BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

When he played RB last season I spent the entire game once predicting exactly what he was going to do. Get the ball, look forward wearily, realise he couldn't pick a pass out and either hump a hopeless ball down the line or cut back inside and pass it to the centre back. Rinse & repeat. There was 0 variation in his game. Even on the first game of the season vs Norwich they worked him out after 20 minutes and he lost the ball in that area a fair few times in the first half because of it.

He isn't a good player no matter how 'mobile' he is or how 'hard he works'.

Bang on. For anyone advocating bringing him in as RB forget it - he's terrible wherever he plays. It's just he can go into hiding a little easier there than he can in the centre of the park.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top and bottom of it is it all comes down to how he'd be used, last time he was used incorrectly being no 1 starter and shoehorned into other positions often just to accommodate him i.e GB often made in game subs and moved him to right back when we had a RB on the bench just to bring on another mid etc etc

Wrong handling tarnished his rep with fans, didn't end up in a big transfer fee and didn't end up in a good career move for him at the end of his contract, they ALL got that wrong. Apart from the lad himself he always did his best and his bank balance was the real winner.

Used as he should have been then he'd have ended up a bit of an unsung hero in fans eyes I think, a great utility squad man he should have been instead of the insipid ineffective captain and player he became known as.

It could be rectified but I think it genuinely would turn out to be a rinse and repeat.

Last season leaves such a bad taste and Lowe was captain in all of that. An awful captain. It wasn't his fault and I blame Coyle for the hair brained idea of making a local / long serving player captain,completely ignoring if he had any other attributes which make a good captain. Mulgrew has ability,experience,achievements and attitude that other players look up to. I honestly think having Lowe captain was one of the reasons we went down. He did not lead that team at any time,let alone when backs were to the wall. Again,not his fault. Not all players are cut out to be captain. Coyle was to blame for such a ridiculous decision. He is tainted here and I would look at other options. 

Tomlinson is already a better player than Lowe ever was, plus we've got Whitingham and Evans who are both better.

I can't ever remember coming away from a game saying "Lowe played well today didn't he".

He's somehow made a fortune from being a professional footballer, but now maybe has been found out. Fair play to him, doesn't deserve any abuse, but I don't want him anywhere near the club again.

This Andy Bayes fella threw one hell of a grenade into the tent.

I remember being one of those thinking Lowe was a decent RB, but I was basing that based on a decent run of games at RB back in... 14/15 or 15/16?, but then he got hurt for awhile, and returned to midfield, where it was obvious that even if he's quite able to run around for 90mins, he'd gone from being an above average sprinter to an average/below average sprinter. He started pointing around a lot more than actually breaking up tackles himself...

Coyle was playing at RB during our horrible start last year, and I think it was QPR away last year where it was Conway and Lowe working on the right side, with Conway working his tail off to try to create anything, and Lowe was quite eager to get up there with him. You just felt sorry for Conway trying to work some plays with Lowe's stone feet...

He's probably a decent League 1/2 midfielder, and all credit to him for becoming a professional footballer through hard work more than talent, and I don't hold much ill will toward him given there's little sign he's had a poor attitude over his years at Rovers. Perhaps let his ego get inflated a bit.

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Last season leaves such a bad taste and Lowe was captain in all of that. An awful captain. It wasn't his fault and I blame Coyle for the hair brained idea of making a local / long serving player captain,completely ignoring if he had any other attributes which make a good captain. Mulgrew has ability,experience,achievements and attitude that other players look up to. I honestly think having Lowe captain was one of the reasons we went down. He did not lead that team at any time,let alone when backs were to the wall. Again,not his fault. Not all players are cut out to be captain. Coyle was to blame for such a ridiculous decision. He is tainted here and I would look at other options. 

The players know who the real captains were, Lowe having "captain" as his title wouldn't have meant anything to them. There was a lack of leadership across the entire team, which was only rectified when Mowbray came in and offered the players some actual hope and professionalism. Unfortunately it was too late.

Some interesting posts here on a thread dedicated to J-Lowe from 2015...

Personally have no "grudge" against Lowe and think he would an ok squad player in league 1 IF we are only paying a portion of his wage. IF Smallwood is banned, Evans injured and Whittingham injured/jaded then sure but Mowbray will piss off a large number of fans. Positives - he knows the setup, no relocation issues, knows the coaches and a number of the players and can be sent on his way at the end of the season.

