BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d say when you’re taken to a club as a young lad, come through their academy and play for them you’d become a fan myself. Lowe had many, many faults but you couldn’t fault his commitment on the pitch. Fair enough he didn’t fancy sticking around after our relegation but I think all parties would have agreed it was best to move on at that point.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw Lowe play I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He had nothing. Not one thing that you need to succeed in pro football. Pace, strength, close control, tackling ability, heading ability, passing ability, the ability to read the play. Not one of those things did he have, I was left scratching my head !

Spot on. And did you see him improve in any of those traits throughout his time here? I imagine not. 

Robbie Savage, Paul Dickov - 2 guys who had limited technical ability, but they always, always put in a bloody hard shift in a blue and white shirt. Chased, harried, bullied the opposition even. I'm sure there are numerous examples, just those 2 popped into my head. People saying Lowe worked hard. Don't make me laugh! Not a patch on those model pros. 

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw Lowe play I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He had nothing. Not one thing that you need to succeed in pro football. Pace, strength, close control, tackling ability, heading ability, passing ability, the ability to read the play. Not one of those things did he have, I was left scratching my head !

He sums up everything that is wrong with the British academy system, we prioritise a 'hardworker' over technical talent. There will be hundreds of players that get released from clubs each year who have more talent in their little toe than Jason Lowe has in his whole body, yet because Lowe was probably first on the training ground and last off it, and did his fair share of sucking up to the coaches (see his friendship with Eric Kinder), he was one of the few that made it.

57 minutes ago, LDRover said:

There's some pond life on the FB page who think it's a good deal though saying stuff like 'he works hard', 'he cares', he's a rovers fan through and through'. You know, all the same attributes that we could claim to have too.

‘Pond life’ because some of us have a differing view to you. Yeah good one.

i was critical of Lowe in the last couple of years in terms of some of his performances. I just don’t get the hatred towards a local lad who came through the academy and gave his all in his 170 odd appearances. Comments such as handing season tickets back in are ridiculous. I could understand the hatred to some of the leaches like Best, Orr, Murphy etc but Lowe isn’t in that bracket. He cared. 

On a footballing note I genuinely believe he’d do a good job at right back in this league. He held his own at right back in the premier league only a few years ago. He would have a point to prove. Providing his wages are relatively cheap id be one of the pond life who would welcome him back!

Just now, david brent said:

‘Pond life’ because some of us have a differing view to you. Yeah good one.

i was critical of Lowe in the last couple of years in terms of some of his performances. I just don’t get the hatred towards a local lad who came through the academy and gave his all in his 170 odd appearances. Comments such as handing season tickets back in are ridiculous. I could understand the hatred to some of the leaches like Best, Orr, Murphy etc but Lowe isn’t in that bracket. He cared. 

On a footballing note I genuinely believe he’d do a good job at right back in this league. He held his own at right back in the premier league only a few years ago. He would have a point to prove. Providing his wages are relatively cheap id be one of the pond life who would welcome him back!

To be fair he leeched the best part of a million quid out of us in wages in that 7 years, not bad for a bloke that cares and can run. Plus we got sod all for him when he left as nobody wanted him. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Armstrong on the face of it would be an excellent back up to Graham.

Bell on the face of it would be a good alternative to Williams.

However, neither of these solve our main problem, our lack of pacy genuine wingers. We need one or two of these, preferably two before anyone else.

That said, all rumour. 

Armstrong wouldnt be a back up. Hes a goal scorer. Might be change of formation to 3-5-2 with Bennett and Bell wing backs and Dack in 10 role behind 2 strikers of Armstrong, Samuel, Graham and Nuttall. 

Antonsson injury maybe alot worst?

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

No thanks. 

3 hours ago, Blue n whites said:

I said earlier in this thread a boy from hearts called walker was talking to us. Been told its dead and he is going wigan tomorrow.  

Would have very decent signing

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

In his interview about Harper going back to West Bromwich Mowbray pretty much said he wasn't good enough and was stifling the progress of our own youngsters. And then we are linked with one of the most talentless players in my time watching Rovers. Sometimes you just couldn't make it up.

Its only a link. Dont forget that. No to Lowe

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://the72.co.uk/95824/blackburn-rovers-set-secure-impressive-loan-move-premier-league-striker/

Adam Armstrong, who bagged a load when at Coventry with Mowbray, linked again.

J-Lo + ToMo = ProMo

Would good loan signing

56 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I'd take him on no more than 3k per week

Thats 12k a month. £144k pa. 

Just to put that in perpective.

Our wage bill is 140% of turnover ( or thereabouts). 

On what planet would it be a good idea to offer a player with the ability of JL to offer 3k a week. Unbelieveable. 

If that is in ANY way defensible then football is a gonner. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong wouldnt be a back up. Hes a goal scorer. Might be change of formation to 3-5-2 with Bennett and Bell wing backs and Dack in 10 role behind 2 strikers of Armstrong, Samuel, Graham and Nuttall. 

Antonsson injury maybe alot worst?

No thanks. 

Would have very decent signing

Its only a link. Dont forget that. No to Lowe

Would good loan signing

He said today Antonsson is out for 2 to 3 weeks. That said, the wing back experiment should be cast aside. You dont randomly change your formation when youve been doing pretty well. Graham and Dack work well together, Armstrong and Samuel would be good back up.

Regarding the link, you say that but youve already put Armstrong and Bell in a potential new formation and they are links too. 

Fair to say that Lowe would not only massive decrease our chances on the pitch but bring a lot of ill feeling into the ground in general. Would remove alot of goodwill towards Mowbray too. Horrendous move from every aspect.

29 minutes ago, toogs said:

Thats 12k a month. £144k pa. 

