BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

I hope Downing is on top of the other 2 offers as he's already here and would not be strengthening.    OK at this level.  Not sure he would cut it in the championship.   Only worth signing as he is less of a liability than Ward.  As somebody pointed out,  he would be free in summer.  We would also know which league we are in by then! 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gumboots said:

This is not cashing in on a good player. We've all seen that at far bigger clubs than ours. This would be about money only. Take what you can while you can and to heck with promotion or even staying at a decent level in the division were in. We've sunk before and will sink again if sales aren't balanced with football knowledge and recruitment.

It's not the first time that has happened at this club.  Many of us remember players leaving in the 1960s when any reasonable offer was rarely refused - we didn't need foreign ownership to bring that policy to Ewood.  I can still remember being distraught when Fred Pickering was sold to Everton - a club actually challenging us for the First Division title.  In many ways watching Venkys ownership of the club has been like watching history repeat itself in terms of selling players and dropping from the top flight to the Third Division.

Mowbray on ins and outs

Sounds like:

1. Mowbray really isn't bothered about Feeney - an unwanted man at the club. If Feeney doesn't go back to Cardiff on loan, he'll end up somewhere else in some capacity - anywhere other than here.
  2. Downing signing to made permanent in this window.
  3. Bell deal is going to happen (Mowbray says he wants competition for Williams' position).

On the face of it, I'm surprised that we're looking at the left-back position, because I think Williams had done well there this season, but perhaps it's not the left-back position at all, but the left wing-back position. Maybe Bell is a better fit for that position than Williams. But then what about the right side?

If there's one issue with our system under Mowbray's 4-4-2 this season, it's that we struggle to break down defensive teams. Maybe Mowbray thinks that the only way to do this is with a 3-5-2, with extra bodies going forward in unconventional positions to open up their defence more.

27 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It's not the first time that has happened at this club.  Many of us remember players leaving in the 1960s when any reasonable offer was rarely refused - we didn't need foreign ownership to bring that policy to Ewood.  I can still remember being distraught when Fred Pickering was sold to Everton - a club actually challenging us for the First Division title.  In many ways watching Venkys ownership of the club has been like watching history repeat itself in terms of selling players and dropping from the top flight to the Third Division.

Nothing like the same circumstances, wake up and stop peddling such garbage!

In the 60s, 70s and 80s it was all about attendances as this was the means to income. In the 90s and beyond it's all about TV money, which is why you can see the likes of Bournemouth with their 10k gates competing in the EPL.

May just be me, and granted he’s pretty average, but I’d be keeping Feeney until we have a replacement on board. He’s the only player that we’d have with a bit of pace, so seems silly to try and clear him out until we have somebody on board. Who is going to play on the flank right now other than Bennett and Conway with Chapman and Antonsson injured?

Just now, Boz said:

Nothing like the same circumstances, wake up and stop peddling such garbage!

In the 60s, 70s and 80s it was all about attendances as this was the means to income. In the 90s and beyond it's all about TV money, which is why you can see the likes of Bournemouth with their 10k gates competing in the EPL.

It isn't garbage, but simply an observation about the way that patterns seem to repeat in history. The reality is that there is nothing new under the sun, and the debacle we have witnessed in recent years under the witless wastrels of Pune has very similar undertones to the actions taken by previous owners of Blackburn Rovers.

Selling Pickering was probably the most damaging move the club has ever made in my time. It set us on the path to roughly were we are now in the pyramid of football.  From what Fred has subsequently said it would have only taken a relatively small increase in wages to get him to stay. No agents spreading their poison in those days.

It was gutting to see him get a hat trick in his first game for Everton as it was to see him back at Ewood a week or two later in another clubs colours knowing just what a great player he was on the way to being. Unfortunately he suffered a serious knee injury at Everton a few years later and he never reached the heights I thought he would. The way he was going before the injury he was a cert for the 1966 World Cup squad and who knows, it could have been Fred not Geoff Hurst who got that famous hat trick.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray on ins and outs

Sounds like:

1. Mowbray really isn't bothered about Feeney - an unwanted man at the club. If Feeney doesn't go back to Cardiff on loan, he'll end up somewhere else in some capacity - anywhere other than here.
  3. Bell deal is going to happen (Mowbray says he wants competition for Williams' position).

On the face of it, I'm surprised that we're looking at the left-back position, because I think Williams had done well there this season, but perhaps it's not the left-back position at all, but the left wing-back position. Maybe Bell is a better fit for that position than Williams. But then what about the right side?

If there's one issue with our system under Mowbray's 4-4-2 this season, it's that we struggle to break down defensive teams. Maybe Mowbray thinks that the only way to do this is with a 3-5-2, with extra bodies going forward in unconventional positions to open up their defence more.

