SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, savage90 said:

I'm surprised we didn't try to bring Connor Mahoney in on loan after selling him. 0 appearances yet for Bournemouth.

he must have improved playing in a lower quality u21 football another example of moving for the money.

28 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Is Bayes even a 'journalist'? I'd put him down as a radio presenter/reporter. Doubt he has any contacts beyond what he is fed from the club just like the Telegraph. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Mowbray was lining Lowe up at this point and suspect more likely is Bayes is merely throwing out a suggestion based on Mowbray's comments last summer and Lowe's lack of action at Big Club.

Radio presenters and reporters are journalists. 

19 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

It was only last week you said the average football fan was "utterly clueless" and yet you now want the club to be run by the views of those you describe as utterly clueless?  I thought we had that already with the present owners.  

When the weight of opinion is as one sided as this, football fans are usually right. We can spot the obvious. It's the same with politics, most people are pretty clueless but when the weight of opinion is massively behind a certain thing, that thing is 99% of the time the correct decision.

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's the point that's been missed. Neither Whittingham or Evans ever get forward and don't have the legs to protect the back four. Smallwood is the only one capable of doing both so he often does the work of two men, driving the team on and protecting the back four.   So we need someone to help him. Lowe wouldn't be my choice because he looks a confused man with the ball at his feet BUT he is mobile, and he does know how to protect the back four (both Mowbray and Bowyer made a point of mentioning this). Lowe might also provide some much needed ability to defend a corner and set-piece. Evans and Whittingham have contributed the square root of frig all this season. Lowe literally couldn't contribute any less.

Armstrong could be a good signing in the Antonnson role and would be a better finisher from what I've seen. He's been playing left midfield for Bolton, he would be playing a bit further forward for us. Sharpe confirmed in the LT that we were in for him in the summer. Bell is a confirmed target in the LT for the 1st time, with Sharpe finally admitting we are in talks. If it's in the LT or floated as a 'possible' signing then, like in the summer, it means it's true because Sharpe will get it from the club. He also mentioned Bodin and that lad from Plymouth yesterday who scored that 25 yarder against us. Bodins gone to the Nobbers but you can bet there's interest in the Plymouth lad.

Disagree with the bold bits. Lowe is fantastically mobile but doesn't use it to appropriately protect the back 4 at all.

Imo he's basically a dog let loose on the pitch, but one that barks at the ball while running away from it and the players.

Smallwood is everything Lowe should've been, and Tomlinson and Hardcastle already look like being better than Lowe ever was imo. Just feel Lowe needs condemning to our history books.

Hell, I bet Gallagher would have more defensive nous tbh.

Agree with the non-Lowe part of your post though :)

7 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

When the weight of opinion is as one sided as this, football fans are usually right. We can spot the obvious. It's the same with politics, most people are pretty clueless but when the weight of opinion is massively behind a certain thing, that thing is 99% of the time the correct decision.

Nearly everybody on here thought Lambert was the second coming of Christ. He turned out to be anything but. The same people thought Bowyer was the anti-Christ. We've been relegated since he left, he's got a team promoted. Weight of opinion on here means zip.

However a poll would be ace........... J-lo- Yes or No? See to it mods. Less points, more polls;)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Nearly everybody on here thought Lambert was the second coming of Christ. He turned out to be anything but. The same people thought Bowyer was the anti-Christ. We've been relegated since he left, he's got a team promoted. Weight of opinion on here means zip.

However a poll would be ace........... J-lo- Yes or No? See to it mods. Less points, more polls;)

No thanks. Give the public a referendum and they come up with the wrong answer for the wrong reasons. 

Besides, a poll on here on Lowe is a foregone conclusion because "the weight of opinion is always correct". 

I hate how Lowe gets praise for "being mobile". He's a footballer, an athlete, of course he's mobile. It's all well and good having the lungs to run around the pitch more than anyone else but when those runs are as unproductive as his are it defeats the purpose. We have far better options than Jason Lowe both in our club and at other clubs that would be available to us.

Lowe is a backwards step. It's as simple as that.

• Backroom

Lowe's game seemed to get weaker as time went on with us. I'm guessing that's mainly because over the years the overall quality of the squad decreased, leaving Lowe more exposed year upon year. I'll never forget watching a match here a few years ago where he got the ball, saw an opposition player coming towards him, panicked, tripped over his own feet and landed on his arse. Fortunately it was only Ipswich so losing possession didn't come to anything, but he looked far too uncomfortable on the ball for a guy who had England youth caps. 

