SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Big pressure for Nuttall to be our main striker if we did get injuries to strikers on such a young striker

I agree we need a winger, would prefer a left winger with pace so we can keep Bennett who add a lot to the team in terms of work rate, chasing the ball, tackles and positional play 

Big pressure yes, but your hypothetical situation is extremely unlikely. At the end of the day, we need pace in wide positions for the starting 11. A 4th striker is way down the priority list. And Bennett has a big part and i appreciate his work rate but hes had a really poor season. No goals and very few assists, hes part of the problem of our strikers feeding off scraps at times. Needs to improve. 2 wingers might push him to up his game. 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I think we need a dominant centre-half in the McNamee or Hawkins mould - we aren't strong in the air at the back - and a centre-forward who is powerful in the air for Graham and Dack to feed off.  We also need options at full-back and an orthodox winger.  Signing a strong centre-back would allow us to push Mulgrew into midfield.  At the end of the day Mowbray and his backroom staff will have identified the players they want and I suspect they won't be the same as the supporters will want.

Dont understand the clamour for Mulgrew in midfield. Not only does he lack the legs to play in midfield. I feel his best work comes in organising the defence, he brings the ball out well, he heads things away, hes got everything needed for a good centre back. Plus you mention we need a centre back, surely Lenihan fits the bill. Them 2 look good together, Mulgrews composure and leadership and Lenihans power and bravery.

Regarding a striker, theres no way we could play a target man, Dack AND Graham whilst keeping a good balance. Graham hold the ball up and has scored a few goals, him and Dack will get the goals we need if ably supplied. Which is whats lacking.

Whittinghams got a big part to play I feel, he can give us the composure alongside Smallwood like he did v Scunthorpe. Dont think thats a priority either in the window.

Need to build around the spine of Lenihan, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Whittingham, Dack and Graham. A set of players that should be a class above. Downing, Evans, Samuel the back up.

Kieffer Moore of Ipswich, recently on loan at Rotherham with 13 goals in League One is a must. He's available for transfer and Rotherham have already lodged a bid. 25 year old, big, strong striker who would be a great target man and scores goals as a lone striker. Rotherham are expecting other bids from a League One teams - we have to be one. Our current strikers are good, but not effective or consistent enough. 

Josh Morris would be an ideal signing to fill the void on the left. Been one of the best league one players for 2 seasons with assists and goals. 

Would also like a right back who can offer an attacking threat. Nyambe is improving but not confident going forward. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Big pressure yes, but your hypothetical situation is extremely unlikely. At the end of the day, we need pace in wide positions for the starting 11. A 4th striker is way down the priority list. And Bennett has a big part and i appreciate his work rate but hes had a really poor season. No goals and very few assists, hes part of the problem of our strikers feeding off scraps at times. Needs to improve. 2 wingers might push him to up his game. 

Dont understand the clamour for Mulgrew in midfield. Not only does he lack the legs to play in midfield. I feel his best work comes in organising the defence, he brings the ball out well, he heads things away, hes got everything needed for a good centre back. Plus you mention we need a centre back, surely Lenihan fits the bill. Them 2 look good together, Mulgrews composure and leadership and Lenihans power and bravery.

Regarding a striker, theres no way we could play a target man, Dack AND Graham whilst keeping a good balance. Graham hold the ball up and has scored a few goals, him and Dack will get the goals we need if ably supplied. Which is whats lacking.

Whittinghams got a big part to play I feel, he can give us the composure alongside Smallwood like he did v Scunthorpe. Dont think thats a priority either in the window.

Need to build around the spine of Lenihan, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Whittingham, Dack and Graham. A set of players that should be a class above. Downing, Evans, Samuel the back up.

Problem with Lenihan and Mulgrew is neither are natural central defenders. Both have played between defence and midfield through their careers. They are footballing defenders which is great, but neither are strong or dominant enough in the air to compete against big target men. 

Whittingham has flattered to deceive. He's improved this season but has simply not been good enough and Graham will put himself about but a more dominant striker will make the ball stick better - Kieffer Moore would be ideal. 

11 minutes ago, Morethanwords said:

Kieffer Moore of Ipswich, recently on loan at Rotherham with 13 goals in League One is a must. He's available for transfer and Rotherham have already lodged a bid. 25 year old, big, strong striker who would be a great target man and scores goals as a lone striker. Rotherham are expecting other bids from a League One teams - we have to be one. Our current strikers are good, but not effective or consistent enough. 

Josh Morris would be an ideal signing to fill the void on the left. Been one of the best league one players for 2 seasons with assists and goals. 

Would also like a right back who can offer an attacking threat. Nyambe is improving but not confident going forward. 

Regarding Moore, obviously Graham wont last forever but I would consider ita bad move if we spent most of our January budget on a striker when we are crying out for pace out wide.

On Josh Morris, he usually plays centrally, he did the other day anyway. He doesnt solve our need for pace and would probably be more likely to slot in alongside Smallwood. Like Moore, he would be a potentially good signing but crucially not what we need as a priority.

