BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumours abound that Mezut Ozil has signed for us. Apparently Arsenal wanted him off their books as quickly as possible and gave him to us. Ozil has also said that he will play for free for the next five years. A bit underwhelmed myself as I was hoping for Ronaldinho.

16 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Although I do know him, Ben Whiteman at Doncaster would be perfect for us. Hes on loan from Sheff Utd, brought up at Man Utd. Goalscoring midfielder, good passer. Better than the tripe we have now

Ben scored again today. 

Last minute equaliser for Donny 

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No cos we got 3rd choice in Fisher. 

But we do need another striker in

To clarify, you think Nuttall isnt good enough to be 3rd choice striker but Fisher is fine as 3rd choice keeper?

A couple of pacy wingers is an absolute must between now and Shrewsbury.

Bennett can sometimes do a job away from home but his attacking input is nowhere near enough.

Conways legs have gone, his experience may help between now and May but little else.

Antonsson offers absolutely nothing from a creative aspect.

Chapman is basically out for the season.

We cant rely on Dack dragging us through, him and Graham are an excellent League 1 partnership but they get absolutely no help.

Before looking at any other positions, we need pace and creativity out wide. As a matter of urgency.

We don't get enough from midfield, we desperately need a player who can pull the strings. Obviously, a couple of wingers are also needed and we could do with another couple of fullbacks. This needs to be done before the Shrewsbury game, so get a move on Mowbray!

2 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

We don't get enough from midfield, we desperately need a player who can pull the strings. Obviously, a couple of wingers are also needed and we could do with another couple of fullbacks. This needs to be done before the Shrewsbury game, so get a move on Mowbray!

Just read my post 2 back.....he is the player for us.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To clarify, you think Nuttall isnt good enough to be 3rd choice striker but Fisher is fine as 3rd choice keeper?

A couple of pacy wingers is an absolute must between now and Shrewsbury.

Bennett can sometimes do a job away from home but his attacking input is nowhere near enough.

Conways legs have gone, his experience may help between now and May but little else.

Antonsson offers absolutely nothing from a creative aspect.

Chapman is basically out for the season.

We cant rely on Dack dragging us through, him and Graham are an excellent League 1 partnership but they get absolutely no help.

Before looking at any other positions, we need pace and creativity out wide. As a matter of urgency.

Where did I say Nuttall isnt good enough? 

But if we had 2 strikers injured for period of time cos just rely on 2 strikers. Need another one. 

Yes we do need a winger with pace. Would like to see goalscoring centre midfielder aswell. 

Antonsson doesnt create loads but scored how many? 8 goals?

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt say that. You said that we need a striker in case Graham and Samuel both happened to get simultaneous injuries. Not a priority. 

You said this to me

you think Nuttall isnt good enough to be 3rd choice striker 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You said this to me

you think Nuttall isnt good enough to be 3rd choice striker 

Apologies if my point wasnt put across very well, you said this

What happened if Graham and Samuel got injury? Then Nuttall or Antonsson would be main man. So why I prefer another striker in. 

That suggests that, as a back up, you dont trust Nuttall to cover on the slim chance that our 1st and 2nd choice strikers got injured?

My point is, our starting wingers (bar the long term injured Chapman) are not creating nearly enough, and dont have the pace or flair we need. Never mind their back-ups. So that has to be the priority, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Apologies if my point wasnt put across very well, you said this

What happened if Graham and Samuel got injury? Then Nuttall or Antonsson would be main man. So why I prefer another striker in. 

That suggests that, as a back up, you dont trust Nuttall to cover on the slim chance that our 1st and 2nd choice strikers got injured?

My point is, our starting wingers (bar the long term injured Chapman) are not creating nearly enough, and dont have the pace or flair we need. Never mind their back-ups. So that has to be the priority, in my opinion.

