BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Nicko did tweet something earlier that Portsmouth were chasing a surprise league 1 striker who was scoring goals for his club , which at the time I ignored , could it be Graham ? But then I see Fleetwood have signed Paddy Madden , so maybe Devante Cole Is on the move

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gallagher can cut it there. He is playing for Preston who are in and around the play offs. 

He is a bit part player in the main and is 33. I am not totally against his signing as he would be quality in L1 (though I felt the same about Whittingham). The very fact we are bidding for him(alledgedly) would suggest they want rid or he wants one last contract that is local. Perfect for him.

Could be close to 35 by the time he plays for us in the Championship.

Just now, JacknOry said:

He is a bit part player in the main and is 33. I am not totally against his signing as he would be quality in L1 (though I felt the same about Whittingham). The very fact we are bidding for him(alledgedly) would suggest they want rid or he wants one last contract that is local. Perfect for him.

If i remember correctly Gordon Cowans was in his thirties when we signed him at the start of the nineties and what a part he played for us

Just now, den9112 said:

If i remember correctly Gordon Cowans was in his thirties when we signed him at the start of the nineties and what a part he played for us

So was Danny Murphy, Etuhu and many others. The game has changed massively since then with these huge contracts...back then they played for the love of the game.

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Gary Mcallister did a job for Liverpool in the premiership at 36 :) I feel he would be a good signing for this season. Beyond that isn't on my radar until promotion is secured 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gary Mcallister did a job for Liverpool in the premiership at 36 :) I feel he would be a good signing for this season. Beyond that isn't on my radar until promotion is secured 

See my post above

And it should be on your radar. If you think clubs just act on a whim and a here and now basis you could not be more wrong. All successful clubs with ambition look and plan for potential outcomes.

Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury would be the top choice if we want a central midfielder, by far and away the stand-out player for them. It would also dampen their promotion hopes which is a bonus.

He’ll be on less than half of what Evans is on, so if we could get rid of him the wages could tempt Nolan.

I can only see Gallagher coming in if Whittingham is going. They're too similar in style to both be at the club.we thought Whittingham was going to be a " quarter back " and he's done nothing. Gallagher can only play centre mid now, his day of playing further forward are over, his lack of pace was he weakness even as a young player. Also he'll be joining the  fair sized list of the players we've got at the club who are no longer good for much more than an hour. 

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We don't want someone to come in as cover. We want someone to go straight into the first team and hit the ground running.

Agreed, but that will be the rationale, as Hart is nowhere near good enough to step up, poor signing.

Who knows this fella may be an upgrade on Williams, but even so I still don’t think left back is a priority.

36 minutes ago, AAK said:

Think its more of a case that we need players who can do the business now Chris. We need to get out of this division. Also adekanye is a winger mate. 

Nolan is playing for Shrewsbury and scoring goals. got 5 goals this season

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do we know that these are the 2 cash bids?

If they are, then hes using his budget in totally the wrong areas.

That said, I have my doubts that Gallagher will be coming here. Leaving a regular place in a team pushing for the play offs in the league above.

J*B. has had good info before. good source

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

My first thought on Nixons tweet was we may be looking at a striker with potentially Graham going, not sure why I thought that 

I thought Lenihan for some reason, with Nelson from Oxford his replacement as he is out of contract this summer but currently injured

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Reports on Twitter we had a bid rejected for Danny Llyod. Plays for Peterborough. Anyone know of him?

winger. scored 5 goals this season but his contract there is till 2020. so don't think we bid for him as Mowbray said both players were out of contract this summer

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We don't want someone to come in as cover. We want someone to go straight into the first team and hit the ground running.

can play wide left from reports

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gallagher supports the club. So there is your love part :)

Whether he supports the club or not...he still will want one last contract and it will be for his own reasons. That does not mean he will be a good signing at 33/34. Yeah he will prefer one here at the team he supports and one which is convenient as he does not have to up sticks but he will sign primarily to extend his career. 

7 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Jon Nolan from Shrewsbury would be the top choice if we want a central midfielder, by far and away the stand-out player for them. It would also dampen their promotion hopes which is a bonus.

He’ll be on less than half of what Evans is on, so if we could get rid of him the wages could tempt Nolan.

agreed 1000%

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Agreed, but that will be the rationale, as Hart is nowhere near good enough to step up, poor signing.

Who knows this fella may be an upgrade on Williams, but even so I still don’t think left back is a priority.

I agree, Williams isn't great but he won't be the reason we don't go up.

