapointed as i thought we would be after a couple of players  who could come in and help the current bunch we have now.

I'd be disappointed if that turns out to be true. We need reinforcements ASAP , they don't fit that bill.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Bit of risk regarding CHapman but one I would probably take. Downing, would he be good enough for the championship? Still, would be another low cost gamble i guess. I do hope we have further plans than this and have others on the radar that can come in and bring competition for places. THat is was TM himself said recently.

Just now, Garage Flower said:

Can’t pretend I’m not a little disappointed they aren’t new players. We already have them both for the season as it is. 

Id be delighted if we could secure those two per se but the problem is Chapman may not be fit until very near the end of tbe season.

We need a pacy winger and cover for Dack now, ideally.

Chapman and Downing would be excellent signings to start the window. Another couple after them and we would really be setting our stall out as meaning  serious business. 

Those complaining that the bids are for Chapman and Downing are the same moaners who would be on here running their mouths if it got to next summer and someone else had signed them. 

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

Can’t pretend I’m not a little disappointed they aren’t new players. We already have them both for the season as it is. 

Had to read that triple negative several times!

• Backroom

Chapman I would be happy about but Downing would be a bit of a waste of cash, can't see he'll be in huge demand in summer and we could agree a deal with him for when his contract expires in summer. 

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

Chapman I would be happy about but Downing would be a bit of a waste of cash, can't see he'll be in huge demand in summer and we could agree a deal with him for when his contract expires in summer. 

I'd be happy to have these players sorted out now - less work in the summer and any fee will be offset by them getting loyalty payment from their current club (meaning a lower signing on fee/wages)

Both good enough for championship squad imo

Lenihan coming back will be as good as a new signing. 

Oztumer is a similar player to Dack in the sense that they both favour the hole and are more effective as a 10. 

Not sure we need another left back if the rumours about Bell are true. 

That said I’m interested to find out who these 2 players are. 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chapman and Downing would be excellent signings to start the window. Another couple after them and we would really be setting our stall out as meaning  serious business. 

Those complaining that the bids are for Chapman and Downing are the same moaners who would be on here running their mouths if it got to next summer and someone else had signed them. 

I won't be complaining. Downing's  done ok for us but no more than that. Other centre halves will be available., including Lenihan, Wharton, Platt. As for Chapman - I'd want to see him play again before I bet the ranch on him.

38 minutes ago, Tom said:

True. I'd take it if it was a pretty nominal fee though. He may have established himself here more by then and be able to charge a bigger wage. If he has been a regular starter for a top 3 team for most of the season he will be in more demand than you think, on a free. Probably not at a higher level than this, meaning we can beat anyone else's offering, but it still could ramp the wage up a bit, which over a contract length may cost more. Free transfers also tend to ask for bigger signing on fees.

5 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

They also said you can take Morris back. Bar the goals he contributes nothing which I thought was strange as I'm sure he was in double figures last year which for a winger seems more than a fair return.

He was. 19 goals, 3rd top scorer in the league. He also managed 11 assists, so whoever thinks he isn't contributing except for scoring (a ton of) goals may not be paying attention, as none of their other players got more than 6 assists. He has 7 goals and 4 assists this season.

Probably something of a League One Pedersen I'd imagine, if he is getting comments like that. Frustrating during general play and turning up with the goods at key moments. Never liked Morris when he played for us, personally.

Just now, tomphil said:

I really don't get Watt some see in Tony, ok on loan but do we really want to tie him to a 2 or 3 year good wages contract ?

I thought he was a quality player from what I saw of him, perhaps just needs to settle down at a club to get the best out of him again - Rovers are usually good for that.

I'd love him back here, and think he could fit the bill as one of our wide attackers.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I thought he was a quality player from what I saw of him, perhaps just needs to settle down at a club to get the best out of him again - Rovers are usually good for that.

I'd love him back here, and think he could fit the bill as one of our wide attackers.

I thought he was ok but i'd have serious reservations of him on a full time contract although if he came free on a one year deal then nothing to lose really I suppose but no big contracts to the likes of him anymore for me.

Rovers have also been very good at wasting big money on wasters.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He was. 19 goals, 3rd top scorer in the league. He also managed 11 assists, so whoever thinks he isn't contributing except for scoring (a ton of) goals may not be paying attention, as none of their other players got more than 6 assists. 7 goals and 4 assists this season.

Probably something of a League One Pedersen I'd imagine, if he is getting comments like that. Frustrating during general play and turning up with the goods at key moments. Never liked Morris when he played for us, personally.

Sounds a lot like Rovers fans say about Antonsson - apart from the goals, assists and hard work he is #*@$ :D

Archived