Birmingham only giving him a one year contract is telling, and his advocates are still ignoring his injury record over the past couple of years. Why bring somebody in on loan who is that injury prone? I've had enough of Rovers signing crocks for a lifetime, thanks. 

42 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

he must have improved playing in a lower quality u21 football another example of moving for the money.

He's 21, gone to the premiership, under a far better manager and being taught a footballing philosophy. Hope he did make more money why the hell shouldn't he? It's a job after all. Rovers dicked him around offering below par snidey offers, he rejected kept his head down and left this shambles.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Really? People that have watched Rovers for decades shouldn't be listened to? Paying customers shouldn't be listened to?  If the fans had been properly listened to in the last 7 years, we wouldn't be where we are now. We wouldn't have sacked Allardyce, we wouldn't have appointed Kean, we would have sacked Kean, we'd have got rid of Jason Lowe, we wouldn't have appointed Coyle, we wouldn't have made Jason Lowe our captain, and we'd have sacked Coyle earlier. But no, we shouldn't get a say. Futhermore, to piss off the fans at a time when there is a sense of positivity around the place would be suicidal from Mowbray, as he'd know if he listened to the fans. It wouldn't even surprise me if the rumour was put out to gauge the feeling amongst the fans.

Fans are the most important part of any club yet you think they shouldn't be listened to, beggar's belief.

Which fans should be listened to?

There are, rightly, many differing opinions on here, which should count?

Its not so much Lowe's ability for me. I think he could 'do a job' in this League (3rd division up vs plodders like Northampton and Rochdale). If he's going to be chucked in as a defensive central midfielder or right back in this awful league the chances are he'll be able to exist in our side most weeks without getting shown up as he did in the Championship against half decent opposition.

Just as important for me is the message it sends out.

Mowbray has gone to great lengths to bang on about doing things differently, building from the rubble of last season, developing a longer term structure with a minimum of the Championship in mind and longer term Premier League. He's talked at length about signings to excite the fans, a new approach to scouting, being more imaginative.

Bringing Lowe back flies in the face of that. He might well be up to the job of it in League One but we've seen from experience he's anything but a good un in the Championship, which is where we need to be next season. Its also showing a complete lack of imagination if we bring back someone who was a regular in the misery of the last 5 years. I'd welcome back Gestede, Rhodes, Cairney with open arms as the few bright spots but other than that I'd rather we tried to move on from the rest of it.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Changed his mind pretty rapid though eh ;) 

Very much so yes, knew he'd made a mistake and rectified it, not like this sorry bunch who run the show now, mate

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I hate how Lowe gets praise for "being mobile". He's a footballer, an athlete, of course he's mobile. It's all well and good having the lungs to run around the pitch more than anyone else but when those runs are as unproductive as his are it defeats the purpose. We have far better options than Jason Lowe both in our club and at other clubs that would be available to us.

Lowe is a backwards step. It's as simple as that.

For a defensive midfielder he was drawn to the ball too much without ever actually getting it for my liking. I remember seeing him get the run around in a pre season friendly by that guy that we wanted in Summer but who went to Bury ( Dawson ? ) . He was drawing him in, slipping a wall pass, skipping around Lowe and getting the ball back. Not once or twice , all bloody afternoon !

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong isnt going to be coming here to be a back up is he? 

Hes a goalscorer. 

Armstrong's story is from Newcastle sports reporters. So they have must have some basics to the story

Bell story is from Sky Sports reporter and Nixon back this up

You do realise he got half the amount of goals that Graham got last year? So why should he come straight into the team?

My point was more about you saying the Lowe rumour is just a rumour because you dont like that, yet on the same hand you are taking rumours for players you would like as gospel.

12 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t understand why bringing back a decent player who can cover multiple positions is going to massively decrease our chances on the pitch? Sounds a bit OTT

Personally, id rather we didn’t re-sign old players, but if we are talking a 6 month loan as a backup, I’d consider it a decent option.

Ill feeling? Are the majority of Rovers fans likely to get angry, boo and shout if JL is loaned and included in a squad? I very much doubt it, I’m sure that would depend on his performance. I’ve never quite understood the stick he gets, overall I never rated him as a “good”’player but there are far worse examples in our recent history. Lad never had an attacking bone in his body, but I always felt he could pass, read a game, immensely fit, works really hard. Probably why he didn’t immediately sink at RB in the prem.