23 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I think we need a dominant centre-half in the McNamee or Hawkins mould - we aren't strong in the air at the back - and a centre-forward who is powerful in the air for Graham and Dack to feed off.  We also need options at full-back and an orthodox winger.  Signing a strong centre-back would allow us to push Mulgrew into midfield.  At the end of the day Mowbray and his backroom staff will have identified the players they want and I suspect they won't be the same as the supporters will want.

Correct and what I suggested in the Summer window. Brick S-H types suited to L1. We have no aerial dominance at either end of the pitch. Wars are won in the air.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Correct and what I suggested in the Summer window. Brick S-H types suited to L1. We have no aerial dominance at either end of the pitch. Wars are won in the air.

It's a minimum requirement to have those types in this div and something a load of us have banged on about since relegation was confirmed. Sadly those with the so called experience of running a team in this league rather naively didn't.

Still time to sort it though.

Wouldn't want Gally back. Wasn't even outstanding for PNE in this league a few years ago. 

Pace on the wings is a priority for me.

Lenihan back will be like a new signing for me, and increases cover in midfield and defence. 

Just now, Baz said:

Wouldn't want Gally back. Wasn't even outstanding for PNE in this league a few years ago. 

Pace on the wings is a priority for me.

Lenihan back will be like a new signing for me, and increases cover in midfield and defence. 

I think I agree with you. Is he really going to be any better than Whittingham ?  We want somebody with an engine who can get up and down the pitch not somebody who just plays in the centre circle. Would we be interested if he'd never played for Rovers ?

I suspect that Mowbray will have to do some juggling with the wages in order to free up space for new signings. Whilst they might cough up the dosh of a few hundred grand for a couple of incomings I doubt Mowbray will be allowed to add new contracts onto the wage bill without first offloading a big earner or two.

If we bring in the likes of Bell from Fleetwood these level of players are going to be on peanuts compared to players of yesteryear. In 5 years we've gone from Premier League wages on the likes of Rhodes and Best to a fraction of that on people like Dack and Smallwood. So there's no real surprise that Venkys are content to splash a bit out on some League One signings provided a plan is in place to continue to reduce the wage bill in line with falling revenues.

With that in mind if departures are on the cards then we should look at Graham, Evans, Conway. Those are the sort who are on the top end salaries and unless I'm mistaken Evans and Conway are out of contract in the summer so they might have one eye on that.

I've no evidence to support it, because only the money men and Mowbray would be able to do that, but I remain convinced that the deadline day arrivals of Downing, Hart and Harper were only made possible once Feeney had been offloaded to Cardiff and a chunk of his no doubt substantial wages were freed up for those 3. That's my interpretation of the nature and timing of those signings. 

Assuming a similar policy is in place this window expect similar - an Evans or Conway on £10,000+ a week out the door and 2-3 in on £4,000 a week. 

Selling any one of our key men would be lunacy.

I'm not really interested in long term additions - all our concern should be on is having enough to get up over the next 20 odd games. Worry about longer term if or when we go up and we have the more favourable summer window to do business.

Nixon lost all contacts with the club years ago and has been trying to sell our best ever players ever since, can’t believe he actually steals a wage. Also I’d love a pacey left winger first team aswel not backup because Antonsson goes missing for 89 minutes.

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suspect that Mowbray will have to do some juggling with the wages in order to free up space for new signings. Whilst they might cough up the dosh of a few hundred grand for a couple of incomings I doubt Mowbray will be allowed to add new contracts onto the wage bill without first offloading a big earner or two.

If we bring in the likes of Bell from Fleetwood these level of players are going to be on peanuts compared to players of yesteryear. In 5 years we've gone from Premier League wages on the likes of Rhodes and Best to a fraction of that on people like Dack and Smallwood. So there's no real surprise that Venkys are content to splash a bit out on some League One signings provided a plan is in place to continue to reduce the wage bill in line with falling revenues.

With that in mind if departures are on the cards then we should look at Graham, Evans, Conway. Those are the sort who are on the top end salaries and unless I'm mistaken Evans and Conway are out of contract in the summer so they might have one eye on that.

I've no evidence to support it, because only the money men and Mowbray would be able to do that, but I remain convinced that the deadline day arrivals of Downing, Hart and Harper were only made possible once Feeney had been offloaded to Cardiff and a chunk of his no doubt substantial wages were freed up for those 3. That's my interpretation of the nature and timing of those signings. 

Assuming a similar policy is in place this window expect similar - an Evans or Conway on £10,000+ a week out the door and 2-3 in on £4,000 a week. 

Selling any one of our key men would be lunacy.

I'm not really interested in long term additions - all our concern should be on is having enough to get up over the next 20 odd games. Worry about longer term if or when we go up and we have the more favourable summer window to do business.

Evans contract doesn’t run out till 2019,you’re right re Conway 2018.

Archived