Big pressure for Nuttall to be our main striker if we did get injuries to strikers on such a young striker

I agree we need a winger, would prefer a left winger with pace so we can keep Bennett who add a lot to the team in terms of work rate, chasing the ball, tackles and positional play 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Big pressure for Nuttall to be our main striker if we did get injuries to strikers on such a young striker

I agree we need a winger, would prefer a left winger with pace so we can keep Bennett who add a lot to the team in terms of work rate, chasing the ball, tackles and positional play 

So you want us to sign another striker even though we only play one up front? So four strikers for one position? Utter madness, we aren't Man City.

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So you want us to sign another striker even though we only play one up front? So four strikers for one position? Utter madness, we aren't Man City.

went 4-4-2 today during the game, Plus Graham and Antonsson got injured in Scunthorpe game, plus Nuttall ill. Just imagine if Graham was fit enough to start today who would have been on the bench, Butterworth? not good enough yet for this level.

Graham probably playing with Injury today

Mowbray was asked by Andy Bayes about those bids put in, said still on going

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

went 4-4-2 today during the game, Plus Graham and Antonsson got injured in Scunthorpe game, plus Nuttall ill. Just imagine if Graham was fit enough to start today who would have been on the bench, Butterworth? not good enough yet for this level.

Graham probably playing with Injury today

Mowbray was asked by Andy Bayes about those bids put in, said still on going

We don't start 4-4-2 as you well know. We don't need 4 strikers for one position. You don't go buying strikers just because one of them has caught a bug and another has a niggle. It isn't Football Manager.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We don't start 4-4-2 as you well know. We don't need 4 strikers for one position. You don't go buying strikers just because one of them has caught a bug and another has a niggle. It isn't Football Manager.

nobody is mentioning Football manager. just you. 

we need another striker, plus a pacey winger and centre midfielder. if you disagree fine but move on. 

I have my opinion and you have yours. 

Personally, I think we need a dominant centre-half in the McNamee or Hawkins mould - we aren't strong in the air at the back - and a centre-forward who is powerful in the air for Graham and Dack to feed off.  We also need options at full-back and an orthodox winger.  Signing a strong centre-back would allow us to push Mulgrew into midfield.  At the end of the day Mowbray and his backroom staff will have identified the players they want and I suspect they won't be the same as the supporters will want.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

and a centre-forward who is powerful in the air for Graham and Dack to feed off

We don't play two up front. What you're really suggesting is that Graham is dropped and Samuel, the man Mowbray spent £500k on, isn't good enough for the 1st team.

1 minute ago, Parsonblue said:

Signing a strong centre-back would allow us to push Mulgrew into midfield. 

Mowbray has already said that moving Mulgrew to midfield isn't even a consideration. We do need a strong CB though but I assume that will be Lenihan.

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I think we need a dominant centre-half in the McNamee or Hawkins mould - we aren't strong in the air at the back - and a centre-forward who is powerful in the air for Graham and Dack to feed off.  We also need options at full-back and an orthodox winger.  Signing a strong centre-back would allow us to push Mulgrew into midfield.  At the end of the day Mowbray and his backroom staff will have identified the players they want and I suspect they won't be the same as the supporters will want.

Would James Hanson be a possible signing as a powerful striker?

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would James Hanson be a possible signing as a powerful striker?

It's a good shout. Big Jimmy certainly knows this league. Not sure on his fitness as I don't think he's been playing. 

I put him forward some months ago. Big target man when you need one

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's a good shout. Big Jimmy certainly knows this league. Not sure on his fitness as I don't think he's been playing. 

I put him forward some months ago. Big target man when you need one

We were lined with him in the summer. He's being linked with Rotherham now as a replacement for Moore.

45 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

We don't play two up front. What you're really suggesting is that Graham is dropped and Samuel, the man Mowbray spent £500k on, isn't good enough for the 1st team.

Mowbray has already said that moving Mulgrew to midfield isn't even a consideration. We do need a strong CB though but I assume that will be Lenihan.

I think in Graham, Samuel, Nuttall and Dack we have good options for the forward positions but we are lacking a target man at times.  In this division you need that power in the air, particularly at set pieces, which we don't have at present.

Archived