SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RV Blue said:

I would take that as long as Whittingham is the 'surprise departure' Nixon is talking about.

I would be disappointed if he left. I'd prefer if it was Evans to be honest. At least then we would get a fee. 

I have a feeling it could be Graham or Conway. Maybe the surprise is we have found someone to take Ward :) ah no,that's harsh. I'm not one for scapegoating. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Where does Gallagher play these days? Is it more central?

Very much a ‘quarterback’ role. Alongside Smallwood I imagine but also backup for Dack. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be disappointed if he left. I'd prefer if it was Evans to be honest. At least then we would get a fee. 

I have a feeling it could be Graham or Conway. Maybe the surprise is we have found someone to take Ward :) ah no,that's harsh. I'm not one for scapegoating. 

Graham has been starting lately and playing well I doubt very much it's him..and to be fair who would take his wages on?

Maybe Williams has championship interest would be a reason why we are bringing in Bell

Just now, J*B said:

Very much a ‘quarterback’ role. Alongside Smallwood I imagine but also backup for Dack. 

Yeah I thought so. Possibly a decent option then as we have yet to find the perfect foil for Smallwood. That young wnger from Liverpool, anyone know much about him?

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just think Whittingham and Gallagher would be too similar, we can't really afford two of those kinds of players. I wouldn't mind at all if Evans was the departure either though.

Gallagher won't be a bad signing, not least to provide more back up for Dack. 

This "surprise departure" worries me. In so that it is a "surprise" I'm ruling out Mulgrew & Lenihan. However Dack could be a surprise as he's only just come. I'm hoping it is Evans though as, really, I think he's the only other one considered good enough for someone to sign.

I think Williams is one of our weak points. He's doing ok in this league because of the lack of quality but if this Bell can play there I'm all for competition in that position. I think Williams still has the potential to lose us games and, should we go up, he'd definitely need replacing then anyway.

Just now, RV Blue said:

I just think Whittingham and Gallagher would be too similar, we can't really afford two of those kinds of players. I wouldn't mind at all if Evans was the departure either though.

I think Gallagher offers more in versatility though. Would imagine he can all across midfield and further forward if needed. Not the worst signing but a little underwhelmed if honest as we should be planning for the Championship.

19 minutes ago, J*B said:

Incomings:

The two ‘cash’ players Mowbray has mentioned are:

Bell (Fleetwood)

Gallagher (PNE)

Harper going means we can step up loan deal for winger Adekanye from Liverpool. 

Mowbray wants at least one more to come in. 

thanks for info. 

but my view is we don't need a Gallagher type and 33 year old, has been playing regular for PNE recently and was a sub yesterday. 

Bell is a left back who can play left wing aswell. and has pace from what I've read about the player. 

Adekanye a link or a suggestion of yours? only 18 isn't he?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

thanks for info. 

but my view is we don't need a Gallagher type and 33 year old, has been playing regular for PNE recently and was a sub yesterday. 

Bell is a left back who can play left wing aswell. and has pace from what I've read about the player. 

Adekanye a link or a suggestion of yours? only 18 isn't he?

We certainly do need gallagher, apart from dack weve no creativity, gallagher is a creative player, watched him many of times at Deepdale in a working capacity and he really is a pleasure to watch

2 minutes ago, AAK said:

We certainly do need gallagher, apart from dack weve no creativity, gallagher is a creative player, watched him many of times at Deepdale in a working capacity and he really is a pleasure to watch

I agree we need a midfielder but I wanted someone younger like Nolan at Shrewsbury 

I don't think we should be signing 33 year old at this stage. 

we need pace wide also. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I agree we need a midfielder but I wanted someone younger like Nolan at Shrewsbury or 

I don't think we should be signing 33 year old at this stage. 

we need pace wide also. 

Think its more of a case that we need players who can do the business now Chris. We need to get out of this division. Also adekanye is a winger mate. 

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think Gallagher offers more in versatility though. Would imagine he can all across midfield and further forward if needed. Not the worst signing but a little underwhelmed if honest as we should be planning for the Championship.

In all fairness,planning for the Championship is a distant second in the list of our priorities to getting out of League 1. 

In all fairness,planning for the Championship is a distant second in the list of our priorities to getting out of League 1. 

Distant? Not much point getting there to then falling back out a season later.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Regarding Moore, obviously Graham wont last forever but I would consider ita bad move if we spent most of our January budget on a striker when we are crying out for pace out wide.

On Josh Morris, he usually plays centrally, he did the other day anyway. He doesnt solve our need for pace and would probably be more likely to slot in alongside Smallwood. Like Moore, he would be a potentially good signing but crucially not what we need as a priority.

I disagree on the centre backs. Celtic fans said when we signed him that he is a good player but only if he plays at centre back. They were critical of him in midfield and at full back. He leads from the back and he is over 6 foot and heads away dangerous crosses, something ive noticed which is particularly prevalent in the last few games at ewood. Him and Lenihan struck up a good partnership at centre back last season when played together. Lenihan has played in both positions, he was poor in midfield, hes not really a ball playing defender, hes more of a brute who has the physicality to handle big strikers.

I think Graham holds it up very well, his problem has been his goalscoring but hes not getting many chances. Scored his 2 v Scunthorpe. Again a supply issue. And I think although Whittingham hasnt quite hit the standards we expected our midfield looks far more balanced when him and Smallwood played together. They were excellent v Scunthorpe and Whittingham picked out some brilliant passes.

Disagree. Don't judge a season by one game. Morris plays between the centre and the left of midfield, which is perfect for us as we need someone with good delivery from the left (check out his assists) and creativity through the middle. Now THAT would be good balance, Morris and Smallwood! Great flexibility. Having played left back, he also knows how to defend. 

Graham's hold up play is good, not great and is not good enough in the air for the number of crosses that we get into the box. 

I like both Lenihan and Mulgrew but we are missing a centre half who can take control aerially - just look at the number of headed goals we've conceded from corners. Didn't like Duffy, but that's what he did well. That's not Lenihan, he's gutsy and will throw his body on the line but he's not dominant in the air and positionally naive. 

We will have all summer to prepare. Need to get out of League 1 first. 

We should be planning for it now not leaving it to the summer - especially in the land of the onion baji brothers. We should be signing players that at least have the potential to cut it in the league above.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We should be planning for it now not leaving it to the summer - especially in the land of the onion baji brothers. We should be signing players that at least have the potential to cut it in the league above.

Gallagher can cut it there. He is playing for Preston who are in and around the play offs. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do we know that these are the 2 cash bids?

If they are, then hes using his budget in totally the wrong areas.

That said, I have my doubts that Gallagher will be coming here. Leaving a regular place in a team pushing for the play offs in the league above.

Assuming it’s true, the fact he is a Blackburn lad and a Rovers fan may well sway this. A final swansong for his hometown club. I’ve seen him a number of times in the Jack Walker stand over the years supporting us. He may also feel he didn’t get a fair crack of the whip as a youngster and this is an opportunity to rectify that. 

On a playing note I think it would be a great coup. He has been regularly starting for a championship side who have spent the majority of the season in the top 8. A very creative player who also puts a shift in; he would be capable of running games in this league. I think he would really suit playing with Smallwood. 

I hope J*B info is correct and we pull this off.

Archived