BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The transfer links one week into this window have been quite bleak. Better players linked with other clubs and average-to-poor players linked with us (a club wanting promotion apparently). Maybe we are being conditioned to accept a no-change window as a successful one?

So Adam Armstrong is a poor player? Really?

Who was you expecting us to be link with? Can you provide potential names? 

Maybe some of the players Mowbray are after aint being leaked so not in the public domain?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe some of the players Mowbray are after aint being leaked so not in the public domain?

Keep on jogging on.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Might be a reasonable question if he was getting paid thousands of pounds to come up with potential names, but until then it isn't.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong decent shout especially with his Coventry goals and Mowbray still failed  but unfortunately did zilch at Bolton.. No disrespect but Rovers as a club should be aiming higher.. As for Jason Lowe Wtf he'd be so anti Dack breaking up and slowing down the play.. Now the two above mentioned can't get into two sides currently occupying the relegation zone in the championship I think that tells its own story.. We need a Chapman replacement and someone to complement Smallwood and go for broke for promotion 

2 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Might be a reasonable question if he was getting paid thousands of pounds to come up with potential names, but until then it isn't.

What anyone on here comes up with is irrelevant it's up to venkys and their cohorts at the end of the day even Mowbray can come up with names but at the end of the day they have to be ratified 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

To be fair, Lowe is pretty decent at breaking up attacking play. The trouble is it’s Rovers attacks.

We are crying out for pace and then there is talk about a player who slows everything down to a crawl in his attempts to keep the ball in our own half. He’s pretty much The Anti-Dack.

If he was to come back it would just prove what an absolute failure he is. He’s never had a transfer fee in his career and can’t get a gig anywhere but here. How could our esteemed former captain return and not cause issues within the dressing room?

The transfer links one week into this window have been quite bleak. Better players linked with other clubs and average-to-poor players linked with us (a club wanting promotion apparently). Maybe we are being conditioned to accept a no-change window as a successful one?

I believe that we are being 'conditioned' to there being little meaningful incomings. Existing loan conversions excluded.

Mowbray saying how difficult it is to do deals, although I see other clubs are succeeding, suggesting loans may have to be used, dangling the loan from the PL again, no mention in the recent article re  'pace' but ok it's a general overview from TM.

It will just drag on till DDay.

Meanwhile on possible outgoings TM has said no need to sell anyone. We shall see.......

Lowe - I live in hope it was a bad dream in which some twxt was being very very nasty. The LT / RL I mean.

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wow, no, that genuinely sounds like a great idea. We should do that. Instead of signing Lowe.

I’m sure the lower leagues are chocked full of free 20 something year old players, with the correct attitude, a good fitness level, experience of 100+ games experience at a higher level and the ability to play a couple of positions. 

If you’d quoted the whole post, you’d be showing I actually would prefer we didn’t sign JL.

Besides, despite the scapegoat crew sticking their beaks in- id still trust TM’s decision making over their internet rants.

58 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I was waiting for this... pretty much exactly what I thought you'd say, clueless.

I’m clueless, yet you think the backlash on here and twitter might or should change the managers mind on a transfer.

The term “thick as mince” comes to mind.

In the next couple of weeks we are going to lose Smallwood for two games when he picks up his tenth yellow card. Given the fragility of Evans and Mowbray's reluctance to start Tomlinson the Lowe link doesn't surprise me and could have legs. Personally I don't think he should be near our club again and that there are lots of players out there in the lower/non leagues who would be better.

However this is down to Mowbray and his (so far) hit and miss transfer policy.

There may be nothing in the Lowe rumour. It was one Tweet from one journalist, and came across as a bit of putting 2 and 2 together, and making 5. I'm not sure Bayes has said anything of substance to back it up.

7 hours ago, savage90 said:

I'm surprised we didn't try to bring Connor Mahoney in on loan after selling him. 0 appearances yet for Bournemouth.

Not for me thanks. Not sure why the obsession with him. Rarely did he look to me like good enough for the first team. Many weeks didn't even stand out for the u21S. Managed to get into the senior squad whilst we were sinking last year but didn't do enough to want him back.

He made his bed with Bournemouth, hardly surprising he can't make a do there either.

5 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

There may be nothing in the Lowe rumour. It was one Tweet from one journalist, and came across as a bit of putting 2 and 2 together, and making 5. I'm not sure Bayes has said anything of substance to back it up.

Is Bayes even a 'journalist'? I'd put him down as a radio presenter/reporter. Doubt he has any contacts beyond what he is fed from the club just like the Telegraph. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Mowbray was lining Lowe up at this point and suspect more likely is Bayes is merely throwing out a suggestion based on Mowbray's comments last summer and Lowe's lack of action at Big Club.

30 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m clueless, yet you think the backlash on here and twitter might or should change the managers mind on a transfer.

The term “thick as mince” comes to mind.

Really? People that have watched Rovers for decades shouldn't be listened to? Paying customers shouldn't be listened to?  If the fans had been properly listened to in the last 7 years, we wouldn't be where we are now. We wouldn't have sacked Allardyce, we wouldn't have appointed Kean, we would have sacked Kean, we'd have got rid of Jason Lowe, we wouldn't have appointed Coyle, we wouldn't have made Jason Lowe our captain, and we'd have sacked Coyle earlier. But no, we shouldn't get a say. Futhermore, to piss off the fans at a time when there is a sense of positivity around the place would be suicidal from Mowbray, as he'd know if he listened to the fans. It wouldn't even surprise me if the rumour was put out to gauge the feeling amongst the fans.