Just to put that in perpective.

Our wage bill is 140% of turnover ( or thereabouts). 

On what planet would it be a good idea to offer a player with the ability of JL to offer 3k a week. Unbelieveable. 

If that is in ANY way defensible then football is a gonner. 

Sorry to be pedantic but its actually £13k per month & £156k per year, 3k x 52 divided by 12 sorry lol

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair to say that Lowe would not only massive decrease our chances on the pitch but bring a lot of ill feeling into the ground in general. Would remove alot of goodwill towards Mowbray too. Horrendous move from every aspect.

This is the bit that makes the least sense, what's the point of pissing off a fanbase that seems to be finally starting to heal after all the shit we've been through? One thing I will say about Mowbray is that he's a good man and I hope he seriously reconsiders this move after looking at the reaction to the rumour.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don’t understand why bringing back a decent player who can cover multiple positions is going to massively decrease our chances on the pitch? Sounds a bit OTT

Personally, id rather we didn’t re-sign old players, but if we are talking a 6 month loan as a backup, I’d consider it a decent option.

Ill feeling? Are the majority of Rovers fans likely to get angry, boo and shout if JL is loaned and included in a squad? I very much doubt it, I’m sure that would depend on his performance. I’ve never quite understood the stick he gets, overall I never rated him as a “good”’player but there are far worse examples in our recent history. Lad never had an attacking bone in his body, but I always felt he could pass, read a game, immensely fit, works really hard. Probably why he didn’t immediately sink at RB in the prem.

Trouble is, he never got any better. The hangers on obviously pushed the likes of Lowe, Henley, Jake Kean et al for reasons beyond their “ability”.

Whilst I think many posts are completely ridiculous in the scale of their reactions, I’d also say skip this one, Tone.

Anyway...Where is this new pacy winger..!

Seriously think I'm finished with Rovers if Lowe returns.

IMV, one of the most overrated and useless players ever to wear our shirt in over 5 decades of watching Rovers.

No club of note wanted him and Brum have found him out pdq.

Just sling it boyo.

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He said today Antonsson is out for 2 to 3 weeks. That said, the wing back experiment should be cast aside. You dont randomly change your formation when youve been doing pretty well. Graham and Dack work well together, Armstrong and Samuel would be good back up.

Regarding the link, you say that but youve already put Armstrong and Bell in a potential new formation and they are links too. 

Armstrong isnt going to be coming here to be a back up is he? 

Hes a goalscorer. 

Armstrong's story is from Newcastle sports reporters. So they have must have some basics to the story

Bell story is from Sky Sports reporter and Nixon back this up

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Seriously think I'm finished with Rovers if Lowe returns.

IMV, one of the most overrated and useless players ever to wear our shirt in over 5 decades of watching Rovers.

No club of note wanted him and Brum have found him out pdq.

Just sling it boyo.

To be fair was he even overrated? Lol think most thought he was shit when he started to play midfield 

If he has friends in high places at Ewood or involved there then there is a good chance he'll be crawling back and no doubt to be first on the team sheet every week as well. Something wasn't right there at all whether it was iffy or not and putting all that aside there just isn't a need for him unless he's forging a new career at right back but how long will that last once his foot gets stamped on again ?

Leave well alone unless you want the groans to return.

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

He sums up everything that is wrong with the British academy system, we prioritise a 'hardworker' over technical talent. There will be hundreds of players that get released from clubs each year who have more talent in their little toe than Jason Lowe has in his whole body, yet because Lowe was probably first on the training ground and last off it, and did his fair share of sucking up to the coaches (see his friendship with Eric Kinder), he was one of the few that made it.

You are spot on my friend 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I don’t understand why bringing back a decent player who can cover multiple positions is going to massively decrease our chances on the pitch?

Wow, no, that genuinely sounds like a great idea. We should do that. Instead of signing Lowe.

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wow, no, that genuinely sounds like a great idea. We should do that. Instead of signing Lowe.

To be fair, Lowe is pretty decent at breaking up attacking play. The trouble is it’s Rovers attacks.

We are crying out for pace and then there is talk about a player who slows everything down to a crawl in his attempts to keep the ball in our own half. He’s pretty much The Anti-Dack.

If he was to come back it would just prove what an absolute failure he is. He’s never had a transfer fee in his career and can’t get a gig anywhere but here. How could our esteemed former captain return and not cause issues within the dressing room?

The transfer links one week into this window have been quite bleak. Better players linked with other clubs and average-to-poor players linked with us (a club wanting promotion apparently). Maybe we are being conditioned to accept a no-change window as a successful one?

8 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t understand why bringing back a decent player who can cover multiple positions is going to massively decrease our chances on the pitch? Sounds a bit OTT

Personally, id rather we didn’t re-sign old players, but if we are talking a 6 month loan as a backup, I’d consider it a decent option.

Ill feeling? Are the majority of Rovers fans likely to get angry, boo and shout if JL is loaned and included in a squad? I very much doubt it, I’m sure that would depend on his performance. I’ve never quite understood the stick he gets, overall I never rated him as a “good”’player but there are far worse examples in our recent history. Lad never had an attacking bone in his body, but I always felt he could pass, read a game, immensely fit, works really hard. Probably why he didn’t immediately sink at RB in the prem.

Trouble is, he never got any better. The hangers on obviously pushed the likes of Lowe, Henley, Jake Kean et al for reasons beyond their “ability”.

Whilst I think many posts are completely ridiculous in the scale of their reactions, I’d also say skip this one, Tone.

Anyway...Where is this new pacy winger..!

I was waiting for this... pretty much exactly what I thought you'd say, clueless.

Archived