All Said: TM should probably look elsewhere but i personally wouldn't have a problem with it

11 hours ago, savage90 said:

I'm surprised we didn't try to bring Connor Mahoney in on loan after selling him. 0 appearances yet for Bournemouth.

I floated that on the BRFCS Twitter & it came back as roughly 2:1 “No thanks”. There were some expletives but you get the idea...

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You do realise he got half the amount of goals that Graham got last year? So why should he come straight into the team?

My point was more about you saying the Lowe rumour is just a rumour because you dont like that, yet on the same hand you are taking rumours for players you would like as gospel.

Certainly cant pass or read a game. All of my ill feeling towards the potential signing is based on his lack of ability. Hes useless. That said, my point was more that in the summer we tried to move forward and get rid of all the rubbish that had helped to relegate us. It would make no sense to go back and get the supposed captain of that side. First time he misplaces a pass (most likely his first attempted pass) the fans will moan and groan knowing its a sign of whats to come. Best for all concerned if he stays away because you can already see what the fans think of him.

No no no to Lowe. Complete waste of space

Lowe needs to stay away for no other reason than he divides the fanbase - at a time when the fanbase is as united as it ever has been in the last 7 years. And needs to stay that way.

If Mowbray brings him back then it will show how out of touch he is with fans. Or he doesn’t care and just thinks “F you, I’m in charge”.

We need a different link or a positive new signing - and fast.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Lowe needs to stay away for no other reason than he divides the fanbase - at a time when the fanbase is as united as it ever has been in the last 7 years. And needs to stay that way.

If Mowbray brings him back then it will show how out of touch he is with fans. Or he doesn’t care and just thinks “F you, I’m in charge”.

I don't think he should come back,but what makes you assume Mowbray knows what the fans want? He isn't on social media. Who would relay this information to him? 

As I said,I don't want Lowe back,but is it really an issue worthy of a fan mutiny if he does return? 

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think he should come back,but what makes you assume Mowbray knows what the fans want? He isn't on social media. Who would relay this information to him? 

As I said,I don't want Lowe back,but is it really an issue worthy of a fan mutiny if he does return? 

Disunity and mutiny are different.

A manager should understand his fanbase. Or would he be excused if he brought back Kean as a first team coach?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You didn't answer my question. How is Mowbray meant to find out that the majority of fans don't want Lowe back?

I’ve no idea mate. I expect he doesn’t know how to use Twitter, Facebook, the Internet, computers, or read newspapers. I also expect he doesn’t know anyone who does, let alone have anyone at the club who might know and tell him.

It’s a thinker alright.

Anyway, can’t chat now, I’m off out for a first class stamp before the post office shuts. Fingers crossed he gets my letter before he signs him.

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I thought handing a season ticket back because you are so against a signing was was hitting the ceiling of overreaction, but this post smashed right through it Stuart.

Let me get this right... this link on its own is derailing our season because it divides fans? 

I think I need a drink.

Just now, RV Blue said:

The day Jason Lowe comes back is the day that I personally hand my season ticket to Mowbray and call it a day, absolute final straw (even though it'd be more than a straw)

On that basis I'm sure there's many fans who would welcome Lowe's return asap.

Ii is easy to see why Mowbray might want him back. I imagine he sees Lowe as a player who still has alot to offer and would be a strong player in the third division. Mowbray probably sees Lowe giving Smallwood the physical support he needs in midfield and knows he can also play at right back. Thus Mowbray would be getting 2 players for the price of one - and if it were a loan deal until the end of the season with Birmingham paying most of his wages then all the better for the number crunchers at Ewood. 

Just now, Biz said:

I thought handing a season ticket back because you are so against a signing was was hitting the ceiling of overreaction, but this post smashed right through it Stuart.

Let me get this right... this link on its own is derailing our season because it divides fans? 

I think I need a drink.

On the strength of that post, I think you’ve already been drinking.

Or maybe you are simply frothing at the mouth in your haste to try to shoot me down about... well about anything really.

Put the sherry down, read my post again, take a breath and have another go. :rolleyes: 

Archived