BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Once Lenihan is fit put him at the back with Mulgrew and see how it works. I don't see Downing or Ward as first team players when everybody is fit, although Downing in particular is able back up. Not sure about Ward.

Ward is finished. I said at the start of this season if we continue with him we won't achieve anything and it's become very apparent he's one of our weakest players in this squad.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Lenihen doesn't suit that at all what seed Mowbray is trying to plant here is because he'll suddenly find himself having to accommodate 3 centre backs as Lenihen when fit is always likely to be found a place he's the next and possibly only one left to get any real transfer value into.

Get him in front of aback 4 and allow midfield to operate a bit further forwards instead maybe.

I also wouldn't switch to a back 3 but I think Mowbray might try it. You don't have to reinvent the wheel at this level.

I'd have Lenihan competing to play alongside Smallwood in centre mid whenever he returns.

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

Ridiculous we haven't signed anyone yet...waiting for someone to be sold before Mowbray gets the green light to bring anyone in 

I was joking.But on a serious note what is happening with these bids we made?.Surely we would know by now wether they have Been accepted or turned down

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Ridiculous we haven't signed anyone yet...waiting for someone to be sold before Mowbray gets the green light to bring anyone in 

Errrr.....  if you're joking, very good. If not, blimey, allowing for the Bank Holiday we're only just over 36 hours into the window.

Just now, islander200 said:

I was joking.But on a serious note what is happening with these bids we made?.Surely we would know by now wether they have Been accepted or turned down

Maybe the selling club is making us wait until they get a replacement. 

Mowbray said after the Rotherham game its ongoing. 

Looks like they trying to keep it out of the media

21 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I also wouldn't switch to a back 3 but I think Mowbray might try it. You don't have to reinvent the wheel at this level.

I'd have Lenihan competing to play alongside Smallwood in centre mid whenever he returns.

I agree. Lenihan should play centre mid along side Smallwood. A solid, Mobile pair that would offer good protection for mulgrew and downing to allow the attackers to do exactly that.  Drop Bennett to right back. Good tackler and energy for the overlap would offer so much more going forward than either Caddis or nyambe and can tackle to as he demonstrated nicely when scunthorpe wouldn't put the ball out.  So we need pacey wingers. Left and right this transfer window. With Chapman to come back  should see us fully equipped to go up 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe the selling club is making us wait until they get a replacement. 

Mowbray said after the Rotherham game its ongoing. 

Looks like they trying to keep it out of the media

Maybe I thought with Fleetwood signing madden last night we would have seen Bell sign today.At least with it being Fa cup this weekend we have a bit of time before the next league game 

33 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Tactical flaws catch you out at this level just like any other, we started with a square wheel this season then wondered why it didn't turn ;)

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I agree. Lenihan should play centre mid along side Smallwood. A solid, Mobile pair that would offer good protection for mulgrew and downing to allow the attackers to do exactly that.  Drop Bennett to right back. Good tackler and energy for the overlap would offer so much more going forward than either Caddis or nyambe and can tackle to as he demonstrated nicely when scunthorpe wouldn't put the ball out.  So we need pacey wingers. Left and right this transfer window. With Chapman to come back  should see us fully equipped to go up 

Saw Chapman say on twitter that he is still out for another couple of months. I don't think he's going to play a big part for us this season unfortunately. I'd try hard to sign him in the summer if his injury hasn't permanently ruined his pace. So I'd be prioritising two pacey wingers, maybe one on loan and one permanently.

Bennett to right back is an interesting idea but I don't see it happening somehow.

If you look at what we've got out wide its not encouraging.

Chapman - Out for another 2+ months

Conway - Past it imo. Now he doesn't take set pieces as regularly he offers very little.

Bennett - Good but not a consistent problem

Antonnson - Scored some good goals starting from the left. Form has faded during december. Still not sure about.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Saw Chapman say on twitter that he is still out for another couple of months. I don't think he's going to play a big part for us this season unfortunately. I'd try hard to sign him in the summer if his injury hasn't permanently ruined his pace. So I'd be prioritising two pacey wingers, maybe one on loan and one permanently.