Fans are the most important part of any club yet you think they shouldn't be listened to, beggar's belief.

41 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I believe that we are being 'conditioned' to there being little meaningful incomings. Existing loan conversions excluded.

Mowbray saying how difficult it is to do deals, although I see other clubs are succeeding, suggesting loans may have to be used, dangling the loan from the PL again, no mention in the recent article re  'pace' but ok it's a general overview from TM.

It will just drag on till DDay.

Meanwhile on possible outgoings TM has said no need to sell anyone. We shall see.......

Lowe - I live in hope it was a bad dream in which some twxt was being very very nasty. The LT / RL I mean.

Think you're spot on, "we've gone from two bids made and confident of making signings" to now "if we don't sign anyone, we will try some loans" - here we go back on the venky road to nowhere

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In the next couple of weeks we are going to lose Smallwood for two games when he picks up his tenth yellow card. Given the fragility of Evans and Mowbray's reluctance to start Tomlinson the Lowe link doesn't surprise me and could have legs. Personally I don't think he should be near our club again and that there are lots of players out there in the lower/non leagues who would be better.

However this is down to Mowbray and his (so far) hit and miss transfer policy.

Might help if we signed a midfielder who could get past the half way line, or was allowed to get past the half way line.

If Mowbray has decided he doesn't want his midfielders to do that and is looking for additions then Lowe might be his man. Someone who never looks forward, never passes forward and never runs towards the opposition goal.

Smallwood one who at the start of the season was getting forward and on the end of things (his run and goal at Rochdale the clear example). Seems he has been instructed not to bother with that any more as I can't remember the last time he got into an advanced position.

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

Really? People that have watched Rovers for decades shouldn't be listened to? Paying customers shouldn't be listened to?  If the fans had been properly listened to in the last 7 years, we wouldn't be where we are now. We wouldn't have sacked Allardyce, we wouldn't have appointed Kean, we would have sacked Kean, we'd have got rid of Jason Lowe, we wouldn't have appointed Coyle, we wouldn't have made Jason Lowe our captain, and we'd have sacked Coyle earlier. But no, we shouldn't get a say. Futhermore, to piss off the fans at a time when there is a sense of positivity around the place would be suicidal from Mowbray, as he'd know if he listened to the fans. It wouldn't even surprise me if the rumour was put out to gauge the feeling amongst the fans.

Fans are the most important part of any club yet you think they shouldn't be listened to, beggar's belief.

It was only last week you said the average football fan was "utterly clueless" and yet you now want the club to be run by the views of those you describe as utterly clueless?  I thought we had that already with the present owners.  

Just now, JHRover said:

If Mowbray has decided he doesn't want his midfielders to do that and is looking for additions then Lowe might be his man. Someone who never looks forward, never passes forward and never runs towards the opposition goal.

If this is the case do we actually want promotion.. Well the fans certainly do and given the precarious financial position the club certainly needs it.. But do certain let's say carpet baggers... 

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

People that have watched Rovers for decades shouldn't be listened to?

Since your speciality doesn't seem to lie in how long people have been Rovers fans, or if they even are fans, your question is null and void. ^_^

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Au contraire!

For once I can call myself ITK as I heard it from the horses mouth...

Still.. a bit different than perusing the message boards for opinions on players to sign isn’t it?

8 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I think I’ve completely underestimated just how stupid you are.

The day any professional football club starts to utilise the opinions of unpaid and unqualified morons like yourself, is the day that I stop watching football.

If the club had followed your wishes, we would have sacked TM in August. You talk about Big Sam as (in or out) if it wasn’t the constant debate for 18 months prior to him leaving. I still remember the rapturous celebrations on here and elsewhere “finally we can play football again” when he was sacked. 

So please, grow up. You can’t accept my opinion that I can see cons but also some pro’s in signing an ex midfielder on loan, I can’t accept the sensationalist scandal mongery that almost suggests “pitchforks” if we signed the same lad.

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Might help if we signed a midfielder who could get past the half way line, or was allowed to get past the half way line.

Smallwood one who at the start of the season was getting forward and on the end of things (his run and goal at Rochdale the clear example). Seems he has been instructed not to bother with that any more as I can't remember the last time he got into an advanced position.

That's the point that's been missed. Neither Whittingham or Evans ever get forward and don't have the legs to protect the back four. Smallwood is the only one capable of doing both so he often does the work of two men, driving the team on and protecting the back four.   So we need someone to help him. Lowe wouldn't be my choice because he looks a confused man with the ball at his feet BUT he is mobile, and he does know how to protect the back four (both Mowbray and Bowyer made a point of mentioning this). Lowe might also provide some much needed ability to defend a corner and set-piece. Evans and Whittingham have contributed the square root of frig all this season. Lowe literally couldn't contribute any less.

Armstrong could be a good signing in the Antonnson role and would be a better finisher from what I've seen. He's been playing left midfield for Bolton, he would be playing a bit further forward for us. Sharpe confirmed in the LT that we were in for him in the summer. Bell is a confirmed target in the LT for the 1st time, with Sharpe finally admitting we are in talks. If it's in the LT or floated as a 'possible' signing then, like in the summer, it means it's true because Sharpe will get it from the club. He also mentioned Bodin and that lad from Plymouth yesterday who scored that 25 yarder against us. Bodins gone to the Nobbers but you can bet there's interest in the Plymouth lad.

Archived