5 minutes ago, Morethanwords said:

Problem with Lenihan and Mulgrew is neither are natural central defenders. Both have played between defence and midfield through their careers. They are footballing defenders which is great, but neither are strong or dominant enough in the air to compete against big target men. 

Whittingham has flattered to deceive. He's improved this season but has simply not been good enough and Graham will put himself about but a more dominant striker will make the ball stick better - Kieffer Moore would be ideal. 

I disagree on the centre backs. Celtic fans said when we signed him that he is a good player but only if he plays at centre back. They were critical of him in midfield and at full back. He leads from the back and he is over 6 foot and heads away dangerous crosses, something ive noticed which is particularly prevalent in the last few games at ewood. Him and Lenihan struck up a good partnership at centre back last season when played together. Lenihan has played in both positions, he was poor in midfield, hes not really a ball playing defender, hes more of a brute who has the physicality to handle big strikers.

I think Graham holds it up very well, his problem has been his goalscoring but hes not getting many chances. Scored his 2 v Scunthorpe. Again a supply issue. And I think although Whittingham hasnt quite hit the standards we expected our midfield looks far more balanced when him and Smallwood played together. They were excellent v Scunthorpe and Whittingham picked out some brilliant passes.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Antonsson is out injured and Graham came off on Saturday with tight hamstring. So my situation isnt hypothetical as you say..

Wouldnt be buying 2 wingers. Just 1 pacey winger

If we could get that big lad Moore we should because I think he’d give us a different options of playing style. 

Get him, some pace out wide with a decent delivery and a better right back than we have now we’d be flying I’d say. Williams has had an okay season especially recently. Nyambe is improving but he’s not quite there yet for me. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Antonsson is out injured and Graham came off on Saturday with tight hamstring. So my situation isnt hypothetical as you say..

Wouldnt be buying 2 wingers. Just 1 pacey winger

It is because Graham is still fit, but Samuel cost alot of money anyway so is good back up.

7 hours ago, Morethanwords said:

If he was that good then why isn't a premiership team in for him ?

Kieffer Moore?? Stay away please. The guy had a spell here at Viking (Stavanger) and became a laughing stock. He is seriously lacking in every other department than heading. He was at Viking only because he was released by Yeovil. Look at his stats people. He have one purple patch at a Rotherham team that lumps in the box on every occasion. 

He couldn't even nail down a regular place at Forest Green last season.

We need to aim higher than that. 

32 minutes ago, JAL said:

If he was that good then why isn't a premiership team in for him ?

Same goes for Lenihan who hasn't been missed at all and has got better by being on the treatment table in some peoples eyes.

Another player who can't hold down a particular position, ropey in a tackle, not great heading, dire marking and a poor reader of the game. 

Lets hope he's a midfielder who can pass or I'd strongly take what we could get for him.  

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Lenihan’s been back ‘on the grass’ for weeks, how near to a return is he?

Hopefully this month. Would be great to have him in contention for the Shrewsbury game but not sure will he be? Any word on Chapman? How long we talking? 

22 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Rumours abound that Mezut Ozil has signed for us. Apparently Arsenal wanted him off their books as quickly as possible and gave him to us. Ozil has also said that he will play for free for the next five years. A bit underwhelmed myself as I was hoping for Ronaldinho.

Link?

47 minutes ago, GreenRover said:

Hopefully this month. Would be great to have him in contention for the Shrewsbury game but not sure will he be? Any word on Chapman? How long we talking? 

I wouldnt think Chapman will be ready and fit enough to play until March at the earliest. In fact, we will probably not see very much him at all as his injury was a serious one that is never easy to recover from.

Just now, JacknOry said:

I wouldnt think Chapman will be ready and fit enough to play until March at the earliest. In fact, we will probably not see very much him at all as his injury was a serious one that is never easy to recover from.

I agree. If Chapman does get back to top form this season it'll be a bonus.

A rather pointless signing that's probably only hindered one of our own stepping up and at 17 years old was never going to be what was needed in this division. TM doing old mates a favour there maybe but hopefully we are moving away from that kind of thing now.

A Coventry or Charlton wonder kid in next ....... :unsure:

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think we need to go to 442. To support that I would get another striker in the Gestede mode, and a proper winger.

451 is unnecessarily defensive in this league.

And we aren't keeping clean sheets with 4-5-1 either!  Dack in the middle with Smallwood.  Two wingers and two up top.

15 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Thanks. Could be back for the final push for promotion. ?

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

A rather pointless signing that's probably only hindered one of our own stepping up and at 17 years old was never going to be what was needed in this division. TM doing old mates a favour there maybe but hopefully we are moving away from that kind of thing now.

A Coventry or Charlton wonder kid in next ....... :unsure:

Who was he doing a favour? 

It didn't work out,but apparently Tomlinson's personal issues were what were keeping him out of the 1st team picture,not Harper. It was a bit of an odd deal,but he was labelled as some prodigy. All we saw were a petulant little boy way out of his depth in a man's game. Will be interesting to see what becomes of him when he matures a lot. 

I assume this frees up a loan spot now. Be great to have a few deals done before our next league game. 

Archived