BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

There you are Phil replied back to you before. 

The info was on twitter, Sky Sports News and Nixon all reported it. 

That really was a derogatory offer considering the money they have and what they have spent recently. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
9 hours ago, Boaty said:

Pathetic, I started posting speculation as fact like you are doing I'd be slapped with some more warning points.

Either name your source or don't bother.

If he names his source, he loses it.

Just enjoy titbits of potential info like a normal person. He isn't exactly giving us outlandish nonsense is he?

Youngster from a PL team and a Rovers fan from the next league up with a skill set we're missing.

Both plausible.

Just now, Athlete said:

There's rumours going around on both Danny Graham and Dack being looked at by championship sides.. Lose either and I think we can say goodbye to promotion 

We won't lose either.I know the Venkys are stupid but why would the sell Dack?Unless stupid money is offered then it would make absolutely no sense.Talk of 3 million and I don't see Venkys accepting that promotion is worth far more.When you say rumours do you mean some Twitter chatty chatter from people looking for attention or from credible sources?

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We won't lose either.I know the Venkys are stupid but why would the sell Dack?Unless stupid money is offered then it would make absolutely no sense.Talk of 3 million and I don't see Venkys accepting that promotion is worth far more.When you say rumours do you mean some Twitter chatty chatter from people looking for attention or from credible sources?

No not from Twitter or Facebook 

Just like why did they sell Hanley etc we've been there before... If a firm substantial bid is made he'll be made out to be orchestrating a move and he'll be off.. As for DG remember he's on big wages and his contract hasn't long to go so could go either way that if a bid is made 

Championship clubs are always going to look at sides on a roll in league one and see if anyone can be transitioned into their sides 

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The Indians might just look at a massive profit to be made in a short period of time with Dack. Also Graham is out of contract in six months and they might see getting a fee for him as good business. It depends who they listen to most I think. Mowbray would argue from a footballing point of view but the likes of Pasha and Cheston would come at it purely from a business/cash flow perspective.

The last seven years have taught me that you can't second guess these idiots.

I could only see Dack moving if an huge offer is made.  I am talking £5m or more , and to be honest at that money I'd be tempted too , Graham on the other hand I could see leaving , but Mowbray would have to have a replacement lined up or "in the building" PNE have signed Billy Bodin from Bristol Rovers , which shows Championship clubs are looking in this division for players  

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

And if they flog Mulgrew and Dack... will you say "enough is enough" ?

Or will you wave your Mowbray flag and shake your Waggott rattle and tell us all the season ends in May so trust the Raos and get behind the lads FFS ?

Why would he say "enough is enough"?  You support a club not a particular player, manager or owner.  If I'd walked away every time the club cashed in on a good player I'd have stopped supporting them fifty-odd years ago!  Mowbray didn't have to sell in the summer and I doubt he will be asked to sell anyone at this stage.  Clearly, if we miss out on promotion it will be a different matter and I would suspect that the likes of Dack and Mulgrew would want to move on at that point.  However, at the moment I would think it more likely that a player or two will come in rather than go out.  The only doubt I would have - apart from fringe players - is regard to Graham - with six months of his contract to run any serious money offer would have to be weighed up very carefully.  Personally, I would want Graham to stay as he is the only striker we have who can hold the ball up and in the box he is still a quality finisher.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

There you are Phil replied back to you before. 

The info was on twitter, Sky Sports News and Nixon all reported it. 

Even the Chokers wouldn't be daft enough to accept a " pocket money " offer like that. Sheffield Weds were taking the p-/s there. Nobody in their right mind would have accepted that, it's the sort of speculative offer you'd make for a non-league player. I suspect things may have been different if the bid would have been in the £2m  region which would have been realistic given the fact he was  keeping a £4m player out of the Scotland team at that moment.

I cannot see Dack leaving. 

I could see Graham leaving, and, what's more, for the right money it makes a lot of sense. 

We have shown that we can put out a good team without him, in fact, he isn't necessarily in our best 11, and I have doubts as to whether he would be useful in the Championship. 

He's a high earner, getting older, who isn't vital to the cause in the way that Mulgrew is. 

I would rather that we hold tight and keep the same team for the rest of the season (with the possible addition of another winger), but if good money is offered for Graham I wouldn't be overly upset. 

When Bowyer was doing his business with Cairney, Evans, Marshall, Gestede, Duffy etc. it seems he got permission to spend some  money on those players on the basis they were all young with plenty of scope for improvement and to increase in fees.

I believe that is the reason Venkys authorised a fairly limited amount of expenditure on those lads, because they came to a business decision that even if just one of them turned out alright that they would get their money back, and boy did they do that as they stripped the first team bare of quality between 2015 and 2016.

As it turned out Bowyer did the business, because not just one but 4 of those 5 rocketed in value. Cairney went from a few hundred grand from Hull to multi millions to Fulham. Marshall went from a million at most from Leicester to at least that again to Wolves despite his contract running down, Duffy from a few hundred grand to millions to Brighton and probably to top the lot Gestede from a nonentity at Cardiff to millions to Premier League Villa.