Bennett to right back is an interesting idea but I don't see it happening somehow.

If you look at what we've got out wide its not encouraging.

Chapman - Out for another 2+ months

Conway - Past it imo. Now he doesn't take set pieces as regularly he offers very little.

Bennett - Good but not a consistent problem

Antonnson - Scored some good goals starting from the left. Form has faded during december. Still not sure about.

Agree with the notion of signing one wide man permanently and another on loan in the hope Chapman might be back before the end of the season.

Conway is past it, Bennett never had it in the first place and Antonsson is a little bit in and out for me and arguably not really an out and out wide player in any event.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Lenihen doesn't suit that at all what seed Mowbray is trying to plant here is because he'll suddenly find himself having to accommodate 3 centre backs as Lenihen when fit is always likely to be found a place he's the next and possibly only one left to get any real transfer value into.

Get him in front of aback 4 and allow midfield to operate a bit further forwards instead maybe.

Would Lenihan do the same job as Smallwood in the middle of the park sitting in front of the back 4? I think if Lenihan is playing well we put him Centre Half. Depends on Downing then if he can play well with Lenihan. If they can gel together and keep clean sheets I would push Charlie to Centre mid and let him dictate there. But someone said earlier that Mowbray wants to keep Charlie Centre Half. If that is the case we have three strong Centre halves fighting it out but I think we need to invest then in someone who can play in the middle and dictate things and most importantly create. Whittingham and Evans are not up to it. Have Dack sitting off the striker whether is be Graham or Samuel. A lively winger would not go astray either. IMO we need a creative CM, Winger who can take players on like Chapman and a full back to help out in defence. Three players line that should see us over the line IMO. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would cost a couple millions pounds. Celtic linked aswell. 

Wont be coming here. Move on

No need to be rude... Jog on.. Lol 

No I don't think he'd look  as low as league one fee involved or not 

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

You've noticed any improvement at all then? I agree with his heading, he's one of those who jumps with his head down but he's still better than Caddis in that regards.

No I haven't. Agreed about Caddis but that's not saying much is it? 

1 hour ago, GreenRover said:

Would Lenihan do the same job as Smallwood in the middle of the park sitting in front of the back 4? I think if Lenihan is playing well we put him Centre Half. Depends on Downing then if he can play well with Lenihan. If they can gel together and keep clean sheets I would push Charlie to Centre mid and let him dictate there. But someone said earlier that Mowbray wants to keep Charlie Centre Half. If that is the case we have three strong Centre halves fighting it out but I think we need to invest then in someone who can play in the middle and dictate things and most importantly create. Whittingham and Evans are not up to it. Have Dack sitting off the striker whether is be Graham or Samuel. A lively winger would not go astray either. IMO we need a creative CM, Winger who can take players on like Chapman and a full back to help out in defence. Three players line that should see us over the line IMO. 

I fear rotating centre halves like the rotating of Evans and Whittingham it strikes me as the type of thing Mowbray might do and we've seen this type of thing before in the recent past at Ewood.

Therefore I'd rather come up with something a bit different that maybe allowed one or both centre mids operating a bit further forwards. I know what your saying though it's a good problem to have with them all fit but it needs managing right or there'll be no benefit to it. The Charlie in midfield is a no goer he doesn't want to play there it's already been said and i suppose if they don't intended on stumping up for Downing the natural thing is to implement Lenihen back in there.

I just want the strongest, settled side on the pitch that compliment each other but that rarely happens at Rovers these last 7 years for some unfathomable reason we have a must rotate policy whoever the boss is.

12 minutes ago, Al said:

No I haven't. Agreed about Caddis but that's not saying much is it? 

Nyambe had a very good game against Scunthorpe to be fair al.Did very well for the 1st goal.I know one good game doesn't make him a player and he hasn't progressed as much as i thought he would have this season.Still think he could be a player but needs a lot of work I'm not giving up on him just yet

Archived