You can't expect the full backs we've got at the club at the moment to play as wing backs as we've already found out. Nyambe has got the pace but can't really cross a good ball and Williams can cross a ball but lacks the real pace to get up and down. What Caddis and Hart  are good at I'm not quite sure.

48 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Which 'billionaires' owned Rovers in the 60's ?

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Fred has subsequently said it would have only taken a relatively small increase in wages to get him to stay

I witnessed many arguments with Fred and Rovers supporters  in the mid-nineties regarding him leaving , all of it after a few beers, he always answered the questions but just wanted a peaceful night out with his wife 

28 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray on ins and outs

Sounds like:

We desperately need a LB, currently our weakest position.

Although I do know him, Ben Whiteman at Doncaster would be perfect for us. Hes on loan from Sheff Utd, brought up at Man Utd. Goalscoring midfielder, good passer. Better than the tripe we have now

Ben scored again today. 

Last minute equaliser for Donny 

Recalled back to Sheffield United today. We should be all over this lad. Local and better than any of our central midfield 

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

May just be me, and granted he’s pretty average, but I’d be keeping Feeney until we have a replacement on board. He’s the only player that we’d have with a bit of pace, so seems silly to try and clear him out until we have somebody on board. Who is going to play on the flank right now other than Bennett and Conway with Chapman and Antonsson injured?

I'd agree on this. I'd be holding onto Feeney until the end of the window at the moment. We are painfully short out wide currently and I know he's been gash for us previously but he's doing a job for play-off championship team so he can probably do a job for us. Also has pace which we had none of in the 11 at Rotherham.

Let him go out on loan again when we've got replacements in.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I'd agree on this. I'd be holding onto Feeney until the end of the window at the moment. We are painfully short out wide currently and I know he's been gash for us previously but he's doing a job for play-off championship team so he can probably do a job for us. Also has pace which we had none of in the 11 at Rotherham.

Let him go out on loan again when we've got replacements in.

Kinda begs the question why our quickest player is out on loan and playing at a higher level......

id say he’s fallen out of favour on a personal level. He was a disgrace last season with visible signs of not trying. ( in my opinion)

10 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

I’m not entertaining this talk of wing backs myself he’s learnt from his mistake. 

Did you miss the end of the Rotherham game?

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Kinda begs the question why our quickest player is out on loan and playing at a higher level......

id say he’s fallen out of favour on a personal level. He was a disgrace last season with visible signs of not trying. ( in my opinion)

He was a disgrace the first time he was here but it didn't stop him being signed again. No idea what the question is but Liam "the flying winger" feeney isn't the answer

11 minutes ago, Garage Flower said:

If the two signings are Bell and Downing then that isn’t enough. We need wide midfielders! I’m not entertaining this talk of wing backs myself he’s learnt from his mistake. 

He hasn't said we will be only making two signings though?He said we have bids in for two players.That doesn't mean it will be the end of our business.

He has spoke openly that we are in need of a Chapman type so I will be very surprised if we don't see that type of player arrive either on loan or permanent. 

1 minute ago, Suhail Slayer said:

Any talk of strengthening the squad with quality players to get us into the top 2 and through the second half of the season ?

I haven't seen any as yet.

We are 3rd, dropping points and losing ground.

What has Feeney or Downing got to do with improving the consistency of the results in the second half of the season ?

Yep,Bell and Gallagher mentioned a page or two back. 

Nobody has said we are going to have Feeney back as a first teamer. 

Signing Downing has plenty to do with consistency as he is our starting centre half. 

What names would you like us to be linked with? 

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

The difference is that selling our best players in the past was probably done out of necessity and with the best interests of the club in mind.

I believe all our previous owners / chairmen from that period were involved with Rovers because they loved the club. All actions taken were for the good of the club.

You just cannot compare the 1960s with what has happened recently and is likely to happen again under Venky's. History is not repeating itself. 

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You mean the 5 minutes when Ward was brought on? Hardly a return to wing backs,more throwing an extra centre half on. 

Pegged us back too far and think it cost us two points. Our players seem to be unfamiliar with that system, and it has shown every time he's tried it - whether it's 90 minutes, or 5 minutes.

Maybe if we had the players to use that system, he'll do it. We will see, but hopefully it'll fare better than it has done so far. We need the right players to play that system, and we currently don't.

Would be staggered to see the likes of Mulgrew, Dack leave unless it's for a ridiculous offer unless the Raos have holed their financial buckets!!!  However, after having said that, there is a little bit of noise about that something is afoot with the Raos.

If we sign Bell it's because Mowbray's other left back signing (Hart) is cr@p as some of us thought/said at the time he was signed.

Would hold fire on Downing - steady at this level but, IMV, would be found wanting in Championship.

As said before, I'd settle for one stonking signing (pacey winger with a goal threat) who would make a real difference.

Archived