Nothing wrong with having one eye on the finances when targeting players, aiming for ones who will become assets with value, but when your sole motive is to rake in some additional cash with scant regard to the football side of things then problems develop, as we all know they did here.

Nothing wrong with selling your better players when the money is too good to turn down or when genuinely bigger/better clubs come along, providing that it is done methodically, with money reinvested, efforts made to and keep the player in question etc. Burnley have, unfortunately, got that process down to a fine art, as did we 10 years ago, when we would reluctantly let a decent player go for big money from time to time but then use that cash to improve the squad and build again.

That isn't at all what has happened at this club so lets forget that as being the agenda.

Flog whoever we can to whoever we can, whenever we can, without any concern for the damage done to the squad and long term health of the club.

That's why we're in this league, why Bowyer lost his way, why Lambert didn't hang around and why we were in the market for a manager of Coyles 'calibre'.

If Dack, Samuel etc. were signed to get us promoted and that is the sole aim here then fair enough I'd expect them to be retained. If however Madame has embarked on another 'backing her manager' process with a view to raking in big profits on a few sales then brace yourselves for more of it.

Fortunately it seems Mowbray's opinions had some weight last summer and it might be too early to start undermining him. They gave Bowyer a couple of seasons before doing that.

56 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The Indians might just look at a massive profit to be made in a short period of time with Dack. Also Graham is out of contract in six months and they might see getting a fee for him as good business. It depends who they listen to most I think. Mowbray would argue from a footballing point of view but the likes of Pasha and Cheston would come at it purely from a business/cash flow perspective.

The last seven years have taught me that you can't second guess these idiots.

Mowbray and Venkys might be willing to listen to offers for Graham but I honestly don't see any club being willing to take on his wage after a stop start season.

With Dack in my opinion it would have to be silly money for them to accept.I don't see championship clubs paying it for him yet.He has had a good season and has potential but he hasn't played above league 1.He was available relatively cheap in the summer and nobody from a higher division took a chance on him

I remember the 'links' of Graham to QPR shortly before the transfer window closed in the summer. Always thought that was a bit odd and was never likely to actually happen, but someone somewhere was pushing it as a possibility, whether that be someone 'in the know' who was aware we were trying to sell him or an agent keen to get him a move. Then it went quiet and Feeney was moved on instead to Cardiff.

It may be the case that Graham has been 'on the list' of players they have been looking to move on since the summer and like Feeney they were offering him around various Championship clubs for sale. Would be a risk to allow any regulars to depart in January, particularly upfront where we are without doubt short on numbers and when Graham just appears to be hitting some form.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Why would he say "enough is enough"?  You support a club not a particular player, manager or owner.  If I'd walked away every time the club cashed in on a good player I'd have stopped supporting them fifty-odd years ago!  

This is not cashing in on a good player. We've all seen that at far bigger clubs than ours. This would be about money only. Take what you can while you can and to heck with promotion or even staying at a decent level in the division were in. We've sunk before and will sink again if sales aren't balanced with football knowledge and recruitment.

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I cannot see Dack leaving. 

I could see Graham leaving, and, what's more, for the right money it makes a lot of sense. 

We have shown that we can put out a good team without him, in fact, he isn't necessarily in our best 11, and I have doubts as to whether he would be useful in the Championship. 

He's a high earner, getting older, who isn't vital to the cause in the way that Mulgrew is. 

I would rather that we hold tight and keep the same team for the rest of the season (with the possible addition of another winger), but if good money is offered for Graham I wouldn't be overly upset. 

He is vital, hes by far our best striker. And no ones going to pay a decent fee anyway. Keep him until his contract ends.

I think they might hold their nerve this window, maybe even do a few modest incoming deals as they know a good sale or two in summer will easily cover it. Expect Lenihen to be shoehorned in wherever at all costs once he's fit ;)

The summer and next season will be the ice breaker imo so we simply MUST get promoted !

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Rovers trying to make Downings loan a permanent.

Isn't he out of contract in the summer ?? Surely makes more sense to wait til the summer and pick him up on a free ?? Unless MK Dons have had a bid from someone else and its forced our hand a bit 

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Why would he say "enough is enough"?  You support a club not a particular player, manager or owner.  If I'd walked away every time the club cashed in on a good player I'd have stopped supporting them fifty-odd years ago!  

I think you are missing the point. Nobody needs to 'walk away' and we all understand how football clubs work.  You are not the only one who has been following rovers for many years. 

Enough is enough refers to the antics of the current owners showing complete disrespect for our club.

12 minutes ago, BRFCBOY said:

Isn't he out of contract in the summer ?? Surely makes more sense to wait til the summer and pick him up on a free ?? Unless MK Dons have had a bid from someone else and its forced our hand a bit 

Jesus,can we actually sign anyone without fans complaining about some aspect of the deal or the player themselves? 

Archived