Trouble is, he never got any better. The hangers on obviously pushed the likes of Lowe, Henley, Jake Kean et al for reasons beyond their “ability”.

Whilst I think many posts are completely ridiculous in the scale of their reactions, I’d also say skip this one, Tone.

Anyway...Where is this new pacy winger..!

Certainly cant pass or read a game. All of my ill feeling towards the potential signing is based on his lack of ability. Hes useless. That said, my point was more that in the summer we tried to move forward and get rid of all the rubbish that had helped to relegate us. It would make no sense to go back and get the supposed captain of that side. First time he misplaces a pass (most likely his first attempted pass) the fans will moan and groan knowing its a sign of whats to come. Best for all concerned if he stays away because you can already see what the fans think of him.

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

There may be nothing in the Lowe rumour. It was one Tweet from one journalist, and came across as a bit of putting 2 and 2 together, and making 5. I'm not sure Bayes has said anything of substance to back it up.

Bayes is a so called Rovers fan who's in denial about his real love for all things PNE but I don't think he's a mischief maker for one min he must have heard something.

Hopefully it all blows over or we can look forwards to him and Gallagher on the radio trying to justify Jason in the team again after they blatantly spent years scratching their heads at him in live commentary games :lol:

One thing I'm totally sure about is that, if Lowe is signed and played in the majority of the rest of the season, we will not get promoted.

A telling quote was from one of our resident ITKers unleaded earlier who said J-Lo was convinced he'd be inundated with offers at the end of last season yet only one was forthcoming. Now, after Brum have assessed his 'abilities' and decided they want shut he's cap in hand to the only club that ever played him. Also, if he comes back at a fraction of the wage he was paid previously that's some admission of how much a pisstake his previous contract was.

Just now, LDRover said:

One thing I'm totally sure about is that, if Lowe is signed and played in the majority of the rest of the season, we will not get promoted.

A telling quote was from one of our resident ITKers unleaded earlier who said J-Lo was convinced he'd be inundated with offers at the end of last season yet only one was forthcoming. Now, after Brum have assessed his 'abilities' and decided they want shut he's cap in hand to the only club that ever played him. Also, if he comes back at a fraction of the wage he was paid previously that's some admission of how much a pisstake his previous contract was.

If Bowyer isn't falling over himself to sign him I think that says a lot.

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For a defensive midfielder he was drawn to the ball too much without ever actually getting it for my liking. I remember seeing him get the run around in a pre season friendly by that guy that we wanted in Summer but who went to Bury ( Dawson ? ) . He was drawing him in, slipping a wall pass, skipping around Lowe and getting the ball back. Not once or twice , all bloody afternoon !

When he played RB last season I spent the entire game once predicting exactly what he was going to do. Get the ball, look forward wearily, realise he couldn't pick a pass out and either hump a hopeless ball down the line or cut back inside and pass it to the centre back. Rinse & repeat. There was 0 variation in his game. Even on the first game of the season vs Norwich they worked him out after 20 minutes and he lost the ball in that area a fair few times in the first half because of it.

He isn't a good player no matter how 'mobile' he is or how 'hard he works'.

On Jason Lowe ... i'm a No.

Playing devils advocate in the following circumstances resigning him wouldn't be terrible:

1) He's on a fraction of the wage he was on last time and is on at Birmingham (£10k a week) so roughly £2.5k a week.

2) We don't pay a transfer fee

3) Corey Evans leaves, then he can cover CM and RB.

4) His Medical was clean

5) Contract was to the end of the season only

He was at his best for Rovers when the opposition was on the counter attack, got back in very well but if thats your best quality then your struggling. I think League 1 is his level so could probably do a job for 5-10 games max till the end of the season. He's a solid pro and does genuinely care about the club.

I don't know how true this rumour is but I'd go nowhere near. As a previous poster suggested it sends out a bad message, we know he can't cut it in the championship, he's unpopular with the fans, he doesn't improve the first 11 or probably 2nd 11 in either of his positions. He doesn't fit the way Mowbray ideally wants to play as he can't physically pass the ball forward. He blocks the path of Tomlinson and Travis. He'll be on decent money most likely. He doesn't offer anything we don't already have especially in Smallwood (looks jaded needs a rest) who is everything that Lowe isn't. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Keep on jogging on.

Why?? I.asked simple questions

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Might be a reasonable question if he was getting paid thousands of pounds to come up with potential names, but until then it isn't.

Its very reasonable question to his complaint..but as I thought he would do not answer the question and throw his toys out of the pram

Archived